Wiki Posts
Search

Phuket airport arrival and departure questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Phuket airport arrival and departure questions

Hi all,

We'll be in Phuket in December for the first time since January 2015, and my understanding is that a new international terminal has opened at HKT since we were there last. Last time we were there we arrived on a Dragonair flight from HKG and the immigration experience was...not the best. I seem to recall we were in a dark, dingy, HOT room with long, disorganized lines and a lot of confusion. Did I mention HOT? Is the international arrival experience significantly improved with the new terminal? We'll be coming in on AirAsia from SIN this time.

As for the departure, we've got a single ticket HKT-BKK-HKG. HKT-BKK is on Thai, and BKK-HKG is on Ethiopian. I've been told that even though the HKT-BKK segment is domestic, we will actually check in at the international terminal at HKT and clear customs/passport control/etc in HKT? Is this true? So then at BKK are we basically considered transiting international passengers? Do we go through security, through a passport check, or what at BKK? What is this CIQ I keep hearing about? The info on the BKK airport website is a little vague IMO.

Last question, since our departing flight from HKT is a Thai Airways domestic flight to BKK, I guess we'll be in the domestic terminal, which will be the same terminal we were in back in 2015 when there was only one terminal, correct? So we'll check in at the international terminal but then walk to the domestic terminal?

Thanks for any advice! Last time we were there we loved everything about Phuket except the airport experience, and it was really only the arrival that was unpleasant. The departure experience was fine.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
1. The international arrivals experience is much improved. It's at the new terminal. Bright, airy, airconditioned. Lines range from none to 30 minutes+ long, depending on what time you land.

2. CIQ=Customer in Quarantine(?) Means you've already cleared immigration. You'll be given a CIQ sticker which identifies you as such. In BKK you will indeed be an international transfer passenger. You will be directed to a security line and then end up in the airside international departure hall.

3. Upon departure in HKT, you do indeed check in at the international terminal. You actually will stay there and board the aircraft from the international side.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, justforfun. Sounds like the new HKT experience is much improved coming and going!
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
2. CIQ=Customer in Quarantine(?)
Customs. Immigration. Quarantine. I believe.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:56 am

All info above correct.

There can be long queues at immigration both on arrival and departure at the "new" terminal which now looks old! Just depends on how many flights....plus on arrival they can decide to scan every suitcase at customs so another long queue as only one scanner.

Also not a lot of seating if it is full.

You can buy fast track immigration with Coral Phuket but the lounge is crap.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks, Cyan. That's helpful. Any thoughts on how early to arrive for a 10:55am flight on a Friday in Dec? I suppose that's the high season?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by rugbyshirt
Thanks, Cyan. That's helpful. Any thoughts on how early to arrive for a 10:55am flight on a Friday in Dec? I suppose that's the high season?
High Season proper starts 15th onwards.

I think Thai will let you check in earlier than the 2 hours, haven't used them since the new airport opened, some airlines do not open the desks before. To be honest if you do not need to do anything other than grab a drink then getting there about two hours and 15 mins before should be okay, I would check with staff where you are staying, they usually know if there are problems. Your main issue will be the time getting to the airport due to the traffic and road works, again check with where you are staying, their drivers will know.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:51 am

Can also confirm that everything is much improved in Thailand now that they've improved the airport process.

Going back next year!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Formal announcement yesterday here in Phuket - to officially "open" the newly renovated Domestic Terminal.
7 airbridges (gates 4-11)
Lots of space, new amenities and the air conditioners seem to be working again

Last ongoing work is to link the Domestic and International Terminals a little better. Currently its a long walk down a glass corridor that is hotter than the sun.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by seavisionburma
7 airbridges (gates 4-11)
Which one is missing?
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by ft101
Which one is missing?
Haha well spotted, thanks for that ft101 !
My apologies to all - its Gates 4-10

Anyway I just flew out of the Phuket Domestic terminal this morning on a flight to Bangkok.
Pleased to report that ALL the new air conditioning units have now been installed airside and they're blowing arctic-like winds
Heaps of space adjacent to each gate area.
95% of the concessions are open (shops restaurants massage etc). Prices still expensive but comparable to most airports. You can still get the 10 baht bottles of water too (edict from the miltiary a few years back )

AND there are cold water coolers adjacent to each gate. Can fill up water bottles airside (this is a box ticker for me in an airport)

Last edited by seavisionburma; Jul 3, 2018 at 2:30 am Reason: fixed typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.