Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourist Visa.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I certainly wouldn't book an hour connection. 2 hour minimum, and I'd lean towards 3, if I could.

It's Phuket...
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Exactly, that's where I got confuse! you read my mind right. Thank you for the additional info.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No, see below.

Correct.

This is where I believe that you may have become a bit derailed.

The Visa Exemption program is just that, -- people who enter Thailand under this program are exempt from visa requirements. Since people who enter the country under this program don't need visas, do not stop at the "Visa On Arrival" desks you'll pass on the way to Immigration. At the Immigration booth, the Immigration Officer will stamp a 30 day entry permit into your passport. While the distinction may seem a bit picayune, it could have implications under the ever-changing Thai immigration laws. For a tourist from a visa-exempt country who plans to leave Thailand within 30 days of arrival and does not plan to work (or break any other laws), you'll be fine.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I was leaning toward 2hr..but now that you said it again. I remember going through Bali departing terminal lining up for 2 1/2 hrs. Thank you for your input.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I certainly wouldn't book an hour connection. 2 hour minimum, and I'd lean towards 3, if I could.

It's Phuket...
Old Mar 4, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The Visa Exemption program is just that, -- people who enter Thailand under this program are exempt from visa requirements. Since people who enter the country under this program don't need visas.....
Sorry but I must disagree with your comment above.

Firstly, the ‘program’ as you call it is actually known as the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme (TVAS) and secondly it does not mean that people entering Thailand under this scheme do not need a Visa.

Remember, a Visa is an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter and stay for a specific purpose and period of time in a country. I think you will be hard pressed to name one country in the world (other than possibly La La land) that will allow a foreign national to legally enter their country without a visa of one sort or another.

Currently passport holders from 49 countries may avail themselves of the TVES when entering Thailand. The TVES is not available online or from any Thai Embassies or Consular Offices. The TVES can only be activated at the port of entry into Thailand.

The TVES should not be mixed up with another scheme known as Visa on Arrival (VoA) which applies to passport holders of 19 countries not included on the TVES list. Passport holders whose country does not appear on either the TVES or VoA list will need to apply for a tourist visa through their nearest Thai Embassy or Consular Office.

You are correct when you say that people entering Thailand under TVES are exempt from visa requirements. These requirements only include the need to submit of a visa application form, passport size photo, copies of supporting documentation (itinerary/tickets/hotel bookings/proof of funds etc) and a visa fee.

That said, when you arrive in Thailand you are required to complete an Entry/Departure Card which must be handed to the immigration officer with your passport. Strange that the information requested on the Entry/Departure card almost mirrors the information requested on the standard Tourist Visa application form and that the immigration officer will also ask the person to stand on a specific spot marked on the floor (pair of feet) so that the he/she can take your photo with their webcam.

Although copies of supporting documentation are not normally required under TVES, the immigration officer has the right to ask to see travel documents/hotel bookings etc and request proof that the individual has sufficient funds to cover their stay.

As previously mentioned, provided that the immigration officer is satisfied that the person meets the necessary requirement under the TVES, he/she will stamp a rectangular entry visa stamp into the person’s passport – see picture with Post #8. You will note that the stamp has the words VISACLASS just above the entry date. The officer will mark this with the letter ‘T’ to denote tourist visa and enter the permitted duration of stay (up to 30 days).

The above mentioned stamp is the endorsement in passport that the holder is entitled to enter the country for a specific purpose and duration as per the definition of a visa.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Sorry but I must disagree with your comment above.

Firstly, the ‘program’ as you call it is actually known as the Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme (TVAS) and secondly it does not mean that people entering Thailand under this scheme do not need a Visa.

Remember, a Visa is an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter and stay for a specific purpose and period of time in a country. I think you will be hard pressed to name one country in the world (other than possibly La La land) that will allow a foreign national to legally enter their country without a visa of one sort or another.
A visa exemption stamp is not a visa.

Where is this mythical La La Land that you can LEGALLY enter without any documentation?

Currently passport holders from 49 countries may avail themselves of the TVES when entering Thailand. The TVES is not available online or from any Thai Embassies or Consular Offices. The TVES can only be activated at the port of entry into Thailand.

The TVES should not be mixed up with another scheme known as Visa on Arrival (VoA) which applies to passport holders of 19 countries not included on the TVES list. Passport holders whose country does not appear on either the TVES or VoA list will need to apply for a tourist visa through their nearest Thai Embassy or Consular Office.
And Dr HFH has clearly denoted that the exemption is not a VoA.

You are correct when you say that people entering Thailand under TVES are exempt from visa requirements. These requirements only include the need to submit of a visa application form, passport size photo, copies of supporting documentation (itinerary/tickets/hotel bookings/proof of funds etc) and a visa fee.

That said, when you arrive in Thailand you are required to complete an Entry/Departure Card which must be handed to the immigration officer with your passport. Strange that the information requested on the Entry/Departure card almost mirrors the information requested on the standard Tourist Visa application form and that the immigration officer will also ask the person to stand on a specific spot marked on the floor (pair of feet) so that the he/she can take your photo with their webcam.
Stranger even that you try to parlay any similarities into this being the same entity.

Although copies of supporting documentation are not normally required under TVES, the immigration officer has the right to ask to see travel documents/hotel bookings etc and request proof that the individual has sufficient funds to cover their stay.
So?

As previously mentioned, provided that the immigration officer is satisfied that the person meets the necessary requirement under the TVES, he/she will stamp a rectangular entry visa stamp into the person’s passport – see picture with Post #8. You will note that the stamp has the words VISACLASS just above the entry date. The officer will mark this with the letter ‘T’ to denote tourist visa and enter the permitted duration of stay (up to 30 days).

The above mentioned stamp is the endorsement in passport that the holder is entitled to enter the country for a specific purpose and duration as per the definition of a visa.
But the passport holder doesn't need a visa pre-approved in their passport - hence they are exempt from having a visa in their passport which is exactly what you are decrying isn't correct.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I believe a strict definition of the word "visa" could conceivably encompass the actual entry stamps. The presence of the word "visas" at the top of each US passport page where stamps can be made seems be the evidence for such an interpretation, at least in the context of this thread.

But that's extraordinarily pedantic -- at best. Trying to push that interpretation of the word "visa" is not helping anyone understand entry requirements.

"Visa" == something prearranged with a visa-issuing authority.
"Entry stamp" == the stamp placed into your passport when you enter. This is not a "visa", at least not in common, well-understood sense of the term.

So to reiterate, based on the common and well-understood meanings of the relevant terms: Canadians do not need a "visa" to enter Thailand for tourist stays of 30 days or less. You will however get an "entry stamp" as you enter the country.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
As previously (and correctly) pointed out, visa exemption is not the same as visa or visa on arrival.

An entry stamp is not the same as visa or visa on arrival.

An arrival/departure card is not the same as visa or visa on arrival.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tai4de2
I believe a strict definition of the word "visa" could conceivably encompass the actual entry stamps. The presence of the word "visas" at the top of each US passport page where stamps can be made seems be the evidence for such an interpretation, at least in the context of this thread.

But that's extraordinarily pedantic -- at best. Trying to push that interpretation of the word "visa" is not helping anyone understand entry requirements.

"Visa" == something prearranged with a visa-issuing authority.
"Entry stamp" == the stamp placed into your passport when you enter. This is not a "visa", at least not in common, well-understood sense of the term.

So to reiterate, based on the common and well-understood meanings of the relevant terms: Canadians do not need a "visa" to enter Thailand for tourist stays of 30 days or less. You will however get an "entry stamp" as you enter the country.

This pretty much sums up the direction in silliness this thread has taken. The OP more or less answered their own question with their first post, via the link

http://www.thaiembassy.ca/en/visitin...ssport-holders

Canadian passport holders with at least 6 months validity remaining on the passport and a confirmed airline ticket out of Thailand (proof of leaving within 30 days) do not need a visa for visiting Thailand up to 30 days for tourism purposes.

Bolding is from the Thai Canadian Embassy page.

The Royal Thai Embassy web-site in Australia has nearly the exact same wording, along with the same bolded text.

Last edited by transpac; Mar 5, 2017 at 2:43 am
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by transpac
Still not enough details but if you cannot check your bags through - and I'm not 100% certain you can, making that 08:30 flight is problematic.

I'd probably go with Bangkok Airways so PG 275 (1,690 today's lowest fare), departs BKK at 10:00. There are some highly discounted fares (1,090) coming on-line 6 March but only for the first flight.
Those PG promo fares popped today, go in via their FB page.

BKK-HKT for 990+100 so 1,090 all in; 3 seats left right now for PG 275 on 11 May departs BKK at 10:00.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Do you guys have the direct link on the promo please. I cannot find it on the FB page.

Those PG promo fares popped today, go in via their FB page.

BKK-HKT for 990+100 so 1,090 all in; 3 seats left right now for PG 275 on 11 May departs BKK at 10:00.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.facebook.com/FlyBangkokAir/

scroll down until you see the blue suitcase, post ~ 22 hours ago, you'll see "990".

http://www.bangkokair.com/tha/promot...mpaign=justfly

Yesterday this link was giving me the promo prices; I ticketed a few, while the "main" site was giving the standard daily rates, so 1,490-1,690 instead of 990.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

When I click on the link I get this..

Sorry for the inconvenience
Access to this promotion For users in Thailand only.

https://www.facebook.com/FlyBangkokAir/

scroll down until you see the blue suitcase, post ~ 22 hours ago, you'll see "990".

http://www.bangkokair.com/tha/promot...mpaign=justfly

Yesterday this link was giving me the promo prices; I ticketed a few, while the "main" site was giving the standard daily rates, so 1,490-1,690 instead of 990.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.