Search

Late Night Layover at BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileageplus Plat, Hyatt Diamond. Marriott, Gold
Late Night Layover at BKK

Greetings-

I'm a novice at international travel and am about to embark on my first trip to Asia (final destination: Bali).

My girlfriend and I will be transferring/laying over at BKK come from PEK on a China Air flight. We fly from BKK to DPS on Thai Airways (all of the tickets were issues from United-I had some points to burn).

We have plenty of time (about 10 hours) but we land at 23:30- does anyone know if there will be anything open at the BKK at this hour?

Are CA and TA in the same terminal?

Will be able to get access to the lounge (we're flying business class)?

Any other tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
There is a transit hotel if you want to get some sleep

http://www.miracletransithotel.com/

Thai lounges close at 2am

There are flights throughout the night so most stuff is open

There's only one terminal
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileageplus Plat, Hyatt Diamond. Marriott, Gold
Excellent suggestions!
Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
There's a ton of cheap and decent hotels near the airport for $30-40 USD (which will include shuttle service). I would strongly consider grabbing one as opposed to hanging around the airport, given that the lounges will close during your stopover, if you have visa-free entry into Thailand. That transit hotel is 2-3x what a nearby airport hotel will cost.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
There's a ton of cheap and decent hotels near the airport for $30-40 USD (which will include shuttle service). I would strongly consider grabbing one as opposed to hanging around the airport, given that the lounges will close during your stopover, if you have visa-free entry into Thailand. That transit hotel is 2-3x what a nearby airport hotel will cost.
Different wording, but basically what I would have posted.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
+2 ^ This place is 5 minutes drive from the airport, inexpensive, clean, and offers a hotel shuttle:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...i-Bangkok.html
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the visa issue would really dictate options. But even if one/both hold a Chinese passport you can go through the Visa on Arrival process . Assuming you can get in to Thailand without an advance visa, then a nearby hotel would probably be a good option. Just remember to factor in wait-times for arriving Immigration (VIP/Fastlane), baggage, transport to/from the hotel, check-in, departing security/Immigration. If traveling in Business class some/all of these wait-times may be significantly reduced.

I noticed some very comfortable looking sleeper chairs on level 3 in the E wing.

There is really just one single terminal, for domestic and international operations, with gates/wings dedicated for both.

You will have access to the TG lounges on departure.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Priority Pass lounges are open all night, they are branded as Miracle Lounges these days, however......

....sums up everything you need to know. ^
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
(I will assume you want to spend all the time at airport secure area although I would seriously consider, as others have suggested, a cheap airport hotel)

Arrive 11:30pm. Transit.

BR lounge (F gate) closes at 3:30am. Has showers.

If you can access, Miracle Lounges (Priority Pass) open 24 hours. If not, spend this time browsing or shopping. Lots of shops open. Restaurants open as well. Take pictures at the 3-headed dragon statue right outside immigration (departures) etc

TG Royal Silk (E gate) lounge re-opens at 4:30am. Has showers.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:31 am

I'll add to the chorus and suggest a nearby hotel. Even good hotels in Thailand are relatively cheap.
23.30 will be quite a quiet time at the airport, so I doubt that the queues at immigration will be that long. Also, your luggage can still be checked through even if you leave the airport.
If you're undecided, is $30 really worth an exhausted start to your holiday? You can arrive feeling refreshed rather than tired after spending a night on an airport bench.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by tide
(I will assume you want to spend all the time at airport secure area although I would seriously consider, as others have suggested, a cheap airport hotel)

Arrive 11:30pm. Transit.

BR lounge (F gate) closes at 3:30am. Has showers.

If you can access, Miracle Lounges (Priority Pass) open 24 hours. If not, spend this time browsing or shopping. Lots of shops open. Restaurants open as well. Take pictures at the 3-headed dragon statue right outside immigration (departures) etc

TG Royal Silk (E gate) lounge re-opens at 4:30am. Has showers.
With *G status this is sound airside advice. I would add that TG lounges in C and E have slumber rooms.

For those who do not have lounge access and want to keep it cheap this is a useful website: http://www.sleepinginairports.net/asia/bangkok.htm

SL
Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
There is now a "hotel" of sorts in the basement landside at BKK - called "Boxtel".
http://www.boxtelthailand.com/

Also book-able from sites like booking.com.

Actually it's just tiny rooms with a bed. And at around 1250THB single rooms (1 person per room only) for 4 hours it's pricey (but cheaper than the airside hotel). And no showers. Toilets are the airport toilets. But if you're landside, desperate for a bed for 4 hours, and don't know what you can get for that money 10 minutes away, it might be worth considering if you don't want to leave the airport.

If you do happen to stay there, eat at the (somewhat hidden) foot court on ground level. It's where staff and savvy farang eat. Decent and cheap Thai food. Can get busy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.