Living in Phuket ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Living in Phuket ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
My trips to Phuket were in 1995, 2004 (before the tsunami) and 2015. It really went downhill in that time, thanks mostly to effects of rampant, haphazard development and just too many people in general. The transportation situation is so bad and exploitative that it makes Pattaya look almost sane, and because the daytime hub-and-spoke baht bus system out of Phuket town is the only affordable option, you've had years of moneyed expats registering cars because of not having better options. That creates worsening backups on the 2-lane roads around the island, especially going into the major hotel areas. Don't count on expensive infrastructure upgrades coming along quickly to address such problems.
To be fair, there have been 3 underpasses built with a 4th still under construction so money has been spent, far more than the actual cost of the construction due to corruption! 'Moneyed expats' have not caused the traffic problems...that was the government wanting all Thais to have cars so easy credit to buy plus the last few years the Chinese have arrived in their thousands so the amount of minivans and coaches has increased dramatically.

Plus we do have 3 lanes on most major roads, unfortunately one is used for illegal parking especially at the 24 minimarts or for people who do not wish to drive on the right side of the road as that would take longer to get to their destination. When there are two lanes these are often used as 4 lanes anyway!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello,
Thank you for all your information and the links you posted, I am going to see this weekend and I found many answers to my questions and concerns.
Do you know if airbnb is illegal in thailand? for a little time maybe I'll find something better and cheaper than a hotel?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by thomassamsi
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions 2lovelife and MaryneKoslo, I can already see it more clearly.
Just this week I would like to contact some agencies to manage housing, I saw that there were condos that look very nice.
For the move I intend to buy or rent a scooter, even if the traffic is complicated I feel that it is almost mandatory to move everywhere.
This is not the funniest party, I confirm MaryneKoslo, a lot of stress, lack of time and papers to regroup.
To transport your personal belongings, you have achieved a good service? I can not see anything that suits me ..
Maybe we can meet up for a beer or something to eat when we get to phuket?
Thomas,

Sorry I hadn't been on the forum for a little while

Of course we can meet for a beer, would be great !!!!!

As regards personal belongings, what do you mean by "achieved a good service"? I hired a moving company for my relocation. There are a lot of moving companies on the internet. It can be a bit confusing , and it's not always easy to know which companies are reliable or not. A good friend of mine recently hired a moving company too, for his moving to Hua Hin. Obviously, hiring a company has a cost, but we both chose this option, because we had too many things to move.

I'll let you know
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:07 am

Hello,
Thank you for all your information and the links you posted, I am going to see this weekend and I found many answers to my questions and concerns.
Do you know if airbnb is illegal in thailand? for a little time maybe I'll find something better and cheaper than a hotel?
No, not illegal especially as you require over 30 days.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your information cyan 23, I know that in some Asian countries, Airbnb is illegal.
MaryneKoslo I'm just looking for a good agency, with good comments on the internet, good service and good follow-up throughout the process. I am ready to put a certain price because they are mostly objects with sentimental value. Maybe you could give me the name of this company? I will continue my research on my side
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:55 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Be careful what you bring to Phuket.
I wouldn’t bring valuables. Your choice.Also, the humidity could ruin a lot of things you wouldn’t think that it would.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:23 pm

Hello everyone,
Thanks for your information cyan 23, I know that in some Asian countries, Airbnb is illegal.
MaryneKoslo I'm just looking for a good agency, with good comments on the internet, good service and good follow-up throughout the process. I am ready to put a certain price because they are mostly objects with sentimental value. Maybe you could give me the name of this company? I will continue my research on my side
Hi thomassamsi,

I asked to my friend. The company is reportedly very reliable and handled everything for my friend from door to door. Maybe not the cheapest, but surely one that you can rely on .

I hope it will help you. Please let me know how it ends up; I don't like when an OP starts a thread, get the information, and then never let us know how it ended up ahahah.

Here is the website, I guess you can just contact them and ask for a quotation: https://siam-relocation.com

Cheers !
Old Apr 3, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am going to keep an eye on this thread. I'll be spending a month at Phuket Stash (google map link). The premium outlet mall and british int'l school are in the neighborhood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.