Wiki Posts
Search

Where to exchange dollars for baht?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SunLover
The Super Rich location at BKK airport is in the basement on the way to the rail link. It is a kiosk, which occasionally runs out of baht to sell. It also has limited operating hours (10am to 8pm I believe) so not open for late night and early morning arrivals.

In any case: for the best reception the OP should have *pristine* $50 and $100 bills of the latest issue, as some currency changers can be picky when it comes to condition.
People really should state if they are referring to Super Rich green or orange because rates and office hours are likely to be different

As for the bolded, mine, I've been exchanging for many years and have never had a bill turned away. They need to be in good condition but Thailand is not Myanmar.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ft101
I suspect fees only (assuming you didn't fall for a DCC trap) as the exchange rate is normally set by Visa/Mastercard depending on the card you're using.
I actually learned on that trip that the exchange rate on the hotel ATM was different and was set by the company that had the machine in the lobby. It was not a bank, rather, it was some third party that was giving a cut to the hotel. They took both a high fee and used a lower exchange rate. If it makes any difference, the hotel was the Prague Marriott and the bank was in a small mall next door. It was twelve years ago and it still irks me today.

Now I only use bank ATMs. At the Bangkok Marriott, that means walking out of the hotel, turning left on Sukhumvit and walking a half block.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: most of them
I always plug the TD Bank ATM card that I use when this subject comes up. They rebate the fees charged by foreign ATMs if you have the Premier checking account. I maintain this account solely for using when I travel. I see from my statement that the 220 baht fee was rebated.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:51 pm

I've used Charles Schwab for a few Thai trips, works perfectly.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:29 pm
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by dsquared37
People really should state if they are referring to Super Rich green or orange because rates and office hours are likely to be different

<snip>
I've always used Super Rich Orange having not previously been aware of Green.

I've found the booth at MBK Level 2 to be quite good as is the BTS Nana Station booth.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:02 pm

I've had ongoing projects for the last few years and Thailand is the only country in the world I bring aussie dollars and exchange that into local currency (using super rich orange, like HVR I don't know what superrich green is but there was an orange within a few hundred metres of our hotel and pretty much everywhere we went). Since we had a lot of people there we were able to check rates over a number of credit cards and we were consistently getting better rates from super rich and that was without even taking into account the 200baht fee. I still use my credit card for hotels but for everything else I use cash which I exchange locally.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Hvr
I've always used Super Rich Orange having not previously been aware of Green.

I've found the booth at MBK Level 2 to be quite good as is the BTS Nana Station booth.

There's one at Nana BTS? I know there's one at Asoke BTS.

Schwab, Fidelity, TD Bank, and countless others rebate all ATM fees, so I never worry about bringing/carrying lots of cash. Though my wife will sometimes need to convert some US$ to THB, and she tends to use the superrich at Asoke BTS.

Are there any financial institutions that offer fee rebates for other non-US residents? (UK, EU, Australia?)

For the casual end user/tourist, there's probably not that much difference between the two versions of super rich. If you want to eek out every last cent or satang, then sure, but take into account travel time, expense, etc. @dsquared37, @transpac .. can you tell us what the usual US$ to THB difference is from your local observations? Are there greater differences for other currencies to THB?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:58 pm

In Aus there are a few cards who do fee free but none that give rebates for fees that get applied by the atm on the other end that I'm aware of.

In terms of rates when getting baht we'd get 0.5-0.7 more baht per AUD (at the time rates around the 25 baht to every 1 AUD). Extrapolate that to USD and you'd be getting about an extra baht per USD however that assumes that the institutional spread is the same for AUD:THB as it is for USD:THB and that might be a very very big assumption.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.superrich1965.com/index.php
https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en
http://www.grandsuperrich.com/
http://www.vasuexchange.com/

All seem to be 32.72 today.

32.60 at satellite offices, so depending on your location, may not be worth it unless exchanging $1,000? For larger volumes most savvy Thais repatriating cash head up to Pradiphat where the best rates are found, along with extremely large branches of all the Thai banks.

Banks look to be 32.35-32.40 today (AM).

I don't sell USD for THB, sometimes I sell EUR for THB, but more often buy foreign currencies with THB for trips.

There is a Superrich 1965 in the Nana BTS.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
For the casual end user/tourist, there's probably not that much difference between the two versions of super rich. If you want to eek out every last cent or satang, then sure, but take into account travel time, expense, etc.

-David
Indeed. The difference between main and satellite branches is often in the 0.05-0.1 range (Baht per USD $100/$50). Unless staying in the Ratchaprasong area (northeast of Big C are the main branches) or needing to exchange larger amounts the airport is generally fine. However knowing the difference in rates (there is a SR Green app, not sure about Orange) between locations allows an informed plan to be undertaken.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by transpac
http://www.superrich1965.com/index.php
https://www.superrichthailand.com/#!/en
http://www.grandsuperrich.com/
http://www.vasuexchange.com/

All seem to be 32.72 today.

32.60 at satellite offices, so depending on your location, may not be worth it unless exchanging $1,000? For larger volumes most savvy Thais repatriating cash head up to Pradiphat where the best rates are found, along with extremely large branches of all the Thai banks.

Banks look to be 32.35-32.40 today (AM).

I don't sell USD for THB, sometimes I sell EUR for THB, but more often buy foreign currencies with THB for trips.

There is a Superrich 1965 in the Nana BTS.
Here is another to add to the list in the Silom area

https://www.x-one.co.th/#/

very completive rates and less crowded than the green superich
I often find myself buying other foreign currencies with THB
Old Nov 22, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Are there any financial institutions that offer fee rebates for other non-US residents? (UK, EU, Australia?)
UK sounds similar to Aus.

Accounts with no foreign currency loading or fee are readily available, but not ones for refunding ATM fees. There may be some "premium" accounts that do, but they'll have fat fees of their own which could easily outweigh ATM usage fees.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Last edited by bwiadca; Nov 24, 2017 at 3:53 am Reason: For some reason double post
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I always exchange cash at the airport on arrival. I don't remember the names but both pink and green booths have exactly the same price at BKK.
On average I exchange $300 at the time. The rates are good enough. I never used ATM card in Thailand. They have minimum fee of 220BHT per transaction.
For transactions in restaurants I use credit card with no FTF and in smaller shops/taxis etc I use cash.
I've never seen exchange booths in the city, well I've never looked for one as I always exchange cash at the airport. I don't have time to look for one. I'm not going to Bangkok to search exchange booths in the city. I'm there to relax. You will save probably $5 and waste 1 hour walking around looking for the place. Tranquillo Amigos

I've noticed that the best exchange rates are are DMK airport. Sometimes they are even 1BHT higher than BKK exchange booths on the same day.
When I go to Thailand I usually spend there between 7 and 9 days at the time. With $500 changed to Bahts and my credit cards I have more than enough. Many times I have 3000BHT+ in my pocket - leftover money when I'm boarding the flight on the way back home. When I exchange $500 during the trip I probably loose about $10 on the entire exchange.
If you worry about $10 out of $500 while on vacations, you probably shouldn't be going abroad.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bwiadca
I've noticed that the best exchange rates are are DMK airport. Sometimes they are even 1BHT higher than BKK exchange booths on the same day.
This is a laughable assertion; if true the exchange booths would be losing money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.