Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Hotel for 12 hrs between flights at BKK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Next month we're arriving at BKK Suvarnabhumi just past midnight (coming from SFO via TPE), then leaving 13hrs later to go BKK-REP. I'm looking for a clean place for the family to get some sleep.

The Novotel is obviously very close by. My wife likes big breakfast buffets, so this is definitely an option for us. However, it seems we'll have to get on a shuttle or cab to get to the Novotel (rather than just walk), at which point I wonder if we might as well take a shuttle or cab another 10 to 20 minutes to a place that's better or cheaper or both. Suggestions?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by 49er
Next month we're arriving at BKK Suvarnabhumi just past midnight (coming from SFO via TPE), then leaving 13hrs later to go BKK-REP. I'm looking for a clean place for the family to get some sleep.

The Novotel is obviously very close by. My wife likes big breakfast buffets, so this is definitely an option for us. However, it seems we'll have to get on a shuttle or cab to get to the Novotel (rather than just walk), at which point I wonder if we might as well take a shuttle or cab another 10 to 20 minutes to a place that's better or cheaper or both. Suggestions?
The Novotel is of course your most expensive option. You can walk to the Novotel, using the underground passageway, if you don't want to take the shuttle. Really no need to pay for a taxi.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
The Novotel is of course your most expensive option. You can walk to the Novotel, using the underground passageway, if you don't want to take the shuttle. Really no need to pay for a taxi.
The Novotel is USD 200 net for the night we would be staying. That seems a bit steep. There are lots of highly-rated small hotels for about $70/night for a quad room in Lat Krabang, which is a 10-15 minute taxi ride from the airport, but none of these have the large buffet breakfast my wife likes. That said, I don't like paying $130 more for breakfast :-) So if there's a great hotel with a fancy buffet breakfast we can take a taxi to in 10 to 20 minutes from BKK, and it's < $150 then I'd consider it.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Novotel is nice but an awful waste of money to pay USD 200/nt when there solid and much cheaper alternatives available in the vincinity of the airport. I have stayed at Thong Ta Resort before. 10 min drive from the airport. Rates on Agoda was around 25 USD/nt (usually shuttle is included) but I have not checked current rates. It was perfect for 9-10 hours of rest/sleep. A big buffet style breakfast you need to look elsewhere for. If really needed you could consider dropping by the Novotel on the way to airport - I'm sure you will be able to pay for breakfast without staying at the hotel. It will not be cheap though - at least 500 THB/pers. I would guess.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 25, 2018 at 3:53 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
With 12 hour layover, and arriving late night with little traffic, I would be tempted to get a good place in the city. Will be less expensive and you can still grab your breakfast buffet.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

With 12 hour layover, and arriving late night with little traffic, I would be tempted to get a good place in the city. Will be less expensive and you can still grab your breakfast buffet.
Gotta disagree, just stay near BKK and take a hotel shuttle. Did this last time I had a 7 a.m. departure, though the cheap hotel I chose was a bit of a dive, but clean. ZERO English channels on TV, but WiFi is all I needed for one night Should have used Tripadvisor, but I just literally wanted a cheap clean bed, and I got that.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
You could look at the Le Meridien.

?????????? | ???????????

or still relatively close search around Bang Na. This will give lower cost options but not near downtown. Such as the Dusit Princess

https://www.dusit.com/dusitprincess/srinakarinbangkok/

All depends what your aspirations are and your budget
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Gotta disagree, just stay near BKK and take a hotel shuttle. Did this last time I had a 7 a.m. departure, though the cheap hotel I chose was a bit of a dive, but clean. ZERO English channels on TV, but WiFi is all I needed for one night Should have used Tripadvisor, but I just literally wanted a cheap clean bed, and I got that.
Fair point.

But not sure that a cheap dive meets OP's wishes with a superior breakfast buffet. With a Midnight arrival and a 12 hour layover, I wouldn't want to be stuck out at the airport.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a Starwood golf resort close-ish to the airport or you can just take a taxi to Bangkok and pick a hotel there with something interesting to do nearby for either that night or the next morning. To me, $200 sounds like a lot for a Novotel at BKK, so I think you can do better.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

But not sure that a cheap dive meets OP's wishes with a superior breakfast buffet. With a Midnight arrival and a 12 hour layover, I wouldn't want to be stuck out at the airport.
Wasn't suggesting OP stay at a dive like I did when I chose on price alone. Food at the attached restaurant was quite good though ^

Hence my suggestion to look at Tripadvisor @:-)
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://amaranthhotel.com/

https://www.dusit.com/dusitprincess/srinakarinbangkok/
Old Jan 26, 2018, 6:47 pm

We (4 adults) are booked for the night at Sinsuvarn Airport Suite. Nothing fancy. Two rooms for $70 cad total. We get in to BKK at 2310 on an international flight. Domestic outbound flight at 1355. Free shuttle to/from BKK. Didn't bother getting breakfast option. I read that there are street foods by the hotel so will pig out there during the mid morning.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: most of them
I think OPs idea of staying near the airport is most sensible. Since they just want a place to sleep why bother with the cost of a taxi both ways to the city?

Just search on Agoda for hotels near the airport. I see this one called Amaranth that is a BW Premier collection hotel. For about US$100 you can get a club room that includes breakfast. Free shuttle. Not sure exactly if it's a big buffet for breakfast but honestly, it's one morning.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Agree to above suggestions for staying nearby BKK rather than the trek all the way to downtown Bangkok in the middle of the night (not too bad) and then having to travel all the way back the next day (traffic - can be bad)
Spend an hour on Agoda with the search options set for hotels near the airport.
Use the price range filter to get rid of anything to cheap, then look through the available options for ones that offer a shuttle in the description, and make sure the map shows it somewhere nearby. Check against the reviews, will help if anyone has used the shuttle services before.
Narrow it down to a couple of choices, contact the hotel to ask how the shuttle works, then take a punt.

If you were getting in before midnight, I'd recommend Nasa Vegas on the Airport Rail Link line, 4 stations from the airport, 15 minutes.
Its not a high end hotel, but if you choose a better room rather than the basic its an easy option to get to and from the airport (the hotel is linked by direct walkway to the Airport Link station at Ramkamhaeng.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input and advice. I found a highly rated small hotel called At Residence, about 10-15 minutes drive (seems like it should be less) from BKK. It’s around $80 for a quad room. No breakfast buffet but it just seems not worth going farther to places like Amaranth just for that. If the Novotel at BKK comes down in price or BA Avios then I might book it.
seavisionburma likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.