Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for a newbie visiting Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by Plato90s
LA Thai restaurants are similar to Thai places in other major American cities - heavy on the sweet and light on the spicy. Unless you have a fireproof stomach, order only "a little" spicy when it comes to hot local food.

Don't AirBnB if you want a place with a pool, because there aren't many good options. Condo/apartment towers with pools aren't any cheaper than a 4-star hotel, and there wouldn't be food/drink service. AirBnB in Bangkok are best for people who are familiar with the area or traveling large party that require multiple rooms.

3 days is not sufficient for a good tailored suit given the need for alterations after the first cut.

Given you'd be traveling with your grandfather and his friend, careful about walking for significant amount of time/distance in the tropical heat. That's one reason not to get too hung up on being next to a mass transit stop because you might end up taking taxicab everywhere. Taxis are cheap enough that it wouldn't be a major expense.
Thank you!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tr71123
Appreciate the tip. Will definitely avoid this one.
Well, look, although I found the experience to be utterly miserable there's a reason why almost all tourists to Bangkok visit the palace. Just consider skipping it and consider other opinions and decide. Alternatively, go first thing in the morning the moment it opens and before the tour buses get there.

When I visited the palace two weeks ago, I didn't even set foot inside any buildings. The Temple of Emerald Buddha was closed and I'm not sure any other buildings are open. I suspect someone may come along in this thread and say they enjoyed it. In my opinion though, it's quite missable.

River boat probably easiest way to get there depending on where you are staying. Or if staying in Sukhumvit, take the BTS to Phaya Thai or the MRT to Hua Lamphong and then taxi from there.

When I wanted to got back to the MRT/BTS from the palace, taxi drivers parked outside were demanding 300 baht and would only drop their demand to 200. Tuk tuks were demanding 200 baht then 150. One tuk tuk driver said "OK, 100 baht but we shop at a shop on the way." You've probably see the warnings about that.

I walked a hundred meters or so away from the gaggle outside the palace and flagged down a taxi driver on the move, and he turned on the meter no problem and it was 60 baht to Hua Lamphong MRT in bad traffic.

But even if you get ripped off by a Bangkok taxi it will probably only be to the tune of $5 so don't worry much about it.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jphripjah

I walked a hundred meters or so away from the gaggle outside the palace and flagged down a taxi driver on the move, and he turned on the meter no problem and it was 60 baht to Hua Lamphong MRT in bad traffic.
^

Rule #1 about Bangkok transportation: Never use a stopped taxi/tuk tuk, always flag down a moving vehicle.

Rule #2 : Avoid tuk tuks unless you know what the price of the ride should be ahead of time.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The two posts above are both very, very accurate. Do not skip the palace, but be aware of the negatives before visiting. Not seeing the palace is like visiting Athens for the first time and not seeing the Parthenon or going to Altoona PA and not seeing the Horseshoe Curve. In probably three dozen visits, I've done the Palace three times: My first visit, with relatives on a later visit and recently when I just wanted something to do and thought I hadn't been there in awhile. The tours tend to be in waves, so you can avoid the large crowds by just hanging back a bit or walking in a different direction when it's crowded. Or, if you can't beat them, join them: I sometimes stand near a tour group for a few minutes to just listen to the guide describe something.

I'm a fan of cooking classes, with Cooking with Poo (her name) being my favorite. These usually include a market tour first.

From the northernmost stop on the tourist boat you can walk to Khoasan Rd. While it's a unique experience at night, around lunch time you can sit at one of the restaurants a block or so away, eat a great cheap lunch and people watch. Awesome.

And the tourist boat is good for newbies. Ride the entire route, then go back to what you want to see. If you take a boat after the first day, use one of the local boats. It's an experience. Information on the different boats can be found here.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:05 pm

Since we're all chiming in about the Royal Palace....

I didn't visit the palace until my 3rd trip to Thailand, and even then I just went because it was supposed to be a popular tourist attraction. I did enjoy it. It was hot and sweaty. It was not very crowded. That was 10 years ago. A couple years ago I was with some Thailand noobs, so I took them to the Royal Palace. I did not enjoy it as much. It was crowded with many tourists that were openly defying the rules.

Anyways, don't feel that you must visit the Royal Palace. But it is a popular tourist draw.

Also you didn't thank me for my tips
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: most of them
I think the Grand Palace is more crowded right now due to people still going to pay respects to Rama IX.

But I wouldn't skip it. It's one of the top sights in Bangkok for a reason. If you go by river boat instead of car it's not that difficult to get to/from. Catch the boat by the Saphan Taksin BTS station. The security lines take some time to get through, but I think it's worth doing. I love the Ramakien paintings in the Emerald Buddha temple area. It's so unlike any place you've been in the West.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Oh by the way, they do ask for ID at the security checkpoint for the palace. My U.S. driver's license was fine.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
I love the Ramakien paintings in the Emerald Buddha temple area. It's so unlike any place you've been in the West.
This is the one thing I miss by staying away from the Grand Palace.

When the cost was 300 I went sporadically and even got in for free one NYD when only Thais were supposed to enter, nobody told me nor stopped me. Once it got to 400 Baht I stopped going in. Then it was 500 baht... no idea what it costs now.

Total cash cow.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
In about 45 trips including stops in BKK I went to the palace on the first trip and the 25th (with a friend who was on his first trip). It's a bit like the 6th Floor for Dallas or Graceland for Memphis (or the Coliseum in Rome, or Eiffel Tower in Paris, etc.) in that you really have to go. It's very visually arresting and with a lot of Thai-ness, and it's no accident that images have appeared on a lot of travel posters from airlines for the destination throughout the ages.

It's unfortunate, though, that just about every predatory type who takes advantage of gullible tourists operates there, whether it's the taxi drivers who won't use meters or the tuk tuks and the gem shops ("You sell back home for big profit!") and all manner of other types of cons. It's a longstanding problem.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by RustyC
It's unfortunate, though, that just about every predatory type who takes advantage of gullible tourists operates there, whether it's the taxi drivers who won't use meters or the tuk tuks and the gem shops ("You sell back home for big profit!") and all manner of other types of cons. It's a longstanding problem.
If it's even open.

Unfortunately, it's the same in Istanbul, Paris, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
If it's even open.
OK, this was funny.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:15 am

Visited the palace two weeks ago. Read on all scams beforehand. When I got off the bus, no clue which direction to go. Found an official tagged government volunteer at a map point where specifically they alert of you the scam in more than one language, i.e. English. So the guy gave directions and instructions. Pleasantly surprised, they are acknowledging the issue and being proactive with the volunteers. The Palace itself had multiple entry points, very confusing, BRING PLENTY OF WATER, there is no shop inside and you can get dizzy. I did the free tour in English, check website for times and was satisfied. Even though not everything was available to be seen, it was definitely worth a visit. Would I say a must see? Yes! Don't discount the museums on the way out.
MBK center, not sure why some people are so against it, it has some good sales and some good fakes. On the phone floor, try the Thai Tacos in the middle for 20 baht, absolutely amazing.
Across the MBK is the Gallery, absolutely a must if you have an hour for a quick visit and 2-3 for a relaxed one with all the exhibitions.
In Siam Paragon, the fancy grocery store equivalent to whole foods Gourmet Market is a must visit. You can sample lots of traditional cookies and fruit, etc... Good wine selection if you are into wine as Asia is so bad with good quality and availability.
Obviously more temples, food and shopping is available.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmamminna
MBK center, not sure why some people are so against it, it has some good sales and some good fakes..
I think not. A special police unit raided MBK a few weeks ago and declared there were no fake goods so that's now a settled matter.

/sarcasm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Oh by the way, they do ask for ID at the security checkpoint for the palace. My U.S. driver's license was fine.
By law non-residents are actually supposed to carry their passport (or at least a copy) with them at all times in Thailand ... but I doubt that many do. And Thai police have given contradictory advice on the subject at times.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by timster
By law non-residents are actually supposed to carry their passport (or at least a copy) with them at all times in Thailand ... but I doubt that many do. And Thai police have given contradictory advice on the subject at times.
I used to carry a copy, but now I have a copy saved on my phone and to the cloud. The hotel also has a copy should I lose my passport and need to go to the embassy for a new document.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.