Reload this Page >

What else to see in Bangkok?

Old Mar 4, 18, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA DL HH

Hi All,

I'll be going back to Thailand right after Songkran. Have Bali trip scheduled in the middle of my visit.
We will have 5 free days to kill at the end of our trip. I'm running out of ideas on what to do during that time in Bangkok.
As I've been going there a lot, there is less and less things to see. The only thing that we have scheduled is the floating market, but that will kill only half a day.
Are there any hidden gems to see in Bangkok?

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:36 am

Not sure what you have already done but some ideas for day trips

* Ayutthaya
* Amphawa (can be done with an interesting though long journey there)
* Kanchanaburi long day out probably 3 hrs each way
Old Mar 4, 18, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Would you be interested in or have you taken a cooking class? Cooking with Poo is excellent. You are given a market tour (included in most other classes, too) and it is taught in the slum where she used to both live and cook. Her story is inspiring.
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:29 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
We will have 5 free days to kill at the end of our trip. I'm running out of ideas on what to do during that time in Bangkok.
As I've been going there a lot, there is less and less things to see. The only thing that we have scheduled is the floating market, but that will kill only half a day.
Are there any hidden gems to see in Bangkok?
You haven't listed what you've seen, so it's hard to discern what you haven't seen.

But at some point after many visits to Thailand you stop looking for touristy things to do, and just 'hang out'. Or just chill by the pool. As much as possible, I like to be in areas where I'm unlikely to run into tourists at all. I quite like seeking out new areas of Bangkok that I haven't been to, even if it's just a new shopping mall full of regular Thais going about their business. There's always new places to eat.

But if I was to suggest some somewhat touristy things that you might not have done ...
Drive to Hua Hin for a few days
Talad Rot Fai near Seacon Square
Asiatique
Take the regular river boat to Nontaburi and back.
Regular dinner cruise on the river (not one of the glitzy ones, unless you're into that). Last one I did was from Yok Yor restaurant.
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:50 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (18), EK S, NZ E, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
Take a trip up into the Khao Yai area, very scenic, waterfalls etc.
Old Mar 4, 18, 10:30 pm

Have you been to the Erawan Museum?
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Ayutthaya is well worth seeing and will keep you occupied for a day. I also once did a daytrip to Hua Hin via rail to check that place out (same way people did 60 years ago).

There's the revolving restaurant at the top of the Grand China hotel in the middle of Chinatown, like something frozen in time from the 60s. Also great views. In the same area on Saturday night is Klong Thom market, where sometimes you see the darndest things in the way of collectible odds and ends. Also not that many farangs (unlike sections of the weekend market).

The Nancy Chandler map has tons of obscure food recommendations, including Kor Phanich (best mango-sticky rice anywhere) and a few places with river overlooks near stops on the water taxi. Bangkok can really reward just wandering around and discovering stuff, especially in the older sections
Old Mar 5, 18, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
If I am understanding your post correctly, you are coming back to Thailand for 5 days, flying in from Bali.

Is there a reason you have to stay in Bangkok? Any interest in just flying onward to a new Thai destination? Beach resort down south? (Krabi, Phuket). Head up North to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? Get rural in Isan? (Udon Thani, Khon Kaen).

Seems 5 days would be a great duration to get exposure to some other areas of Thailand.
Old Mar 5, 18, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
.... including Kor Phanich (best mango-sticky rice anywhere) ...
I've indulged in this shop (TNN Tanao just north of Bamrung Muang) on many occasions solely because it's proximal to Chote Chitr which I used to frequent. The mango sticky rice is good. The best? It's just hype. The surrounding area however can be very rewarding to wander with the older two story shophouses, narrow lanes and being the oldest part of Bangkok.

Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
Bangkok can really reward just wandering around and discovering stuff, especially in the older sections
This. Especially as the old is being redone into new, slowly but surely.
Old Mar 5, 18, 6:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Bombay Plat, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
If I am understanding your post correctly, you are coming back to Thailand for 5 days, flying in from Bali.

Is there a reason you have to stay in Bangkok? Any interest in just flying onward to a new Thai destination? Beach resort down south? (Krabi, Phuket). Head up North to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai? Get rural in Isan? (Udon Thani, Khon Kaen).

Seems 5 days would be a great duration to get exposure to some other areas of Thailand.
Normally a good suggestion; however, given the timing of the trip (just after Songkran) Chiang Mai and most of Isaan will still be in the throes of burning season. Not recommended due to the large amounts of smoke in the atmosphere and the insufferable heat.

Heading south to the beach areas - Krabi, Hua Hin - is spot on for that time of the year. (I have a "I don't like getting ripped off" bias against Phuket.)
Old Mar 6, 18, 9:44 am

Programs: most of them
I agree that there are many day trip options. I'd add Lopburi to that list.

It's summer hot season so I don't know how much time you want to spend outdoors. There are some nice parks around the city though if you are interested in nature. Lumpini obviously but also up by Chatuchak market there's a couple of big parks and the small butterfly garden/insectarium which is free. Rama IX park is a ways out but huge and also quite nice. Lots of local folks hang out there on weekends.

Not knowing what you've already seen and what sort of things you like to do it is hard to make suggestions. Plenty of websites and guidebooks out there to help you find things. Just search on your favorite search engine.
Old Mar 6, 18, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Everybody. Thank you for your suggestions I didn't list things which I've seen in Bangkok because the list is pretty long. I would like to stay in or very close to Bangkok because I'll be exhausted from traveling (flights from US - 4 days in BKK, 4 days in Bali, 4 days in Singapore, 2 days in BKK).
What I did, I've called Singapore Airlines and added stopover to our itinerary in Singapore. I've been there once before but just for a day. This will take care of few days.
Now I have to plan only two days in Bangkok at the end of the trip. On one of these days, we will go to the airplane graveyard https://www.wheresidewalksend.com/ba...ane-graveyard/ Always wanted to go there but never had the chance.
I took suggestion from timster and we will hit Yok Yor cruise The menu looks good.
I was also looking at the Cooking with Poo suggestion by CJKatl but the menus doesn't look challenging. I was cooking all these dishes after my very first trip to Thailand
But this gave me idea and after some research, I see that there are tons of other cooking classes in Bangkok. We will probably go for one of the classes.
glennaa11 I've done a lot of searches for things to to in Bangkok, but always temples coming up. I've been to few of them and not to offend anyone, but to me if you seen one, you've seen them all.
Another place on my radar to visit in BKK is Bang Krachao Island (and the floating market there). Will spend at least half a day there.

Again, thank you All for your suggestions. You all gave me some ideas. I'm not saying that there is nothing to do in Bangkok, but would like to see something new each time

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 18, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
I was also looking at the Cooking with Poo suggestion by CJKatl but the menus doesn't look challenging. I was cooking all these dishes after my very first trip to Thailand
But this gave me idea and after some research, I see that there are tons of other cooking classes in Bangkok. We will probably go for one of the classes.
You are correct about her classes being very basic/beginner. Her story is inspiring and where the class is taught is a part of Bangkok most tourists never see. I've taken other Thai cooking classes which have been more advanced and have really never taken a bad class. I've taken dozens of classes internationally and the only really bad class was in Jerusalem. Other than that, each has been awesome in some way. Favorites: Peking Duck in China. It is a two day class with other dishes included. And when I complimented a Bangkok hotel lounge employe on a Crispy Ruby, the chef was nearby and invited me into the kitchen for private tutoring on Thai desserts the next day.

Enjoy!
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Thai desserts.
This is the oft neglected part of Thai foods.
Old Mar 20, 18, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
This is the oft neglected part of Thai foods.
Not a big fan of them My ideal desert after kaprow gai is to get kaprow pet crob or kamoo
That's why I'm eating salads all day in KSA in preparation for my SE Asia vacations

Search this Thread
Search Engine: