Community
Wiki Posts
Search

farang buying motorcycle in bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

farang buying motorcycle in bangkok

will motorcycle shops (say a honda shop) sell a brand new motorcycle to a farang?

also are drivers license from other countries valid in .th?

window.post_1488940407896_10 = function(win,msg){
win.postMessage(msg,"*");
}
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's never a definitive answer to questions like this.

I'd ask/read here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/...s-in-thailand/

In addition to purchase, you need to register and insure the vehicle.

Yes, it can be done, but expect a lot of paperwork. To start you'll need a Residence Certificate, which will require other paperwork.

https://www.tielandtothailand.com/ce...ate-residency/

Some report success using a home country DL, other's report success with an Int'l DL.

You can get a Thai DL simply based on having a DL from another country, but you will need to apply for the DL. I got both a Thai auto and MC DL's here based on my U.S. license.

If you could share more details on your situation, specifically are you a tourist, or planning on staying longer term? More details would allow for better recommendations.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 7, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

month long stay

planning a month long stay, and ride all around the country side, at least that which is accessible from bkk.

are monthly rentals not too expensive as an easier option.window.post_1488979270771_2 = function(win,msg){
}window.post_1488979273372_10 = function(win,msg){
}
Old Mar 8, 2017, 7:38 am

Just curious why you need a brand new motorcycle...why can't you buy a used one? What are you going to do with the bike after your month long trip? Also curious if you have been to Thailand several times before?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not certain how feasible it might be to buy a motorbike to use for 30 days?

What sort of bike were you considering? What budget?

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/cate...ycles-for-SALE

I imagine you could rent one for a month but just make sure you understand the risk. Thailand has what has been universally described as the second worst road fatality record, and the bulk of those fatalities are motorcycle related. I find one of the most challenging aspects of driving a car here is that there are motorbikes overtaking you on both sides (quickly), and driving the wrong way (towards you) on the left-side break-down lane. I think I spend more time looking in the 3 mirrors than straight ahead.

The last time I looked the prices in Bangkok were 250/1500/3000 THB per day/week/month.

You cannot drive motorbikes, regardless of displacement, on most motorways, but people do.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Driving Licence:
To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain within the law, you must possess and produce:
• A national motorcycle drivers licence issued in your home country, valid for a motorcycle AND,
• An International Driving Permit (IDP) NB - Some people believe your home licence in English with a photo satisfies Thai law. In the end it is "up to you".
• The maximum period that you can drive a motor vehicle legally on an IDP in Thailand is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa.
• If you intend to stay for more than 3 months you will require a Thai Driver's Licence. To obtain this requires a formal in-person application at one of the Land Transport offices. You must have non-immigrant visa status in your passport and a certified letter of address from your embassy or the police.

The Department of Land Transportation website explains the procedure.
http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

Insurance:
Under Thai law the owner of the motorcycle is required to hold a minimum 3rd party liability insurance policy.

If you are involved in an accident, with property damage or personal injury to any party, be aware that if the Thai Police and/or Insurance Company discover that licencing and permit documents are not in order, you may feel the full force of the law, and may have any insurance cover invalidated (if there is any). You may also be required by the Thai authorities, to post a LARGE cash bail amount to cover any liability you may incur. If the other party was at fault but does not have insurance, you are liable for the repair costs to your machine and any medical bills.

You should also check the fine print of any travel insurance that you may have. Many exclude riding (as driver or passenger) machines over 125cc. The policy may also be declared null and void for a number of other reasons, so best check first.

Buying a motorcycle:
Most new/second-hand motorcycles that are available in Thailand are 150cc. Recently some 250cc motorcycles have become available in Thailand. Larger capacity bikes are available but these are produced outside Thailand and are hit by very heavy import duties/taxes making them extremely expensive.

All vehicles must be registered and taxed with the Department of Land Transport so the shop selling the bike (new/second-hand) will require you to provide a certified letter of residence. If you only have a Tourist Visa you can get this from your Embassy in BKK (normally available same day but a fee will be payable), or from the local police/immigration office (free of charge) but it may take 2/3 weeks.

The purchase price is often negotiable and transactions tend to be in cash. Once the paperwork is completed you can drive the bike away. As a foreigner you will not be able to purchase the bike on credit and it is unlikely that a credit card will be accepted. A bankers counter cheque may be accepted but the shop will not release the bike until the cheque has been cleared.

New, and second-hand bikes that need to be registered/re-registered, will be given a temporary (red) number plate provided by the shop. There are restriction relating to times of day when red number plate vehicles can be driven – not normally after dark. It normally takes about a month for the Department of Land Transport to issue a (white) number plate.

If you buy a new bike and intend to resell it a month later, don’t expect to get what you paid for it. A new bike may only realise 1/3rd of its original price. A second-hand bike about 1/2 of the price you paid for it. Also if it has a red number plate you may find it difficult to sell.

Remember the old saying – Buyer Beware. It is very true in Thailand. On second-hand bikes you will be very lucky to get a warranty which lasts any longer than 3 meters of 30 seconds, whichever is the sooner.

Hiring a Motorbike:
Motorcycles can be hired for around 150 – 300 Thai Baht per day depending upon make, model, capacity and age/condition. Long term rental can work out cheaper and is negotiable.

Only use a reputable hire company that is licenced to rent motorcycles to tourists. The less reputable shops will happily hire you a motorcycle whether you have the appropriate permit and licence or not. They are only interested in your cash.

Ensure that the hire company includes insurance with the rental and will give you a copy of the insurance certificate. Check that the insurance covers damage to the bike and damage/injury to third parties.

Ensure that you carefully check the bike over for any damage/defects and inform the company before signing a contract and taking the bike away. Best to take photos of the bike from various angles just in case.

Some companies will ask for a deposit (get a receipt) which is returnable when you return the bike. However, some shops will insist that you give them your passport as security. If they do ask for your passport its best to walk away. Technically under Thai law, as a foreigner, you are required to have your passport on you at all times and if you get stopped by the police and cannot produce it, things can be made difficult for you. Also, some hire shops have been known to claim when you return the bike that you damaged it and demand heavy compensation. With your passport in their hands, they hold all the bargaining chips.

General advice:
Motorcycling can be a fun way to move around the Kingdom independently, but remember road accidents are common.

The rate of accidents and fatalities on Thai roads is HORRENDOUS, in fact 40 people a day DIE in Thailand from motorcycle accidents alone. Many more visitors and locals are permanently disfigured or disabled, so it is not recommended for the novice.

If you don't ride a motorcycle in your own country, Thailand is definitely NOT the place to learn.

Remain vigilant and always drive defensively.

Driving at night is considered particularly dangerous.

Police regularly conduct traffic stops. If you are stopped by the police for any reason, stay calm, and be respectful. If you have been obeying the road rules, are not intoxicated, and hold the proper documentation, you will have NO problem and will be sent on your way.

Last edited by Oldtiger; Mar 9, 2017 at 1:08 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
[deleted by Dr. HFH]

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 9, 2017 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 9, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

does not have to be new, a decent used one is ok.

thank you for the input, if 3000thb is indeed a month rental cost then that looks like a very reasonable option.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:26 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I'd be very suspect of that price. I think people would rent a mediocre scooter for 3000 a month on a long term contract to a renter that was not at risk of disappearance (deposit or ties to BKK, work permit, Thai guarantor, etc).

You could easily buy a used scooter for 10,000-25,000ish depending on model/condition, etc. It may be harder to sell once you're done... but at the right price, you can sell a bike here in a day.

As stated above, you can register a vehicle in Thailand with a government issued document containing your Thai address. Embassy issued notarized statements of address are accepted, usually for a $50-70 fee.

People have warned of road hazards and the risk of death/injury. However, there are far more hazards to consider. Heat/sun being on of the biggest if you plan on being on the bike for days in a row.

Road conditions include complete lack of road lighting between some upcountry towns, road repairs partially completed (or stretches with deadly potholes), and the strength of Thai rain downpours. Mix any two of these together and you have very dangerous road conditions even without the hoards of idiots on the road during the day and the mass commercial transport that takes place during the night (18 wheelers, 10 wheelers, with no care of anything but getting from A to B as quick as possible).

Other risks are gangs of Thai youth, who often troll quiet town streets looking for trouble.

That being said, I've driven scooters, motorcycles, and cars around Thailand for many years. I wish I could say I haven't been in any serious accidents, but it's not true. However, with the right vehicle, and mindset, in the right conditions, I think it's possible to stay safe on the streets.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
I would suggest that any farang seriously contemplating this should consult a psychiatrist first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.