FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Gifts for Ladies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1797561-gifts-ladies.html)

peachman Oct 20, 2016 10:23 am

Gifts for Ladies

Can the ladies please recommend a few gift ideas for me for my wife and our
2 grown daughters ? Not some tourist trinket, but something of decent
quality that the Thais make better than most other countries ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Gary

dtsm Oct 20, 2016 10:56 am

Mrs. visits Jim Thompson for their silk products, not inexpensive. Good selection in the Siam Paragon Mall store, think 2 or 3 floor. There's also stores in old Four Seasons and airport, and of course the JT Museum.

restlessinRNO Oct 20, 2016 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 27371724)
Mrs. visits Jim Thompson for their silk products, not inexpensive. Good selection in the Siam Paragon Mall store, think 2 or 3 floor. There's also stores in old Four Seasons and airport, and of course the JT Museum.

If you purchase Jim Thompson articles at the airport (duty-free), you do not have to try to get the 5% VAT refunded. The Jim Thompson store on Surawong Road has the largest selection though. :)

uncertaintraveler Oct 20, 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by peachman (Post 27371559)
Can the ladies please recommend a few gift ideas for me for my wife and our
2 grown daughters ? Not some tourist trinket, but something of decent
quality that the Thais make better than most other countries ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Gary

For the wife (or the daughters, if you are in to that sort of thing, I suppose): A go-go bar outfit?

tide Oct 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Naraya Bags

msm2000uk Oct 21, 2016 7:58 am

I have the details of an excellent coloured stone purveyor in Bangkok if that's what they'd like.

M

peachman Oct 21, 2016 9:52 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 27375173)
I have the details of an excellent coloured stone purveyor in Bangkok if that's what they'd like.

M

M,I do not know or understand what a Stone Purveyor is,but it sounds
intriguing.

Tide,thanks for the link to NaRaYa. Will also look into JT silks.

Thanks

msm2000uk Oct 21, 2016 10:08 am

Originally Posted by peachman (Post 27375617)
M,I do not know or understand what a Stone Purveyor is,but it sounds
intriguing.

Tide,thanks for the link to NaRaYa. Will also look into JT silks.

Thanks

A jeweller with excellent coloured stones.

M

Tchiowa Oct 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm (Post 27371724)

I second and third the recommendation of Jim Thompson silk.

sim510 Oct 22, 2016 2:43 pm

My own first thought was a nice JIM THOMPSON silk scarf or bag. They are done in the most gorgeous patterns! You will be blown away by how beautiful and well-made they are.

Tchiowa Oct 22, 2016 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk (Post 27375696)
A jeweller with excellent coloured stones.

M

If you know what you're doing you can get some excellent stones at a good price. If you don't know what you're doing you can get some colored glass at a ridiculous price. Do NOT, under any circumstances, go to a jewelry store or gem store that a tout on the street takes you to. In particular, if someone walks up to you and asks to talk to you so that they can practice their English, run the other way.

cyborg Oct 23, 2016 7:07 am

deleted

cyborg Oct 23, 2016 7:20 am

deleted

dtsm Oct 24, 2016 6:52 am

Originally Posted by cyborg (Post 27382185)
Is Johny's Gems still a reliable shop for jewelry and/or stones?

There is a very reputable high end costume jewelry shop in the Peninsula Plaza (btw Grand Hyatt and old Four Seasons) that you can consider. They create their own designs, etc. PM if interested and will get you contacts.

transpac Oct 24, 2016 11:47 pm

There are two large Jim Thompson stores - today it looked like they had different sorts of stock/items in both, and a large Na Ra Ya store, in Central World shopping center. If you wanted to to focus on those two brands, and cover as little as ground as possible.

Most of the displays are only showing black or white items, so you may have to ask to see more colorful items, which should be available.