Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nok Air - Issues or Biz as Usual?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Nok Air - Issues or Biz as Usual?

Just wanted to get some feedback if I should be concerned about potential operational issues/disruptions with Nok Air. I've flown with them in the past with no issues. I'm considering booking a SGN to DMK leg with them but their pilot strike last year and fiscal issues have me a bit spooked. Thoughts?

TIA.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:17 pm

You'll be fine if the flight is in the next 6 months, there is no concern in my view. The usually fly one of the brand new NG800s on this sector and one can normally get a good fare.

However, if you are concerned try Thai Lion though it is an early flight ex SGN.

The pilots strike was only 10 senior pilots in a power play but that did cause them loads of problems which took a few months to recover from. That is the main cause of their extra losses for 2016 as they had to wet lease from TLM and New Gen to esnure fligths for a few weeks and the did lose a lot of customers with the disruptions.

Nok is reducing their NG fleet by 4 this year. Handing back 6 expensive leased NG800 and delaying 2 new 800s until 2nd half of 2017. Meanwhile, they got a good deal for 4 newish Q400s from Bombadier which will be delivered through 2017. Essentially, they are freeing up some of the NGs for new China and India routes by using more Q400s.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News this week...

Nok Air continues tailspin with B3.3bn loss in 2016

Nok Air's loss widened last year to an all-time high of 3.28 billion baht, making it the only SET-listed airline to be in the red in 2016.

The loss was higher than expected because of a jump in operating costs and a marginal drop in revenue, largely stemming from the problems it had with pilots early last year.

The 2016 loss was 98% more than the previous year's record loss of 1.66 billion baht as the 12-year-old carrier continued its tailspin.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...n-loss-in-2016

Nok Air shedding costs, aircraft capacity

Nok Air is embarking on a business recovery plan, but the struggling budget airline's boss says it's a non-starter to expect the company to find its way out of deep financial woes anytime soon.

"It's unrealistic to expect us to be back in the black this year due to the depth of problems, but maybe we can break if our remedial plan works well and no significant impact from external factors arises," chief executive Patee Sarasin told the Bangkok Post.

He was responding candidly for the first time after last week's declaration of a record loss of 3.28 billion baht for 2016, up from 1.66 billion baht in the previous year.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...craft-capacity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.