Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover at Bangkok.. What are the options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Long layover at Bangkok.. What are the options

Hi friends,

I have a booked a flight from Melbourne to Delhi via Bangkok. The layover time is 10 hr 25 minutes. I have two questions
1. Is it possible to change the flight from Bangkok to Delhi to an option where layover time is less.
2. If not, what can i do at Suvarnabhumi airport fro 10 hours. The layover is from 8 35 pm to 7 am. Doesnot seem like a good idea to venture into the city.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by ssood143
Hi friends,

I have a booked a flight from Melbourne to Delhi via Bangkok. The layover time is 10 hr 25 minutes. I have two questions
1. Is it possible to change the flight from Bangkok to Delhi to an option where layover time is less.
2. If not, what can i do at Suvarnabhumi airport fro 10 hours. The layover is from 8 35 pm to 7 am. Doesnot seem like a good idea to venture into the city.
Stay at a hotel near the airport. Lots of decent options. Even going into town only takes an hour unless it's rush hour.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:35 am
Original Poster

not sure going to city will be an optiion as it is night time
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Then sleep at a local hotel. There are many and they are cheap. I wouldn't spend that time in the airport if I didn't have to.

Changing your flight may be possible but probably not without a significant fee.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hi friends,

1. Yes, there are lots of ways to from MEL to DEL without 10 hours in BKK. You could fly nonstop on Air India, via SIN on SQ, or with a shorter connection on Thai via BKK. I'm sure there's a way to ticket on Qantas as well, although I'm not sure what the routing would be or who would operate the 2nd flight. (My personal preference of these options would be SQ via SIN. I usually prize nonstops but nobody in their right mind wants to spend 12 hours on AI.)

2. Hell, I'd probably go into the city, but that's just me. If you wish to sleep during the layover, then there are lots of local hotel options near BKK. But if you're just going to sleep, why not pick a set of flights that has a 2 hour connection instead? Even if you have to stay on Thai, there are options...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Em, you're in Bangkok...the city never sleeps. But there are plenty of airport hotels as well.
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Sure, did you buy a ticket that allows changes?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
That's the perfect amount of time for a well deserved layover at one of the hotels in the neighborhood of the airport and a nice Thai dinner/ breakfast.

Unless you're in a desperate hurry I'd definitely do that instead of doing it all in a single flight, though I'd also be very tempted to go into Bangkok for a few drinks and a nap at one of the central BKK hotels before going back.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I had an early outbound flight from BKK, so I stayed at one of the local hotels.
It had two local street markets right next door, and free shuttle service to and from the airport ( I think starting at 5 am).

Basic room, but had key card, TV, AC, minibar with beer / soda / chips, couple of bottles of water, swimming pool, and they do wake up calls.

BS Residence (Don't ask me where they got the name), through booking.com

Note: Use the shuttle or a metered cab or Uber. Don't try to walk there. I did, from the nearest Airport Rail Link station (I came from downtown Bangkok). It was an adventure. In hind sight, I should have gone all the way to the airport and requested the shuttle from there.

It cost me 520 THB ( 15.56 USD). They may be cash only. There are ATMs nearby, but for that small an amount, the 220 THB ATM fee is prohibitive. You could change 30ish USD / 40ish AUD for 1000 THB at the airport and have more than enough for dinner.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Hi friends,

Welcome to Flyertalk, ssood143
I am moving your query to the Thailand Forum. Best to follow the arrow which will redirect you to Thailand
See: Destinations
Asia
Thailand
Obscure2K
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The exact day/date can be important to understand.

What country's passport do you carry? This is important as it may impact entry requirements.

What sorts of things do you like to do when you travel?

Will your bags be checked through? Will you have larger cabin baggage? Are you on one single ticket? Or two separate tickets?

Assuming no entry issues, getting a local (to the airport) room to refresh, sleep seems like a decent option. For some of the hotel options near the airport, particularly in the Lat Krabang area, there will be night options for food, drink.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

I am on single ticket with Indian passport.
The best option which I can think of is to switch to a Thai airways BKK-DEL flight which departs just 2 hours 50 minutes after my MEL-BKK flight lands in BKK. But as I am on a single ticket from MEL-DEL, is it possible to do so. If yes, where & when can i request airline to bump me to other flight
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

with Indian passport

Unless you have a valid visa you would have to go through the Visa on Arrival process, which may lengthen the time necessary to clear arriving Immigration.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/e...isa-on-arrival

This may then trigger other issues, like the airport service fee collection, which may not have been built into your ticket?

I'm guessing your bags would be checked through, but you'd obviously have to verify that in MEL upon departure.

Not sure about changing your BKK-DEL segment, that's down to the ticket-issuing airline I suppose, and may involve a change fee? Or re-issuance fee/fare recalculation?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

So i am going to fly next week. I had booked my ticket through an agent and whenever I ask them for a date change they say no seat available. Now what i plan is do an online checkin and reach Melbourne Airport and ask the gate agent if they can shift me to a different flight in BKK-DEL sector .. which is earlier than i the one i have already booked.
But I have a few questions
1. Does the gate agent have the authority to do so?
2. As i would have already done web check in , can they still change it,
3. Should i do this at Melbourne airport or should i do this as BKK airport.
P.S. I dont mind spending extra 100 dollars if required
Old Nov 23, 2017, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

$100? Think of anything between $200-$300 for a change on the ticket and few hundreds $ for a fare difference.
I don't know about the Australian ticket agents, but the only flexible airport people that I've been dealing with and can change your ticket are in US.
The worst ones are airlines in Europe, especially Lufthansa. I've checked in at 5am for my 10am flight to MUC and asked if I can catch 7am or 8am flight. She said NO, because my ticket is non-refundable.
I would try my luck with the check in agent at the airport in Melbourne. If you can't get earlier flight, just book some hotel near BKK and enjoy some spicy food
You can get nice hotel outside of BKK for about $50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.