Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Information for a future move to thailand

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Question Information for a future move to thailand

Hello everyone, I am looking for information for a future move to Thailand, more precisely around Phuket, with my wife. We would like to move at the end of the year to enjoy our retirement, far from the Parisian mess. I would have liked to know if among you, some people had moved in thailand and by what system did you send your personal belongings such as furniture, paintings.
Thank you for your help.
Thomas.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:23 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk, thomassamsi!

While you may get some answers here, I would suggest that perhaps Thai Visa would be a better place to ask.
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/
Old Feb 15, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Welcome to FlyerTalk, thomassamsi!

While you may get some answers here, I would suggest that perhaps Thai Visa would be a better place to ask.
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/
OP, while Thai Visa is a good source of information be prepared to deal with a whole range of old and bitter expats who populate that site. The civility level is low there.

Here's a thread from there that discusses moving goods overseas to Thailand and the associated costs/hassles involved. Many seem to think you'd be better off selling your belongings and buying new in Thailand due to the costs of transport, duty/import tax involved, and the relatively inexpensive nature of Thai furnishings. It's not a perfect fit for your situation but will get you thinking:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...g-to-thailand/
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
OP, while Thai Visa is a good source of information be prepared to deal with a whole range of old and bitter expats who populate that site. The civility level is low there.
This is very much the truth.

Of all the people I know that live or have lived in SE Asia, none of them paid to have their stuff moved. They were either military or their job paid the relocation expenses. In regards to furniture, please keep the climate (humidity) in mind.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most of the people I know who've re-located have used freight-forwarders based in their home countries who have some experience with Thailand, and perhaps a local presence/agent. All these folks have moved from the U.S. The most recent one still involved a lot of local heavy-lifting, including a visit to the port at Khlong Toei for "extra lubrication" of the "paperwork".

I might ask around in some French travel/ex-pat forums and certainly do a search at thaivisa.

example: http://nesia-shipping.com/freight-forwarder-thailand/

Ages ago, if retiring to Thailand you were afforded a one-time Customs exemption on personal belongings, but I think that's been eliminated.

The French embassy in Bangkok may also have some information/resources?

Last edited by transpac; Feb 17, 2018 at 8:32 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by thomassamsi
Hello everyone, I am looking for information for a future move to Thailand, more precisely around Phuket, with my wife. We would like to move at the end of the year to enjoy our retirement, far from the Parisian mess. I would have liked to know if among you, some people had moved in thailand and by what system did you send your personal belongings such as furniture, paintings.
Thank you for your help.
Thomas.
Not sure if you are checking back, as you haven't posted any replies.
If you have not spent extended period of time in Thailand, I would really urge you to do a trial run before you arrange a permanent relocation. A permanent change of residence is really quite different than a holiday, even if it was a couple months long.
If it is at all feasible to "live" in Thailand for 6 months, or even better, a full year, before you commit to a full move, you may find it enlightening.
glennaa11 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.