Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Thai Sim Card

Does this look like a decent deal.
cheers
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TrueMove-...IAAOSwI8laFDl-
Old Jun 15, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I would just wait and buy a SIM card from one of the counters at BKK after you exit customs and immigration. As I recall, prices start at 200 or 300 thb. So the price you are seeing on Ebay is about the same as you'd pay in the airport. I've used the airport counters for TRUE or DTAC SIMS many times. It's fast, and they will install the SIM and activate it for you. Since activation, and proper application of credits, can sometimes be a bit of a mystery that varies from country to country, I think its well worth while to have their help. Have your passport ready, they will take a copy in order to meet legal requirements, and cash to pay for the SIM.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:44 am

You need to register the sim card otherwise you will only be able to receive calls. So it probably will not be a lot of use unless its already registered best to wait buy in Thailand then choose a package from the True website or install the iservice app from True.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you
just thought it would be easier to do in advance
Old Jun 15, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No. Wait until you get there. It will take max 5 min in the airport when you get there (unless there is a serious line of people waiting). You need to show your passport for registration.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:57 am

Agreed, zero point in buying this in advance.

If you want, you can preorder one for pickup at the airport for 3.5 £ from klook though
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Also easier at the counter since the staff will configure the mobile data option for you.

First time I used Klook, it took me several tries to get the data setting right.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:52 pm

TRUE even has a kiosk you can buy it from (no need to deal with a person).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:02 am
Original Poster

best sim for a week - need about 1 or 2gb data and few calls
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:44 am

Plenty of options if you want to use True .
???????????? ??? ???????? ? TrueMove H
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I have no preference for network
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:56 pm

For one week, all the prices are fairly similar. Just go with the network you like or what line is the shortest. Coverage is about the same in major areas, speeds are similar as well. The cheapest option would probably be picking up a SIM at 7-11 and doing a top up for a few dollars, but it might be a little difficult if you can't speak or read Thai. It's not going to be a substantial savings going that route, especially just for a week. There are tourist SIMs available very cheap at the airport and you get the peace of mind that everything is working before you walk away from the booth.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
For one week, all the prices are fairly similar. Just go with the network you like or what line is the shortest. Coverage is about the same in major areas, speeds are similar as well. The cheapest option would probably be picking up a SIM at 7-11 and doing a top up for a few dollars, but it might be a little difficult if you can't speak or read Thai. It's not going to be a substantial savings going that route, especially just for a week. There are tourist SIMs available very cheap at the airport and you get the peace of mind that everything is working before you walk away from the booth.
7-11 and Family Mart no longer stock Thai SIM cards since the ruling military junta started requiring Thai ID or passport for registration when purchasing one.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
7-11 and Family Mart no longer stock Thai SIM cards since the ruling military junta started requiring Thai ID or passport for registration when purchasing one.
Wasn't aware of this when I went to Chiang Mai last year. Asked at a couple of 7-11's, which would all say "sold out" and to keep walking towards some other branch down the road. Turns out there was one 7-11 that would have stock and do the passport registration thing.

Lesson learned was to def take care of it at the airport, which is what OP should do
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:33 am
Original Poster

thank you all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.