Wiki Posts
Search

Booking short Asia hops

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Indeed. You should be able to get much lower CX fare through Exp.th or Exp.com.sg.
I often find CX fares are cheapest when purchased directly.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I noticed the same recently Before Nok Air had reasonable fares even when traveling with check-in luggage - now the Nok Air promo fares are only great if you travel without luggage.
More to the point, now Nok Air fares are only advantageous if not traveling with luggage. With bags in need of checking, fares can often be had on PG at similar prices. Granted, Nok has a more extensive route network.

Oddly, as Nok Fan Club member (gifted from them) I now get, on the cheapo fares, 5kg of checked luggage. As if that is of any benefit to me or them.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
More to the point, now Nok Air fares are only advantageous if not traveling with luggage. With bags in need of checking, fares can often be had on PG at similar prices. Granted, Nok has a more extensive route network.
Indeed, and to get out into the Gulf of Thailand islands, DD/AK are considerably better prices on "fly and ferry" than PG into their near-monopoly airport at USM. Granted there's some added time involved because it's really fly+bus+ferry, but if you want an island other than Samui anyway...

(I try to travel one bag only, so carryon-only isn't so scary for me.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 20, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Old May 1, 2017, 8:56 am

I used to live in Thailand and now travel there about once a year as I have a house in one of the provinces just outside of Bangkok. The two airlines that I use are Nok Air and Air Asia. It is best to go directly to the airline's website as they have specials and discounts that are hard to come by on travel websites. Also both of these airlines are budget types. Which means that you will have to pay extra for things like luggage and reserved seats, etc. On the airline's website everything is spelled out and you can accomplish it all in one place and know what the total is for your ticket. Both of these airlines are efficient and safe. They both also fly out of Don Meaung airport, which used to be the international airport before being replaced by Suvarnabhumi. Don Meaung is such an easy airport to get to and to fly into and out of.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:33 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Chinese New Year:

Book Your Hotels (refundable)
Rates will be high, if you wait too late

Airfares, wait and track rates...
Old May 5, 2017, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by floridastorm
I used to live in Thailand and now travel there about once a year as I have a house in one of the provinces just outside of Bangkok. The two airlines that I use are Nok Air and Air Asia. It is best to go directly to the airline's website as they have specials and discounts that are hard to come by on travel websites. Also both of these airlines are budget types. Which means that you will have to pay extra for things like luggage and reserved seats, etc. On the airline's website everything is spelled out and you can accomplish it all in one place and know what the total is for your ticket. Both of these airlines are efficient and safe. They both also fly out of Don Meaung airport, which used to be the international airport before being replaced by Suvarnabhumi. Don Meaung is such an easy airport to get to and to fly into and out of.
Thanks for that. We will have luggage as this is a 2 week trip so will that negate any savings? Also Is it possible to buy E+ or a seat with extra leg room on Air Asia or Nok? I am over 6' tall
Old May 5, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Chinese New Year:

Book Your Hotels (refundable)
Rates will be high, if you wait too late

Airfares, wait and track rates...

Thanks! I do have a sky scanner alert for the 2 routes I still need to book (BKK-CNX and CNX-HKT.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Thanks for that. We will have luggage as this is a 2 week trip so will that negate any savings? Also Is it possible to buy E+ or a seat with extra leg room on Air Asia or Nok? I am over 6' tall
Even paying for a bag and to select a seat, you will likely still save money. These are actually very good airlines, despite being LCC, so for short hops, even at the same amount as a full service airline you might still want to consider Air Asia or Nok. I usually pay for a bag on Air Asia and used to pay for a seat to ensure I wouldn't get stuck in the middle. Also, purchasing the package that allows a checked bag and premium seat with advance selection gets you in the fast line for check-in where you usually don't have anyone in front of you.

All my Air Asia flights have been on A320s, which have a single class of service. You can purchase an exit row seat, or the first row bulk head. The latter's aisle seats will give you lots of extra leg room.

Your cabin bags are limited to 7kg (15-16lbs) total (small suitcase and laptop bag) and they do weigh the bags. I've never had them enforce the weight limit, but just be aware they keep telling me they will be enforcing it as of (insert date).

One last thing... If you will be flying out of DMK or BKK but returning a short time later, you can inexpensively check suitcases at the airport and pick them up on your return. I do this sometimes if one suitcase contains a week or so of laundry and shoes I needed in Bangkok but won't need in another destination. Not only does that cut down on the cost, but it's easier not shlepping an unneeded bag across Asia.

Hope that helps.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Even paying for a bag and to select a seat, you will likely still save money. These are actually very good airlines, despite being LCC, so for short hops, even at the same amount as a full service airline you might still want to consider Air Asia or Nok. I usually pay for a bag on Air Asia and used to pay for a seat to ensure I wouldn't get stuck in the middle. Also, purchasing the package that allows a checked bag and premium seat with advance selection gets you in the fast line for check-in where you usually don't have anyone in front of you.

All my Air Asia flights have been on A320s, which have a single class of service. You can purchase an exit row seat, or the first row bulk head. The latter's aisle seats will give you lots of extra leg room.

Your cabin bags are limited to 7kg (15-16lbs) total (small suitcase and laptop bag) and they do weigh the bags. I've never had them enforce the weight limit, but just be aware they keep telling me they will be enforcing it as of (insert date).

One last thing... If you will be flying out of DMK or BKK but returning a short time later, you can inexpensively check suitcases at the airport and pick them up on your return. I do this sometimes if one suitcase contains a week or so of laundry and shoes I needed in Bangkok but won't need in another destination. Not only does that cut down on the cost, but it's easier not shlepping an unneeded bag across Asia.

Hope that helps.
Thank yo so much this is really helpful! I will be checking their website and looking to get a first row bulkhead and the package you mention sounds like the way to go for us. I definitely do not mind paying more for the legroom and fast lane check in sounds great too.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I'll agree that Nok (DD) is decent but I don't care at all for Air Asia (FD). Also, Nok now charges for bags, and they both charge you for the simple act of paying for your ticket.

There's no doubt these two airlines can save you money even with the aforementioned seat, bag and purchase costs, however that is far from universal and often, yes, often, I've seen them cost more than TG/WE/PG.

If FD/DD are cheaper and fit your schedule by all means go for them but assuming they are less expensive than full service airlines, without pricing out those airlines, is a mistake.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:57 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Thank yo so much this is really helpful! I will be checking their website and looking to get a first row bulkhead and the package you mention sounds like the way to go for us. I definitely do not mind paying more for the legroom and fast lane check in sounds great too.
Be careful with Air Asia. If you add many options, your ticket will quickly cost more than the few full service airlines out there.

I've flown Air Asia over a hundred flights in the past 2 years. I never pay for a better seat. I never pay for a checked bag. So, I have realized a huge savings.

The exit rows have more legroom. But, I don't think any other seat has more legroom, including the bulkheads.

And, there is no fast lane check-in outside of Bangkok. They do have premium boarding... but in most instances that gives you priority boarding at a bus gate... so you get on the bus before another hundred passengers seal you in.

I love Air Asia. But, do not fly them if your extra charges have you paying more than a full service airline.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'll agree that Nok (DD) is decent but I don't care at all for Air Asia (FD). Also, Nok now charges for bags, and they both charge you for the simple act of paying for your ticket.

There's no doubt these two airlines can save you money even with the aforementioned seat, bag and purchase costs, however that is far from universal and often, yes, often, I've seen them cost more than TG/WE/PG.

If FD/DD are cheaper and fit your schedule by all means go for them but assuming they are less expensive than full service airlines, without pricing out those airlines, is a mistake.
Agreed, thank you!
Old May 10, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
But, I don't think any other seat has more legroom, including the bulkheads.
As I stated earlier, the aisle bulkhead seats give you extra legroom. The wall does not extend the full length, so you are able to put your feet to the side of the wall.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
+1 for 'book direct with the airline' I use the asian LCCs (AirAsia, Scoot, Tiger, Lion - even NOK) a great deal. I always book direct and I've never had a problem. Because those LCC have lots of extras that you may need to buy (checked baggage, meal, seat assignment), it's much easier to book direct. Even with a good broker (like orbitz), you may only be offered a particular set of extras – and it may be difficult (or impossible) to get into the actual reservation record with the airline after the fact and add those extras you need. There is a name for people who pay the checked baggage fee at the airport: suckers. Finally, what ever you do, don't use eDreams to book anything. ever.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I live in Asia and fly within the region on LCCs only. As it was correctly said - global fare tracking websites do not display the cheapest fares, you need to check it with the airline. THe best tactic is to go to all these airline websites and sign up for their newsletter so you can know when big sale is coming.

AirAsia has usually one good sale every quarter and huge sales (like $1 fares) twice a year. You need to be prepared for these sales and jump to action within minute because after several hours seats are gone.

One specific notion about LCCs - added charges. Note that all of them charge for credit card payment option and sometimes it is cheaper to book two one ways to minimize such charges. For example, if you book SIN-KUL-SIN round trip on AirAsia, you will bay $16 on credit card processing fee. However if you book SIN-KUL and KUL-SIN separately, you will pay $8 and 8RM - $6 savings.

Another thing to watch out - checked luggage fees. The cheapest option, at least with AirAsia is to pay for luggage when you book the flight. All other options - add checked luggage later and especially - pay for luggage at airport - will be considerably more expensive.

In short, if you want to fly cheap within Asia:

- Be flexible with dates
- Fly with carry on only
- Do not pay for extras - seat assignment, meals, checked luggage, insurance, etc.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
P.S. Avoid Scoot at all costs. If you wonder why - search FT forums with 'scoot' in subj line, there are some entertaining reads....

Last edited by invisible; May 12, 2017 at 9:44 pm
Old May 12, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
I live in Asia and fly within the region on LCCs only. As it was correctly said - global fare tracking websites do not display the cheapest fares, you need to check it with the airline. THe best tactic is to go to all these airline websites and sign up for their newsletter so you can know when big sale is coming.

AirAsia has usually one good sale every quarter and huge sales (like $1 fares) twice a year. You need to be prepared for these sales and jump to action within minute because after several hours seats are gone.

One specific notion about LCCs - added charges. Note that all of them charge for credit card payment option and sometimes it is cheaper to book two one ways to minimize such charges. For example, if you book SIN-KUL-SIN round trip on AirAsia, you will bay $16 on credit card processing fee. However if you book SIN-KUL and KUL-SIN separately, you will pay $8 and 8RM - $6 savings.

Another thing to watch out - checked luggage fees. The cheapest option, at least with AirAsia is to pay for luggage when you book the flight. All other options - add checked luggage later and especially - pay for luggage at airport - will be considerably more expensive.

In short, if you want to fly cheap within Asia:

- Be flexible with dates
- Fly with carry on only
- Do not pay for extras - seat assignment, meals, checked luggage, insurance, etc.
While you have good information you still succumb to the false assumption that LCCs are cheaper than the full service carriers. This is often, but not always, the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.