Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Old Jan 12, 17, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Yappofloyd View Post
If you don't wish to 'trick' the AOT staff member who checks the tickets you could always just catch a BMTA 554 or 555 bus which run between both airports. Frequency is around 15 mins for both, trip time is longer than the AOT shuttle. Obviously, less convenient.
Thanks for the info ...

yes it would be easier just to buy a AOT ticket , but sometimes easy is not the way in Thailand
Old Jan 12, 17, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
When you are taking the free bus from one airport to the other, you don't just hop on the bus when it pulls up. You need to show your ticket to someone sitting at a table who puts you on the list of who can ride the bus. Although I've ridden the bus at least a half dozen times, I don't remember if they stamp your hand or what, but there is something that designates that you are eligible to ride the bus. The first time I rode the bus was from DMK to BKK. I showed my itinerary on my phone, but it didn't meet their qualification. I wound up having to go to a desk on the first floor of DMK where they called the airline to confirm I was on the the flight. It's not something they seem to take lightly. Since then, I've always had my actual BP when possible.
Old Jan 12, 17, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some visitors came in yesterday afternoon, VTE-DMK and reported near chaos at arriving Immigration, wait-times ~ 65 minutes ~ 16:00. It also sounds the taxi drop-off (previously on level 3) and pick-up (on level 1) may be changed?

They also reported quite long hold times for landing; they flew around for 45 minutes before getting a slot. I know DMK has some challenges (runways too close together) with arr/dep during peak times.
Old Jan 12, 17, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Some visitors came in yesterday afternoon, VTE-DMK and reported near chaos at arriving Immigration, wait-times ~ 65 minutes ~ 16:00.
Similar to what I experienced a couple months ago. The Aussie in front of me said he flies in every two weeks and it's been getting worse and worse. Half the problem is people get to the front of the line with incomplete paperwork. If they would hire a couple people to work the lines, making sure passengers are ready, the lines would likely move much faster.
Old Jan 12, 17, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
Thanks for the info ...

yes it would be easier just to buy a AOT ticket , but sometimes easy is not the way in Thailand
Why is that easier than simply having a printed itinerary and taking the free bus that travels the distance on the tollway?

Originally Posted by CJKatl View Post
Similar to what I experienced a couple months ago. The Aussie in front of me said he flies in every two weeks and it's been getting worse and worse. Half the problem is people get to the front of the line with incomplete paperwork. If they would hire a couple people to work the lines, making sure passengers are ready, the lines would likely move much faster.
They've been doing this for several years at BKK and while it slows down the snake, it speeds up the agent lines.

Unless the agent lines at immi have less than 3 or 4 people I just revert to FastTrack and use the pass I received that day or one I have stashed
Old Jan 12, 17, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
Why is that easier than simply having a printed itinerary and taking the free bus that travels the distance on the tollway?
Methinks poster was referring to bus only without actual flying, hence no BP.
Old Jan 12, 17, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
They've been doing this for several years at BKK and while it slows down the snake, it speeds up the agent lines.

Unless the agent lines at immi have less than 3 or 4 people I just revert to FastTrack and use the pass I received that day or one I have stashed
I rarely have an issue at BKK with either line, although sometimes a tour group will be in the FastTrack line so the regular line is much faster. Then again, I usually fly into BKK very late at night when there are no lines. The long lines are at DMK, where I don't think there is a FastTrack line. If there is, I wouldn't know. If I'm flying into DMK I'm on an LCC.
Old Jan 12, 17, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Methinks poster was referring to bus only without actual flying, hence no BP.
I agree with that assessment, but there's no restriction in purchasing from Expedia et al, cancelling within 24 hours and having an itin to show. If making the transit BKK-DMK there's lots of reasons one wouldn't be able to check in/have a BP to show (international flight, CC check at counter etc) and would need to rely upon a printed itin instead.

If heading DMK-BKK there's also the possibility of an award booking subsequently cancelled, an option probably not available in the reverse direction.
Old Jan 12, 17, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rarely have an issue at BKK with either line, although sometimes a tour group will be in the FastTrack line so the regular line is much faster. Then again, I usually fly into BKK very late at night when there are no lines. The long lines are at DMK, where I don't think there is a FastTrack line. If there is, I wouldn't know. If I'm flying into DMK I'm on an LCC.
I've seen monstrous lines at BKK in the 8PM hour (+/-). Often shortly before midnight things can be backed up as well. Outside of that 11AM and 3PM are usually, but not always, quick.

A month or so ago at 9AM Fast Track outbound was backed up to close to check in counters at the east area and the west area had two lines out the door. The main immi area was back to the glass. I don't normally fly out around that time and will try not to in the future.

Suffice to say, BKK has its windows of clear sailing but it's not often a walk in the park.
Old Jan 14, 17, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
The long lines are at DMK, where I don't think there is a FastTrack line. If there is, I wouldn't know. If I'm flying into DMK I'm on an LCC.
DMK certainly has a Diplomat/ABTC (APEC Business Traveler) line for inbound immigration. I used it as recently as last month using my ABTC
Old Jan 15, 17, 6:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
How long do people think it will take to get from the Sukhumvit Bangkok, area to the airport on a Tuesday morning?

My flight leaves at 8:15am tomorrow. I'd assume we'll board around 7:45, and I should be at the airport around 6:30am for check-in (I'm flying JL and have oneworld status to use F/priority check-in).

From that I'd think 5:45am would be the time to leave. Does that sound right?
Old Jan 15, 17, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As of today TG is abandoning DMK according to this article from the Bangkok Post published on Dec 24.
Old Jan 15, 17, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
How long do people think it will take to get from the Sukhumvit Bangkok, area to the airport on a Tuesday morning?

My flight leaves at 8:15am tomorrow. I'd assume we'll board around 7:45, and I should be at the airport around 6:30am for check-in (I'm flying JL and have oneworld status to use F/priority check-in).

From that I'd think 5:45am would be the time to leave. Does that sound right?
Yes, should be fine.

Today is a semi-holiday, back to normal tomorrow. Looks like a possibility of rain/showers but shouldn't be a major problem.
Old Jan 17, 17, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by tide View Post
DMK certainly has a Diplomat/ABTC (APEC Business Traveler) line for inbound immigration. I used it as recently as last month using my ABTC
It does, but there is no Priority/Fast-Track Lane unfortunately.

DMK remains the one place (immigration to be precise) where I have had to pull a DYKWIA!

M
Old Jan 18, 17, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by transpac View Post
Yes, should be fine.

Today is a semi-holiday, back to normal tomorrow. Looks like a possibility of rain/showers but shouldn't be a major problem.
I left my hotel around 5:45am. The hotel couldn't find a cab that would use a meter, driver wanted 400 Baht.
Another guy was leaving for the airport at the same time, so we just shared, 200 each
Took maybe 30 min to get from Doubletree hotel to BKK.

I had plenty of time at the airport, relaxed in the lounge for a bit before my flight.

Search this Thread