Search

Zika risk BKK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Zika risk BKK?

I am having trouble locating reputable reports about current Zika risk if simply transiting airports. In this case six hours stop in BKK before next flight. Any information appreciated!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
If you are worrying about this, you should not be travelling.
In my view, better chance of being hit by lightning.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
If you are worrying about this, you should not be travelling.
In my view, better chance of being hit by lightning.
This is such a stupid response. Its a legitimate question for pregnant women or those trying to conceive. The medical implications on a developing brain are very well documented. Its one thing to make blanket statements and act hysterically but its another to be well-informed. In fact, trying to gain understanding about health issues using reputable reporting or any number of other problems is a very smart thing to do, its part of being a mature and thoughtful decision maker.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Wear some bug spray for six hours. Problem solved.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
In my extensive experience with BKK I can't recall ever having gotten a mosquito bite at the airport. You're transiting with no plans to go through immigration, correct? In lounges, gates, etc. I think you are extremely unlikely to be bitten.

There are some areas at the airport that might be a little more prone to mosquitoes, such as the Thai-style food court on the basement level, but it seems like you will be far away from those.

Of course there's no guarantees. If it were me and I had any concern I'd probably put some repellent on anyway just to be safe.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While there have been cases reported in Thailand, the odds of getting a mosquito bite carrying Zika in the international transit area seems about as close to zero as one can get.

Google Zika and Thailand to get a feel for the situation.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Powerball odds.
jphripjah likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never seen a mosquito in the departure/transit area of BKK airport, probably because locals are obsessive about spraying for insects and the land around the airport aren't really mosquito-breeding bounds.

The risk level would be similar to that of flying out of Boston Logan Airport because planes from Florida land in the terminals there.

FWIW, I'm generally not a fan of repellent spray so I usually just use vaseline to cover exposed skin. Safe/stable/cost effective without risking the chemicals.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by Plato90s
......... the land around the airport aren't really mosquito-breeding bounds........
Suvarnabhumi airport (BKK) was constructed on 8,000 acers of swamp land, originally known as Cobra Swamp. It also need to be remembered that due to very heavy precipitation during the monsoon season the airport has a large number of run-off channels/drains designed to displace large quantities of water away from the runways and taxiways and these are often still very wet during the dry season. As a result you shouldn’t be surprised to find mosquitoes around the outside of the airport buildings. That said, I am sure that the airport authorities spray/fumigate the channels/drains on a regular basis in order to keep the mosquitoes population down.

The temperature inside the terminal building is kept at fairly constant 25c throughout the year by air conditioning and nearly all parts of the building are well illuminated both day and night. These factors combined are not conducive to a mosquito friendly environment. Hence the comments that previous posters have made about not seeing mosquitoes inside the terminal building.

OP…. Regarding any instances of the Zika virus within Thailand, the best source of such information would be obtained from the Ministry of Public Health. You may also wish to have a look at https://www.thethailandlife.com/zika-virus-thailand which although not directly related to BKK itself still does make worrying reading.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:55 pm

Sure, pre-construction that was a swamp-area.

Now... the land for mile+ around the passenger terminal is pretty much fully paved-over. That's why I noted that the land isn't really mosquito-breeding grounds.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Sure, pre-construction that was a swamp-area.

Now... the land for mile+ around the passenger terminal is pretty much fully paved-over. That's why I noted that the land isn't really mosquito-breeding grounds.
Please take a look at a fairly recent Google satellite map of BKK and you will see that most of the area inside airport perimeter is in fact grass land.

A close up look will show that there are large number of run-off drains leading to ponds in each corner of the airport perimeter. You will also see that there are canals just inside the perimeter fence joining each of the four large run-off ponds. To the north and the east of the airport the land is mainly paddy fields.

I suspect each of the underlined items mentioned above are prime breading areas for mosquitos.
Not sure if mosquitos need clearance from ATC to enter controlled air space

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@13.6913161,100.7608689,16109m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited by Oldtiger; Jan 8, 2018 at 4:47 am Reason: Typo correction
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
I suspect each of the underlined items mentioned above are prime breading areas for mosquitos. Not sure if mosquitos need clearance from ATC to enter controlled air space
Of all the airport hotels I've stayed in around swampy before early morning flights, I can't recall ever having seen a mosquito. Lots of those little lizards ... but no mozzies that I can recall.

Maybe Mr Prayut's National Council for Peace and Order outlawed them ?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:46 am

Please take a look at a fairly recent Google satellite map of BKK and you will see that most of the area inside airport perimeter is in fact grass land.

A close up look will show that there are large number of run-off drains leading to ponds in each corner of the airport perimeter. You will also see that there are canals just inside the perimeter fence joining each of the four large run-off ponds. To the north and the east of the airport the land is mainly paddy fields.

I suspect each of the underlined items mentioned above are prime breading areas for mosquitos.

Strips of grass land routinely disturbed by turbine-generated wind doesn't make for mosquito breeding grounds.....

And by the time you're outside the perimeter of the airport to the paddy fields... that's about a mile away from passenger terminal.

Washington DC used to be a swamp, and there are currently large patches of grass all over the city as well as drainage ditches, etc... Yet DC isn't infested with swamp-level mosquito population because grass/water isn't mosquito breeding grounds when they're routinely exposed/disturbed.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Is there a single documented case of a passenger contracting Zika virus inside the passenger terminal at BKK? No? That's the question.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA/AA
That is an absurd question actually. How could anyone possibly know when and where they received a bite from a mosquito that was the one which transmitted a virus? You will not have symptoms or know of an infection the moment a mosquito sucks your blood.

Last edited by Paiteaw; Jan 9, 2018 at 6:10 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.