Wiki Posts
Search

Visa Exemption Program + Extension

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2021, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Visa Exemption Program + Extension

Dear All

I am currently looking into the possibility to travel to Thailand at the end of April. I understand that Thailand currently allows a 45 day stay without a visa (for certain countries) until 21 September 2021:

Note: Thailand has allowed foreigners to enter the kingdom by air under the Visa Exemption Program for 45 days. The foreigners must obtain certificate of entry (COE), provide COVID-19 insurance and undergo mandatory quarantine.
Furthermore, I understand that an extension is possible for another 30 days:
Travelers who enter Thailand under the tourist visa exemption category are allowed to apply for an additional extension at the Immigration Bureau for a period up to 30 days.
The confusing part for me is that it is a requirement to have a return flight within the 30 / 45 days:
Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must provide proof of adequate funding for the duration of stay in Thailand at the port of entry (i.e., traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family), proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date. Otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained.
How do you actually handle this in praxis nowadays?

Thanks
MTH
Old Mar 13, 2021, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd read/ask on Facebook, "Thai Visa Advice" and "Thai Visa Advice - and everything else".

People are just now starting to extend their, let's call it "Quarantine Entry", or QE, first with a 30 day extension (on a Tourist Visa Extension/TVE:30+15=45 days or TR60, the STV is different, and then, after that, with a 60 day Covid Extension.

Immigration is (in some/many but not all offices) still issuing 60 day Covid extensions now out to the end of May. At some point Imm. will stop issuing 60 day Covid extensions, I think.

I guess they've changed their return ticket, or thrown it away?

I think the insurance just needs to cover the initl portion of the stay, so 45 days.

How long do you want to stay? 75 days? More details will yield better recommendations. Your passport allows for a Tourist Visa Exemption, right?

Maybe consider the TR60, which with a single 30 day extension gives you 90 days.

Getting an extension is not without challenges. Very few people are denied, but some paperwork requirements (e.g. proof of domicile/TM30) can prove vexing.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I heard that nowadays it is very easy to extend your stay at any immigration. But better to ask, what documents are needed (from immigration to immigration different) to avoid to have to go twice...

many airlines offer flexible tickets during the pandemic; return leg can be postponed...
another way would be to buy a ticket to one of a country in the region and get a refund or if a budget carrier, dump it...

of course you also need a COE to enter Thailand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.