Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

LAX to BKK (in coach): Which sub-$500 RT Chinese cheapie airline is best?

LAX to BKK (in coach): Which sub-$500 RT Chinese cheapie airline is best?

Old Jan 31, 19, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
UPDATE: Looks like time is running out on me...just about all the lowest ones I'm seeing are Air China through PEK from gateways like LAX or SFO, so barring some last-minute sale by somebody else within the next week or so I might have to go with that (in back, of course). Sounds like the reviews aren't that great.
Old Jan 31, 19, 7:19 am

Just to update my comment from October....I have transited PEK again since my comment in October. The transit area is easier to find now, but the process has changed a bit since last time I went through. It's to your benefit that your incoming and outgoing flight are in the same terminal, and ideally on the same airline or at least in the same alliance. You need to show your onward boarding pass when transiting, so if you do not have one, there's a desk where you have to go get one.

I can't help you with info about Air China economy, as I was up front. Food was interesting, but I was told that it was Beijing style, which I am not used to, at all.
RustyC likes this.
Old Feb 7, 19, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
UPDATE: Looks like time is running out on me...just about all the lowest ones I'm seeing are Air China through PEK from gateways like LAX or SFO, so barring some last-minute sale by somebody else within the next week or so I might have to go with that (in back, of course). Sounds like the reviews aren't that great.
Cathay has a sale out of JFK to BKK right now for $730 R/T. From Dulles it's around $900. Saves a long positioning flight to the west coast.
Old Feb 7, 19, 10:16 am

I just assumed OP was in Los Angeles
Old Feb 8, 19, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott PP, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
I just assumed OP was in Los Angeles
His location is listed as Atlanta.
Old Feb 22, 19, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
We have a winner....

OK, finally, the winner is.....

Xiamen

Got a RT out of LAX for $530 cash equivalent where the FlexPoints covered all but $5.28 (they insist any overage, however small, be charged to their card). Am indeed in Atlanta so I'll once again need positioning flights...I booked the outbound on Frontier for $64 OW including one bag (their "perks" bundle at $20 including the bag was cheaper than $30 a la carte). Additionally, the 10:10 p.m. MF departure out of LAX helped greatly with connections. I still have to book the LAX-ATL return and may have to use a non-saver F9 award, as it's during the nasty late-March period.

The connections in XMN are about three hours on the outbound and five on the return, so hopefully there's no logjam with that much time. It's 787s on the transpac segments. The fare is S class and I plugged that into the WhereToCredit site and it came up with 0%s across the board (even Saudia, etc.). But if I read the bag policy correctly I get an extra bag (3 rather than 2) as a DL silver medallion, in case it's needed on the return. Maybe they'll recognize my status with a bite-size lead toy or something.

Had thought about booking Hong Kong Airlines but the reports on their finances were worrisome...if they shut down and I had a ticket bought with points, I'd probably just get the $5.28 back from the credit card company and told to find my own way back from BKK.

Anyway, anyone with experience with this is welcome (even encouraged) to point out where I messed up.
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: Hyatt EXP, Marriott Gold, KE, AMX MR, CSR UR
I'm surprised KE doesn't have good deals. Based from IAD we regularly get IAD-ICN-BKK-ICN-IAD on KE for $700s.
Old Mar 5, 19, 6:47 pm

Which of the Chinese airlines would you stay away from?
right now China Eastern seems to have the lowest prices out of LAX , i never flew with them ,
Hong Kong airline is often cheap but not sure if they will be around for long ( probably will be)

I am not looking for much 2 x 22kg suitcases and not too much drama is the main things ,

There are just so many Chinese airlines flying out of LAX now that it's hard to know if one is much better or worse than the other...

Thanks for your thoughts
Old Mar 8, 19, 2:06 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OneWorld Emerald
Had a sweet experience with Xiamen Air. They provided me a free hotel for my layover. Only downside was that they offered the same meal during the flight twice, lol. They had a beautiful 787 aircraft tho :-)
Old Mar 8, 19, 2:39 pm

How long was your layover ?
and was that in both directions?

Thanks for the info

​​​​​​
Old Mar 8, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Which of the Chinese airlines would you stay away from?
right now China Eastern seems to have the lowest prices out of LAX , i never flew with them ,
Hong Kong airline is often cheap but not sure if they will be around for long ( probably will be)

I am not looking for much 2 x 22kg suitcases and not too much drama is the main things ,

There are just so many Chinese airlines flying out of LAX now that it's hard to know if one is much better or worse than the other...

Thanks for your thoughts

im on one of those cheap MU fares LAX-BKK. Routing through NKG. I have only found one thing online about connecting Nanjing, and it sounds horrible.

Anyone else have experience connecting in NKG?
Old Mar 8, 19, 6:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters View Post
im on one of those cheap MU fares LAX-BKK. Routing through NKG. I have only found one thing online about connecting Nanjing, and it sounds horrible.
Anyone else have experience connecting in NKG?
No, but I would ask in the China forum
Old Mar 9, 19, 1:28 am

How long was your layover ?
and was that in both directions?

Thanks for the info

​​​​​​
8 hours.

Xiamen Airlines offers passengers transit accommodation services free of charge, when the tickets satisfying the following conditions apply:

1. All flights are carried by Xiamen Airlines. (code-sharing, chartered flights are not applicable);

2. Connection time of transit passengers is within 6 to 24 hours in Xiamen (G/Z/X/O Class are not applicable);

3. Must contain at least one international(regional) flight in the ticket;

4. The service contains only free hotel, passengers have to pay for meals and the other transportation fee.
Old Mar 9, 19, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by EuroFlash View Post
8 hours.
4. The service contains only free hotel, passengers have to pay for meals and the other transportation fee.
did you take a taxi to the hotel and back ?
And how did you pay for stuff ?
was the hotel in a city area so it's easy to walk around and go shopping etc

From what I have read it's pretty much a cashless society ,
​​​​​​
This sounds like an interesting plus if there is not too much drama !
Old Mar 9, 19, 9:09 am

did you take a taxi to the hotel and back ?
And how did you pay for stuff ?
was the hotel in a city area so it's easy to walk around and go shopping etc

From what I have read it's pretty much a cashless society ,
​​​​​​
This sounds like an interesting plus if there is not too much drama !
Yes, staff would print out hotel voucher in Chinese that you'd hand over to taxi driver. Take cash money from ATM. I found it difficult to find an ATM anywhere near the hotel. This was my hotel:

Hotel was definitely in a city area so it was possible to walk around for shopping and having food. I arrived early morning and hotel even provided me with breakfast vouchers!
Area looked like this:

Last edited by EuroFlash; Mar 9, 19 at 9:25 am

Search this Thread