Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Thailand Itinerary

Thailand Itinerary

Old Jun 22, 16, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Thailand Itinerary

My wife and I are visiting Thailand for the first time this November. We have three nights booked in Bangkok so far and then plan on heading south.

Is it better to stay in Krabi area and then take day trips to different islands or stay on a island?

We will probably want to mix it up with some leisure on the beach and high adventure activities.

Also can anyone recommend a luxury villa or resort in the south?

We have two weeks in Thailand, is it worth taking a couple days and going to Cambodia?

Finally, does anyone know if we will be able to take in the latern festival if we do not go to the north?

Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 16, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finally, does anyone know if we will be able to take in the latern festival if we do not go to the north?

The full moon associated with Yi Peng and Loy Krathong falls on 14 November 2016.

Festivities vary a bit based on the day(s) of the week, but generally expect 13 - 16 Nov.
Old Jun 24, 16, 1:19 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
As far as Cambodia goes, I would say a couple days hiking in the Angkor Wat complex is a must. The nature is beautiful as is the sense of exploring history. Siem Reap is a nice town with lots to explore in terms of history and night life. (PNH has its own charms but it's a much more complex place and not all that great for in-and-out tourism)

The main tourist hotspots in the South are Samui, Puket, Pipi, Khao Lak (Pang nga province),Ao Nang(Krabi Province), and Lipe(satun province). All the major international chains are represented in all or many of these locations.

As far as I recall, Puket may be the best bet for planning island hopping excursions due to higher departure volumes.

I hope this helps!
Old Jun 24, 16, 9:39 am

If you go to Siem Reap / Angkor Wat, I would recommend at least 3 days (morning arrival (sunset experience), 1 full day, afternoon departure) as the bare minimum. Keep in mind, there's a non-stop flight to Siem Reap from Phuket but not Krabi. There are flights to Chiang Mai from both Phuket and Krabi. So Phuket would end up being more convenient and time saving. From Krabi you can still fly anywhere, you just may need to make a stop in Bangkok or elsewhere.

Some possible options: (I'm guessing you depart from BKK)
Bangkok -> Phuket -> Siem Reap -> Bangkok/Chiang Mai -> Bangkok
Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Phuket -> Siem Reap -> Bangkok
Bangkok -> Krabi -> Chiang Mai -> Bangkok/Siem Reap -> Bangkok
Bangkok -> Siem Reap -> Phuket -> Chiang Mai -> Bangkok

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time. All my married friends that go to Thailand have a blast in Phuket/Krabi/islands.

Last edited by CrazyInteg; Jun 24, 16 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 25, 16, 9:54 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
If you are heading for Krabi, stay at Ao Nang - the main mainland beach with decent restaurants etc. Other local beaches with hotels require transfers via long or speed boat and, with luggage, you may wish to avoid. You can take a short long boat ride to those beaches from Ao Nang for the day, or hire a personal long boat with driver for the day to sample the local islands. Or take a bigger boat to the other islands.
Old Jun 25, 16, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
You might consider Pimalai on Koh Lanta. Lanta is a favorite of mine—a big enough island to have high-end resorts, cheap street food, nightlife and secluded beaches all within 20 minutes of each other.
Old Jun 29, 16, 11:39 am

Programs: most of them
If you are looking for a Loy Krathong destination, Sukhothai is very good. I was there a few years ago for LK and enjoyed it immensely.

I also recommend more than just a couple of days for Cambodia. But that's somewhat dependent on your temple exploration tolerance. Not to say there aren't other things to do and see though as well. On the whole Siem Reap is a nice place to spend a few days. Great hospitality. In addition to the temples as noted there is great nature to explore as well. Phnom Penh can be worth a visit but it's gotten very crowded traffic-wise. And of course there are other parts of the country to see too.
Old Jun 30, 16, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I shudder to think what Siem Reap must be like these days, but definitely go because it's only going to get more so. When they open the McDonald's on the road between the town and the temple complex the tipping point will be officially past. Dunno if they've still got enough room atop that viewing hill in late afternoon. One strategy is to zig while others zag (tour buses tend to go Bayon-Ta Phrom-main temple). It's considered disrespectful to take nude selfies in front of the carvings.

Phuket and Krabi are similarly overrun vs. 20 years or so ago, but you might be OK in November, and it's always possible to do what the Kardashians did and mostly coccoon at some 5* place. Lanta and the other "newer" islands represent a longing for the kind of place Phuket or Krabi or Samui used to be before the big crowds arrived.

It'll be a good trip and you'll probably want to come back, so it's best not to cram the itin too full. I tried to do that on my early trips.

The attached pic, BTW, is Maya Bay (made famous by the movie "The Beach") on a typical day in high season. Like I said, too many people vs. before.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 30, 16, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
For comparison, this is Koh Lanta during high season.

Old Jul 4, 16, 11:35 pm

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
+1 on Koh Lanta. It's wonderful. Much quieter than Phuket, Ralay, Koh Samui, but still plenty of fun. Pimalai Resort at the southern end of Koh Lanta is my favourite resort in the world (check the Tripadvisor reviews). 5 star perfection on a secluded beach, but surrounded by enough great cheap local eateries and bars (including the awesome Why Not Bar) not to be captive to the resort. They handle all of the transfers to/from Krabi airport superbly too.

Siem Reap is incredible...but...even aside from the incredible temples, the town itself is great fun. Enjoy.

Last edited by RBH58; Jul 4, 16 at 11:47 pm
Old Jul 12, 16, 3:26 pm

Siem Reap reccomendations?

Originally Posted by RBH58 View Post
+1 on Koh Lanta. It's wonderful. Much quieter than Phuket, Ralay, Koh Samui, but still plenty of fun. Pimalai Resort at the southern end of Koh Lanta is my favourite resort in the world (check the Tripadvisor reviews). 5 star perfection on a secluded beach, but surrounded by enough great cheap local eateries and bars (including the awesome Why Not Bar) not to be captive to the resort. They handle all of the transfers to/from Krabi airport superbly too.

Siem Reap is incredible...but...even aside from the incredible temples, the town itself is great fun. Enjoy.

Hi, Thanks for the recommendation. I just made reservations at The Pimalai resort. Now I'm trying to plan our trip to Siem Reap and Chiang Mai. Do you have any suggestions?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: