Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking short Asia hops

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
When you say full service carries which ones are the main players for domestic Thailand routes?

Another question: if I am flying say from BKK-CNX and then 3 days later CNX-HKT how early before the flight is needed to arrive at the airport

Thanks
Old May 13, 2017, 12:04 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dsquared37
While you have good information you still succumb to the false assumption that LCCs are cheaper than the full service carriers. This is often, but not always, the case.
Flight JHB-KUL
1x Guest 27.80 MYR
Airport Tax 9.00 MYR
GST 2.21 MYR
Subtotal 39.01 MYR

Add-ons & Fees
Direct debit processing fee 4.24 MYR
Checked baggage 20kg 31.80 MYR
Subtotal 36.04 MYR

Total amount 75.05 MYR
Total GST 2.21 MYR
Total paid 75.05 MYR
Show me the full-service flight with the same price.

Obviously not 'always' - the business model of LCC is to maximize profit based on needs of the pax. I've seen the price of the above JHB-KUL flight on AirAsia to be 600MYR 2h before departure.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by invisible

You're asking for the logically impossible and totally missing the point.

That particular price? Probably not, though I have seen domestic flights on MH price at 85 MYR on occasion. And that is exactly why you should never exclude looking at all potential airlines.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dsquared37
And that is exactly why you should never exclude looking at all potential airlines.
I do not think anybody does. And yes, I already bought one such fare

Flight JHB-KUL
Passenger Type Base Fare Adult 82.00 MYR
per person Taxes 16.58 MYR
per person Total Fare 98.58 MYR
TOTAL AIR FARE: 98.58 MYR
Not exactly 30MYR like with AirAsia, but I can live paying 99MYR
Old May 13, 2017, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by invisible
I've seen the same price for DD, AK, WE, and TG for BKK-CNX in Y when luggage was included, and I've flown on DD so I know to do the price comparisons. Was a no-brainer to buy the TG flight on an A333 since BKK was more convenient than DMK for the flight, and the TG time worked better than WE (as I recall PG was a touch more at the time). It was something like $50 USD as an advance fare.

I won't stay away from Asian LCCs by any means but just like it's not always cheaper on WN in the USA it isn't always cheaper on an LCC.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I've seen the same price for DD, AK, WE, and TG for BKK-CNX in Y when luggage was included, and I've flown on DD so I know to do the price comparisons. Was a no-brainer to buy the TG flight on an A333 since BKK was more convenient than DMK for the flight, and the TG time worked better than WE (as I recall PG was a touch more at the time). It was something like $50 USD as an advance fare.

I won't stay away from Asian LCCs by any means but just like it's not always cheaper on WN in the USA it isn't always cheaper on an LCC.
I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest option (price is a factor but not the only one for sure). I am more concerned with the most comfortable option in E+ or maybe even J that meets my schedule requirements.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; May 14, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have no advice as far as buying J for short hops in Asia goes. On a 400 mile intra-Thailand flight I would consider it a complete waste of my money. I won't even spend much money (if any) on exit row for that length of flight (I am OK with an hour in fairly tight pitch even at 6'2").

All my non-longhaul J flights in Asia came as part of mileage redemptions. While it was fun to get drinks at the EK bar on BKK-HKG I wouldn't have dropped ~$700 on it as a cash fare. The time I flew BKK-CNX on TG in Y up (cash) and J back (*A J redemption to Europe on LX with a free leg on TG) I would not have paid extra for J were it not included in the ticket. Y was fine. YMMV.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 14, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.