Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Bars

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: TG Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
Actually, a pint is 473ml.
If you're talking about an American Pint, then yes. But Fullers will always refer to UK Pint.
Get a dry Pint or 500ml Pint on top of it to confuse everyone.

""The imperial pint (≈ 568 ml) is used in the United Kingdom and Ireland and to a limited extent in Commonwealth nations. In the United States, two pints are used: a liquid pint (≈ 473 ml) and a less-common dry pint (≈ 551 ml). Each of these pints is one-eighth of its respective gallon, but the gallons differ and the imperial pint is about 20% larger than the US liquid pint.""

That's what's done in BKK. So you know you should get something between 473ml and 568ml.
That's why I love the metric system.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:16 pm

I never realised there was an American pint.

In general I'm all for metric, but that extra 68ml in precious.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I was at the Brewski Sky Bar last night and the "pints" there are 470 ml (so I stand corrected.)

About 10-12 different beers on tap and over 100 different varieties of beer when counting bottles too. The 200 thb special was Maha Nakorn, a Thai craft beer of the wheat beer variety. (Pretty good, actually.) Most of the other "pints" were in the 260-300 thb range.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Craft beer, on the whole, is quite expensive in Thailand (thanks to the protectionist tariff schemes to shield Chang, Leo, and Singha from competition.)
Leo and Singha are both products of Boon Rawd Brewery.

The protectionist garbage is solely a nod to the two families who control Boon Raed and Thai-Bev (Chang).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37

The protectionist garbage is solely a nod to the two families who control Boon Raed and Thai-Bev (Chang).
Spot on. I listed it by brand for the TV members who read the forum but don't live here and may not be as familiar with the parent companies.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:04 am

Craft beer, on the whole, is quite expensive...
Ahhhh, so the "special" beer is craft beer. Well that changes everything.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spot on. I listed it by brand for the TV members who read the forum but don't live here and may not be as familiar with the parent companies.
^
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite

Not to mention that domestic law requires breweries to make at least 10 million liters per year.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TPACjv
Not to mention that domestic law requires breweries to make at least 10 million liters per year.
Now that I was not aware of. Nor surprised to head of it's existence.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:04 pm

Now that I was not aware of. Nor surprised to head of it's existence.
Yes, that law that limits permissible brewers to those that manufacture at least 10 million liters per year is what keeps the Thai craft brewing scene from developing. Some are finding ways around it, though. The Thai brewers of Chiang Mai Wheat (very tasty) moved operations to Cambodia and "export" their beer from Cambodia back into Thailand.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: most of them
TimeOut has a list of skybars
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:57 pm

It's not super high up (maybe 15th floor?), but the Four Points has a rooftop pool/bar/restaurant that kids/teenagers would probably enjoy more than a fancy resto. Chill, casual, and if you download the Eatigo app, you can sometimes eat there for 50% off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.