Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thai Sim Card

Thai Sim Card

Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

I found what looks like a cheap way of buying Sim Card at BKK via Klook
Sign up via this link and get free credit https://www.klook.com/invite/Y23P4?c=GBP
then click
https://www.klook.com/activity/1235-...m-card-bangkok
  • DTAC Happy Tourist Super 4G 8 day SIM card (available in Standard, Micro or Nano size)
  • Maximum speed of up to 3GB
  • Speed drops to 384 kbps after using up 3GB (unlimited data usage)
  • Prepaid THB100 call credits (equivalent to approx. 30 minutes of talk time)
  • 4G/3G speeds will depend on the coverage area
BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport (Klook Counter)
Klook counter is located at B Floor, RC6 (next to Airport Rail-Link Station)
Present your Klook voucher to any Klook staff at the booth to have them scan your QR code for redemption

My question is - where is B Floor - is it a trek for arriving passengers?(who intend to leave via AOT Taxi)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My question is - where is B Floor - is it a trek for arriving passengers?(who intend to leave via AOT Taxi)

This is the bottom-most floor, the basement, follow the signs for the Airport Rail Link. You'll arrive on level 2 (Arriving Immigration, baggage carousels, Customs, AoT Limo(), so you'll have to go down two floors to pick up your SIM, then back up two floors to get your AoT car. It can be a trek - a combination of travelators and/or elevators are available, all to save 150 baht. You could buy the same SIM from the DTAC kiosk (staffed, and they have an ATM-like machine) for 299 baht right on level 2 near door #7 .
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

thanks @transpac
Klook also do this offer to collect at DTAC kiosk for THB250
Maybe worth it if you need a few?

https://www.klook.com/activity/9494-...-card-bangkok/
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

DTAC counter pickup is a lot better - they are right at the arrivals level.
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dave111
thanks @transpac

You'd spend 250 THB instead of taking the escalator down 2 levels? Seems rather silly to me.
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:26 am
Original Poster

with 2 kids in tow, in an unfamiliar airport after a 10hour flight.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Escalators in the middle of the floor and highly visible and if you need to head down to Floor 1 for a taxi anyway then B level is one below that. Otherwise I'm at a loss to understand why you'd pay 250 THB when you could just go to the DTAC desk with no prior arrangements and get a SIM without the fee.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

@dsquared37 klook is cheaper not dearer
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:54 pm

If you are going around several Asian countries, I highly recommend the AIS Sim2fly 4GB/8 Days Traveller Roaming. I used them in Japan, Hong Kong and Thailand and it worked on 4G data with fantastic coverage. Another plus is, you could pick these cards up on eBay or Phone shops in Hong Kong without the need to surrender your passport, an added plus as I do worry about these telco shops taking my passport details. Quite cheap too at HKD90.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aeolus
If you are going around several Asian countries, I highly recommend the AIS Sim2fly 4GB/8 Days Traveller Roaming. I used them in Japan, Hong Kong and Thailand and it worked on 4G data with fantastic coverage. Another plus is, you could pick these cards up on eBay or Phone shops in Hong Kong without the need to surrender your passport, an added plus as I do worry about these telco shops taking my passport details. Quite cheap too at HKD90.
All three major service providers here in Thailand offer a selection of these roaming SIMs:

The ready-to-use SIM2Fly SIM Roaming

SIM GO! Inter

https://pantip.com/topic/36302316

While I wouldn't recommend these for use in Thailand - I'd just get a standard or "Tourist" SIM, they do offer some advantages to those in Thailand, or perhaps using Thailand as a jumping off point first, for travel beyond Thailand. And you have the SIM in hand. These are used primarily for data, with voice and messaging via an app like LINE. That said, buying a local SIM is perhaps the best solution.

I've used the AIS SIM2Fly and DTAC SIM Go Inter products quite a few times, and highly recommend them.

I'd be surprised if you could activate these without proper registration, but maybe there is some sort of black/grey market for these? Whenever I buy these, and I bought three yesterday for a trip to Hong Kong and Macau, I have to show my original passport.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One Klook info site says that their booth on the "B" level is open 08:00 - 23:00, otherwise pay a bit more and pick up at DTAC, or just pick up the "regular" Tourist SIM at DTAC, or AIS, or TrueMove H on level 2. The AIS, DTAC and TrueMove booths are open 7x24.

Pick up time: 8:00am-11:00pm. Collection will not be available outside of this schedule. If you will arrive at BKK airport past the Klook counter's service hours, please book via Thailand 4G SIM Card (BKK/DMK Airport DTAC Counter Pick Up) for 24 hour service.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dsquared37
thanks @transpac

You'd spend 250 THB instead of taking the escalator down 2 levels? Seems rather silly to me.
That Klook deal does NOT mean you pay an extra 250bht to pick it up at a DTAC counter.

It's a 250bht DTAC SIM card which the customer can pick up at the DTAC counter instead of the Klook counter. Same exact price - just different pickup location.

Since Klook offers a discount while the DTAC automatic vending machine doesn't, it's both convenient AND saves money.

Suvarnabhumi (BKK) Airport Pick Up
Package Details Inclusive Of:

DTAC Happy Tourist Super 4G 8 day SIM card (available in Standard, Micro or Nano size)
SIM Card Details

Maximum speeds up to 3GB data usage
Speed drops to 384 kbps after using up 3GB (unlimited data usage)
Free calls to other DTAC Happy Tourist Super 4G SIM card users
Prepaid THB100 call credits (equivalent to approx. 30 minutes of talk time)
Please note: 4G/3G speeds will depend on the coverage area
Regular price - 299bht - https://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/pr...urist-sim.html

Klook price - 250bht.

Sign-up link discounts by another 2.4GBP so we're down to about 150bht.... and the SIM card can be picked up at arrivals level.

What's not to like?

Last edited by Plato90s; Jul 28, 2018 at 10:47 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plato90s
That Klook deal does NOT mean you pay an extra 250bht to pick it up at a DTAC counter.
Thanks, I got tripped up on that part. Never dealt with the short life tourist SIMs before.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

picked up sim at airport near luggage collection
super easy. think it was dtac - it was next to the AOT desk we used
lovely jubbly
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Personally I don't think any of the "tourist" SIM cards are a good deal. I like going to the FamilyMart just past all the AIS/True/dtac counters and getting an 88THB AIS 4G Net SIM (1mbps for 7 days) or Zeed SIM (500mb for 30 days) for 50THB. Depends on what your needs are. Can then top up or change packages via the AIS app or I believe using vouchers and SMS codes. The only thing you can't do, I found out the hard way, is add a SIM2Fly package, those apparently can only be added to SIM2Fly SIMs (which I think can also be topped up and have a local plan added, but I've never tried this).

The FamilyMart also has regular SIMs for dtac, I don't remember if True was there. They will also register for you. Having done this twice, it's as easy as the telco counters and much less expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.