Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Suvarnabhumi Airport

Suvarnabhumi Airport

Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-UA Silver | Global Entry | Ex-HH Gold
Suvarnabhumi Airport

I don't speak Thai but have to meet a Thai friend in the airport who I will be staying with. Going from USA to BKK. Does anyone have any idea where I can meet them so it won't be too difficult to find? Any pre-security places near ANA? Or is the baggage area (where I normally meet people in the USA) reasonable there as well. I just am not sure because its a different airport and it will be 1-2am when I arrive.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gregoryad
I don't speak Thai but have to meet a Thai friend in the airport who I will be staying with. Going from USA to BKK. Does anyone have any idea where I can meet them so it won't be too difficult to find? Any pre-security places near ANA? Or is the baggage area (where I normally meet people in the USA) reasonable there as well. I just am not sure because its a different airport and it will be 1-2am when I arrive.
You can't meet people at the baggage claim. It is part of the secure area and people can't go there without an official airport ID. I never understood the weird part of US airports where anyone can got to baggage claim. And potentially unmonitored take any item they want.

There is an area where most of the hotels do their meet and greets, and it is probably the easiest place. The terminal exit doors are numbered, so just agree to meet at a specific door.
​​​​​​
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL PM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
1) Set up your phone so you can make calls in Thailand.
2) Buy a SIM card in the baggage claim area before departing so you can call.
3) All international arrivals funnel out in the same place so it's easy to meet as soon as you come out of baggage claim.4) Depending on how you're traveling out of BKK, meet at a) the entrance to the train, a specific door number on the arrivals level, or c) the lobby of the Novotel Hotel (3 minute underground walk).
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can't meet people at the baggage claim. It is part of the secure area and people can't go there without an official airport ID. I never understood the weird part of US airports where anyone can got to baggage claim. And potentially unmonitored take any item they want.

There is an area where most of the hotels do their meet and greets, and it is probably the easiest place. The terminal exit doors are numbered, so just agree to meet at a specific door.
​​​​​​
In the US a person can not enter the baggage claim area for Intl flights.

that said whats to stop me from simply picking up any bag at BKK say I flew with just carry-on.They dont check each nag against the bag tag the person is holding. or I checked 1 bag and pick up 2
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
1) Set up your phone so you can make calls in Thailand.
2) Buy a SIM card in the baggage claim area before departing so you can call.
3) All international arrivals funnel out in the same place so it's easy to meet as soon as you come out of baggage claim.4) Depending on how you're traveling out of BKK, meet at a) the entrance to the train, a specific door number on the arrivals level, or c) the lobby of the Novotel Hotel (3 minute underground walk).
Okay, so I will tell them to meet me at international arrivals exit place. That will be the easiest thank you.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Okay, so I will tell them to meet me at international arrivals exit place. That will be the easiest thank you.
You need to specify a specific door number even at the international arrival level, as there are MANY exits and the person you're meeting won't be able to enter the area that's post-customs. It's sort of a cordoned-off retail area.

I suggest something like door #6 or #7 - that's past the initial crush and you'll be able to get a SIM card on your way to that door.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Plato90s will do. Is there any closer to ANA if possible? I don't know how they funnel out but ill look at the airport map.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by craz
In the US a person can not enter the baggage claim area for Intl flights.

that said whats to stop me from simply picking up any bag at BKK say I flew with just carry-on.They dont check each nag against the bag tag the person is holding. or I checked 1 bag and pick up 2
I know it is a domestic arrivals case in the US, but I don't know if it is all airports. I have never seen this in other countries on domestic arrivals

In theory luggage could be taken by strangers in the secure area as well And there are a fair amount of stories about people taking the wrong suitcase. Though that is usually more absent minded than ill intended.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

All over both of my suitcases is tape and reflectors. Makes for easy spotting.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: EK Pleb

OP.... As has already been indicated, members of the public meeting passengers at BKK are not allowed into the baggage reclaim area as this would mean passing through the customs control which is a restricted area.

When you exits from the customs control area (which is opposite door number 9 that leads to the roadway) turn right and make your way along the wide walk way towards door number 4 where there is a designated meeting point that is marked with a big blue and white sign suspended from the ceiling.

FYI... members of the public meeting arriving passengers are not permitted to enter the wide arrival corridor past door 4 - only official/registers drivers/guides are allowed to go to the exit from the customs control area.

Suggest you wear a red rose in your button hole or carry a copy of the New York Times so your friend can recognise you

Hope this helps and all goes well.

Last edited by Oldtiger; Mar 20, 2018 at 2:57 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Download Line application. I think 99.9% Thais use it Then use free airport wi-fi. If you have T-mobile then there is no need to change any SIMs.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks. Plato90s will do. Is there any closer to ANA if possible? I don't know how they funnel out but ill look at the airport map.
Agree with recommendation to use a door number as a meeting point. The area after baggage claim exit can be rather crowded with people, so using a door number greatly reduces wandering around. The pic (from internet) below shows the door number "3" marking. They are easy to find.

If you need a SIM card for your phone, there are numerous vendors that have store fronts in the same area...between the numbered exit doors. You will need to show your passport, but is a pretty easy process. They will even install and activate the SIM card / calling plan / wifi plan for you...just ask.
Pic (from internet) below shows some of the SIM shop stalls.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Near ANA?

Unless you are taking yet another flight, which seems unlikely, then ALL international arrivals funnel through the same exits. Doesn't matter if it's ANA or JAL - you end up in the same place.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:24 pm

The map above also shows a customs exit roughly opposite doors 5/6, so depending on the baggage carousel used, that may be the closest one. I would suggest meeting around door 7 as it's between the two exits and will be less crowded than the official meeting point at door 4.

Don't worry about the greeter's access, they can walk up the main walkway, the one behind the escalators etc or even outside of the building to get there. No-one is going to stop them.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ft101
The map above also shows a customs exit roughly opposite doors 5/6, so depending on the baggage carousel used, that may be the closest one. I would suggest meeting around door 7 as it's between the two exits and will be less crowded than the official meeting point at door 4.

Don't worry about the greeter's access, they can walk up the main walkway, the one behind the escalators etc or even outside of the building to get there. No-one is going to stop them.
There's a reason doors 3 and 4 are crowded, because often security refuses to allows non-pax access to doors of higher numbers (at least 5 and 6). Does the area around 7-10 have access for non arrival pax?

Like was suggested earlier, door 3 is a good meeting place and SIM cards are available on the way there if necessary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.