Search

Yi Peng Lantern Festival Chiang Mai

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Yi Peng Lantern Festival Chiang Mai

Planning a trip to Chiang mai 11/23-11/26
So.. Is it worth paying $100+ to buy a ticket to attend one of these festivals?
Just interested flying a sky lantern and watching. Heard it happens pretty much every where and paid sites are for tourist?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This event is celebrated throughout the north (Lanna), but most popular in Chiang Mai.

Check the date(s), it might be celebrated on Nov. 22 this year, the day before Loy Krathong, which is Nov. 23. The full moon is on the 23rd I think.

Most of those mass events in Chiang Mai, and nearby locations (Doi Saket) are sold out already.

You can buy a lantern for ~ 50 baht - they're easy to assemble, you just need a lighter to get the "candle" going, and then a few minutes for it to be ready to be released, with two people on either side. Nawarat Bridge over the Ping River, in Chiang Mai ~ 1 Km east of the old city, used to be a popular public launching site. You can also check nearby temples where they may be holding a festival, and launching is allowed there as well.

VoiD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.