Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April: Houston to Thailand with points

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

April: Houston to Thailand with points

Decided to go to Thailand for ~10 days after our wedding.

Also, is 3 months too short notice? Some things came up and was going to see if we (the Mrs. and I) could swing a trip to Thailand. We would be coming from Houston and into Thailand.

In total we have about 164000 AMEX MR points and about 480000 Chase UR points. Best way to look or plan? Business/First class would be ideal.

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by le14
Decided to go to Thailand for ~10 days after our wedding.

Also, is 3 months too short notice? Some things came up and was going to see if we (the Mrs. and I) could swing a trip to Thailand. We would be coming from Houston and into Thailand.

In total we have about 164000 AMEX MR points and about 480000 Chase UR points. Best way to look or plan? Business/First class would be ideal.

Thanks!
From an availability perspective, Korean Air (Chase UR partner) normally has premium class award seats available, even relatively close-in. Your route would be IAH-ATL-ICN-BKK as they've suspended their IAH-ICN route indefinitely. You can also check United (convenient for IAH) or Singapore Airlines but I suspect you'll pay more in UR points on those two than you would on Korean Air.

For AMEX UR, it's probably ANA though I don't think you have enough points to get two round trip tix in J class to BKK. Other options would be Singapore Airlines or perhaps Air Canada (bringing UA into the equation) but I don't think your AMEX MR balance is going to get you two J class tix.

Check using the site below where you can set filters for whichever points programs you want to check. Make sure to set it for "show off peak award" also.

AwardHacker

Edit: You probably could book one ticket with MRs and another with URs, depending upon the airline involved.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:25 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 7:19 am

3 months is not too short notice.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Three months? Easy peasy.

One trick I can tell you about is Thai Air releasing Biz class seats within last week, though that would involve (IIRC) $75 close in booking fee via Mileage Plus (UA).

I've looked at DFW recently, but will guess this will apply for IAH as well, and there are quite a few Biz seats available via Europe, mostly LH connecting to TG. Also some UA connecting to TG, with quite a few A380 flights from Europe.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
480,000 UR points will be enough for 2 J class tickets (round trip) when booked with United, and there should be availability. Start checking now.
You may need to adjust departures by a day or two, depending on availability. If you find something acceptable, book it. I would not count on last-minute (1 week out) availability for something like a honeymoon trip.

Congrats, and good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Of course, April is the worst possible month to go to Thailand.

The weather is at its peak of heat and humidity, and g-d help you if you wind up there during any part of Songkran (do a web search on that one).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by tai4de2

The weather is at its peak of heat and humidity, and g-d help you if you wind up there during any part of Songkran (do a web search on that one).
YMMV. I am going back this April, which is a great time to visit IMHO. I have come to enjoy "Low" season much more than Dec/Jan, and Songkran can be great fun.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I've been going to Thailand in April every year for the past 3 years. However, I always arrive day or two after Songkran. The prices are half what you would normally pay. I get pool villas for $75 a night! Normal price $300.
As for the heat. When there is never hot in Thailand? It's always hot there (not talking about the Chiang Mai).
Enjoy your visit.Just maybe avoid the Songkran (April 13th)
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bwiadca
As for the heat. When there is never hot in Thailand?
December is pretty amazing.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:43 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Yup, third week this December was great. Locals, including some expats were shivering, I and many visitors were loving it

Fourth week was a little warmer, but still OK. But I've been to Thailand in April and lived to tell about it.

Also spent a week in Cambodia last week in January about three years ago, and for a few days I was actually wearing long pants before the weather warmed up and I had to switch to my usual shorts.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by tai4de2

I think May is technically hotter than April, usually, but no one I know who lives over there has much good to say about Songkhran. They either plan trips to other countries or become shut-ins during that time (also note that it tends to last longest in places with the most farangs).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Yeah, didn't get above 90 the time I was in Bangkok or Ko Phangnan. 80's is not terrible weather in that part of the world. Hardly rained either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.