Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Arriving Late in BKK - Dining and Transport Options

Old Mar 7, 18, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying in from Ventiane for a 24hour stopover enroute back to Singapore. Arriving via Bangkok Air in the evening around 8pm and flying off the next evening at around the same time.

I am currently booked at Holiday Inn Bangkok. Are there any late night dining options around the area? Preferably Thai food and I'm perfectly okay with street food too. Ideally not too far from the area, as I want to maximise my time there and go shopping at Big C Centre thereafter.

Also any recommendations for local Thai food for breakfast? Preferably open before 10am.

What's the best way from BKK to Holiday Inn Bangkok? Should I take the airport rail link, get off at Rajaprarop and grab a cab from there?

Should I consider using Uber/Grab in Bangkok over taxis? I use them extensively in Singapore.

I need to be at BKK by 6.30pm for my return flight. How much time should I cater for the journey to the airport? Am I right in assuming that the airport rail link would be the best option?

My last visit to BKK was in 2011 so I'm very excited about returning! Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old Mar 7, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Holiday Inn Bangkok .. you mean the one near Chitlom BTS ?
Old Mar 7, 18, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by timster View Post
Holiday Inn Bangkok .. you mean the one near Chitlom BTS ?
Yes. That particular one. As they are the first Holiday Inn in Bangkok, so they have the honour of just have Bangkok in its hotel name. The rest of the HI/HIEX are usually has the locator after its name, eg. HI Bangkok Sukhumvit 22.
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:22 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Grab and Uber for short distances around Bangkok are generally more expensive than local taxis in my experience

For Airport to hotel - yes, if you're travelling light and happy to do the Airport Link then its a good option. Instead of getting of at Rachaprarop, also consider going to the end of the line at Phaya Thai and then transferring to the BTS, get off at Chitlom, as the hotel is near Exit 1 - Chitlom BTS Station Map

Ratchaprarop station is not good for getting a taxi to Chitlom. Better to go to Phaya Thai if you want a taxi, far quicker. Or take the BTS from there.

For the return, the Airport Link will be busy at that time (around 5.30-545pm) but not too bad. Best to get on at Phaya Thai (start of the line).
Again if travelling light, the reverse journey is best, catch the BTS at Chitlom (train to Mo Chit) and get off at Phaya Thai, walk to the ARL station then take the airport link back to Suvanabhumi.

Leave by 5.15-5.30pm from hotel if using BTS/ARL to arrive in plenty of time

If arriving back to Bangkok by Airport Link - HINT!!
On arrival, get off the train, and head up to the concourse, as you walk up to the top of the ramp, turn left and walk all the way to the end of the basement level (past the escalators and travelators)
There is an elevator/lift there at the far end of the building. It will bring you up to Departures (Level 4) right next to Row F which is the Bangkok Airways check in Row.
If you're not departing by PG, advise which airline.

As for food - too many options, some other members may offer better info.
Old Mar 8, 18, 4:26 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
By the way, what day of the week?
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:56 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
I would get taxis both ways.
Old Mar 8, 18, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
Originally Posted by SQ319 View Post
I will be flying in from Ventiane for a 24hour stopover enroute back to Singapore. Arriving via Bangkok Air in the evening around 8pm and flying off the next evening at around the same time.

I am currently booked at Holiday Inn Bangkok. Are there any late night dining options around the area? Preferably Thai food and I'm perfectly okay with street food too. Ideally not too far from the area, as I want to maximise my time there and go shopping at Big C Centre thereafter.

Also any recommendations for local Thai food for breakfast? Preferably open before 10am.
You will arrive too late for mall food court options but for your next day, the nearest one will be to the left of the entrance of hotel at Central Chidlom. Big C also has a food court

As to late night food options, there are restaurants in the shopping mall attached to the Intercontinental (which itself is attached to the Holiday Inn - you don't have to go outside), or across the road at the Erawan mall. Or the mall next to it, Maneeya.

If you want street food, then I would walk towards Big C, cross the river and turn right on Petchburi. There's a bunch of late night restaurants there. The chicken rice is good. It's quite a walk though and you may find something closer around Big C instead. Or you could walk towards Siam Square using the elevated BTS pedestrian walk path.
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seavisionburma View Post
If arriving back to Bangkok by Airport Link - HINT!!
On arrival, get off the train, and head up to the concourse, as you walk up to the top of the ramp, turn left and walk all the way to the end of the basement level (past the escalators and travelators)
There is an elevator/lift there at the far end of the building. It will bring you up to Departures (Level 4) right next to Row F which is the Bangkok Airways check in Row.
If you're not departing by PG, advise which airline.
Thanks for the tip, however, I will be departing via SQ.

I am flying in on Wedesnday and departing Thursday, just before Good Friday weekend.
Old Mar 8, 18, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tide View Post
You will arrive too late for mall food court options but for your next day, the nearest one will be to the left of the entrance of hotel at Central Chidlom. Big C also has a food court
Would you know if the food courts at Central Chidlom and Big C open early?? I know Big C opens at 9am and Central Chidlom at 10am but not sure if these timings applyto the food court.
Old Mar 9, 18, 4:00 am

Thanks for the tip, however, I will be departing via SQ.

I am flying in on Wedesnday and departing Thursday, just before Good Friday weekend.
Just checked - SQ uses row K, so you can use either the first lift on the left as you come out of the ARL concourse or the far left one. That is of course if you use the ARL!
Old Mar 9, 18, 4:01 am

Would you know if the food courts at Central Chidlom and Big C open early?? I know Big C opens at 9am and Central Chidlom at 10am but not sure if these timings applyto the food court.
From experience the food court outlets don't tend to open at the same time as the rest of the mall, most of the stalls aren't up and running for another hour or so from 10.00 onwards

Search this Thread
Search Engine: