Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Destination Wedding Thailand. Where?

Destination Wedding Thailand. Where?

Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Thailand beach wedding scene in Hangover 2 was filmed at the Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Phulay Bay Krabi.

http://www.phulay-bay.com/en/Wedding...-Light-Wedding

Plenty of Hi-So Thai/Thai wedding celebrations there, but suspect this involves mega-bucks?

Scheduling these venues is also a challenge, unless you plan a few years out.

For some reason Indians flock to Thailand for wedding ceremonies; I think that may be the biggest segment?

Again, I think most foreign couples get legally married in their home country, then have a "ceremony" in Thailand so all this legal mumbo-jumbo is a non-issue.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Plato90s
I know of a couple who got married in the local registrar... and then flew out to do the big "wedding" with family/friends.

It's the thought that counts, and the specific legality was really not that important to the bride compared to a wedding ceremony which will make other people turn green with envy.

Four Season Samui, btw, is a beautiful resort from my impression while having dinner/drinks on site. It's not my kind of resort, but I will say it's probably a fantastic place to stay if the FS style fits your travel profile.
Thanks Plato.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 1:17 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Make sure the photographer is Thai or has a valid work permit
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
For a wedding in Thailand to be legally recognized it has to take place in a local municipal/district (Amphur) office.
I think what you meant to say was that it has to be registered at the local Amphur in order to be considered a legal marriage in Thailand. The wedding does not have to take place at the Amphur offices.

-David
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think what you meant to say was that it has to be registered at the local Amphur in order to be considered a legal marriage in Thailand. The wedding does not have to take place at the Amphur offices.

-David
True. But.....

A ceremony itself doesn't have to take place. The registration is the marriage. If you register and have no ceremony, you're married. And as you said if you have a ceremony but don't register, you're not married.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
True. But.....

A ceremony itself doesn't have to take place. The registration is the marriage. If you register and have no ceremony, you're married. And as you said if you have a ceremony but don't register, you're not married.
True. But.....

A 'ceremony' does in fact take place during the process at the Amphur office. Take it from me.... I've got the 'tee shirt'.

The first part of the process is administrative - checking that all the documentation complies with regulations. If the paperwork is all in order, the second part of the process can be described as the marriage 'ceremony'.

According to the English Oxford Dictionary a ceremony is “an act or series of acts performed according to tradition or prescribed format”.

The couple will be seated if front of the Registrar who will then ask them individually if they wish to be married to the other. If they both answer yes then the Registrar will get the couple to sign the register. This part of the process must be witnessed by two people who can be chosen by the couple or be employees at the Amphur office.

Once the couple, the witnesses and the Registrar have signed the register the couple are legally married according to Thai law. At this point in the proceedings the Registrar will present the couple with their wedding certificate.

Last edited by Oldtiger; Jan 8, 2017 at 11:26 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.