Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 months and 2 days/passport expiration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by phuketdashscuba
The visa applications really depend on the embassy/consulate, they all have different requirements. For tourist though I think all require 6 months validity. Which really makes sense as well.

But as I said for the OP: there is no 6 month passport validity requirement for a visa exempt entry for most passport holders.
I am traveling to BKK next month. I will have +2 days left on 6-month validity of my passport when I enter and -3 days the I depart. I am applying for an Urgent Work permit upon arrival. Does anyone foresee an issue? Should I renew my passport before my trip? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Wait until you return.

When I renewed my passport within the past year, my horrible postman lost it. He scanned it at the wrong house. Those people did not receive it nor did any other neighbors. While the post office admits they lost it, the passport office would not do anything for thirty days. Then thirty more days. It turned into a thing. Finally my Senator's office got involved. Sixty something days after it should have arrived I got my new passport and a refund from the post office for the entire cost of the passport. I knew the passport was lost because I got the old one back, but it was not unusable because it had a hole punched in it.

You don't have time for things to go wrong, so wait until you come back. If you do decide to take care of it before you go, work through your Congressman's or Senator's office out of an abundance of caution. It will take two days if you do that. They have staff devoted to such things.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I am traveling to BKK next month. I will have +2 days left on 6-month validity of my passport when I enter and -3 days the I depart. I am applying for an Urgent Work permit upon arrival. Does anyone foresee an issue? Should I renew my passport before my trip? Thanks.
Entry and exit will not be an issue - the current requirement is that your passport is valid for your stay, I'm assuming you have a U.S. passport, but successful application/issuance of an Urgent Work Permit may be impacted. I think the "rules" changed on this type of WP last year, but not sure if passport validity is an issue? I'd check with your hosts, or some Thai officials, but it would be safest to get a new passport first, obviously. There may some obscure "law" or "rule" which any "official" could interpret to deny your uWP.

Last edited by transpac; Jan 15, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.