Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Reply

Old Sep 13, 16, 7:44 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,532
Well, I asked generically to try and keep the spirit of this informational thread going.

Might as well ask my specific question.
I will be flying from Mandalay to Phnom Pehn via DMK on Air Asia. I will not have a checked bag. Can I transit in Bangkok or do I have to go landside and through immigration? If I already checked in online and printed my boarding pass then can I bypass the giant check-in lines at DMK and go straight to security/immigration?

I've only used DMK as a transit point once, and that was years ago. Like OP, I usually just use the airport for cheap domestic flights.
CrazyInteg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 16, 8:14 am
  #47  
formerly known as seanthepilot
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Rugao, Jiangsu, China: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, SPG/Marriott_Plat; Accor_Plat
Posts: 6,915
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg View Post
.
I will be flying from Mandalay to Phnom Pehn via DMK on Air Asia. I will not have a checked bag. Can I transit in Bangkok or do I have to go landside and through immigration? If I already checked in online and printed my boarding pass then can I bypass the giant check-in lines at DMK and go straight to security/immigration?
I see Air Asia customers getting those in-transit stickers (to afix to their shirts) often and upon deplaning there is often staff members gathering those customers up. I would assume that this is to lead pax to their departure gate.

Air Asia does interline on some city pairs. I'm not sure if this service is limited to those customers, or to anyone transiting.

Perhaps you can report back on your experience!
2lovelife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 16, 11:17 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Northern California
Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Posts: 2,895
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
I see Air Asia customers getting those in-transit stickers (to afix to their shirts) often and upon deplaning there is often staff members gathering those customers up. I would assume that this is to lead pax to their departure gate.

Air Asia does interline on some city pairs. I'm not sure if this service is limited to those customers, or to anyone transiting.

Perhaps you can report back on your experience!
No, they take you to an internal immigration desk and security checkpoint, then spit you into departures.
braslvr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 16, 6:20 pm
  #49  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 63
How late are the stores in BKK open till? I will be there between midnight and 1am. I am mainly look for chocolate and maybe wine.

Last edited by Silent Orange; Sep 13, 16 at 6:26 pm
Silent Orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 16, 9:50 pm
  #50  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 11,430
AirAsia FlyThru

AirAsia Connecting Flights

Note the three different tabs: International to International, International to Domestic and Domestic to Domestic.

The DMK map on the link shows the process.

Last edited by transpac; Sep 14, 16 at 12:00 am
transpac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 16, 8:12 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 1,532
Originally Posted by 2lovelife View Post
Perhaps you can report back on your experience!
Changed my plan, sorry. No longer transiting.
CrazyInteg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 16, 3:13 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NYC, MD, LA
Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
Posts: 448
BKK hotel recommendation

Can anyone recommend a hotel close to BKK. I have a party of 6 travelling and will only need one night as we fly from Koh Samui to BKK and then the next morning will fly home - ICN - JFK.

So we are looking for something nice, close - preferably with a shuttle service.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
QDDawg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 16, 7:06 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ATL
Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Posts: 8,722
I've stayed at the Novetel a couple times. It's literally across the street from the airport. http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-6183...rt/index.shtml
CJKatl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 16, 5:55 am
  #54  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by Silent Orange View Post
How late are the stores in BKK open till? I will be there between midnight and 1am. I am mainly look for chocolate and maybe wine.
Bump, still hoping to get some answers from experts here.
Silent Orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 16, 7:25 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,163
Originally Posted by Silent Orange View Post
Bump, still hoping to get some answers from experts here.
If you are referring to shops airside before a departure, you will have no problems finding them open. There are a lot of departures at that time of night, including a whole bank of flights to Europe that go out about midnight.
goodeats21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 16, 11:12 am
  #56  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 63
Ok, yes I am referring to airside gift shops. Thank you!
Silent Orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 16, 2:33 pm
  #57  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 63
How about those shops at like... 1-2am? My flight isn't until 2am.
Silent Orange is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 16, 8:33 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,844
Originally Posted by Silent Orange View Post
How about those shops at like... 1-2am? My flight isn't until 2am.
They are open 24 hours a day.
ft101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 16, 11:22 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Udon Thani, Thailand
Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Posts: 784
But chocolates and wine are way overpriced at BKK

To QDDawg, I like the Novotel at BKK, but it is an expensive place.
Check booking.com, a plethora of 1/2k hotels hotels nearby with free minibus transportation (5 to 10 minutes drive)
I tried a few of them, never the same, could not recommend one above the others.

Last edited by tartempion; Sep 26, 16 at 11:27 pm
tartempion is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 16, 1:59 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,069
Originally Posted by Silent Orange View Post
How about those shops at like... 1-2am? My flight isn't until 2am.
Do your shopping elsewhere. Everything is ridiculously priced at BKK airport, much more than downtown BKK.
SK AAR is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread