Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Be aware that the basement money changers (as stated earlier, you must go to the former Rail Express area - there are other money changers where the elevators/escalators are that are not a good deal) close by midnight.

Some close as early as 10pm. Some 11:30pm. Happy Rich (yellow) closes at midnight. To be expected as the last train out is just a little after midnight
Old May 29, 2016, 2:22 pm

If you are in a rush to catch the train at BKK, there are also money changers (xxx Rich), telephone/data SIM vendors at the connecting walkway between SARL and the BTS @ Phaya Thai (the terminus of SARL). They close around 9-10pm
Old May 29, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by tide
If you are in a rush to catch the train at BKK, there are also money changers (xxx Rich), telephone/data SIM vendors at the connecting walkway between SARL and the BTS @ Phaya Thai (the terminus of SARL). They close around 9-10pm
All secondary branches offer lesser rates. Just something to keep in mind.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
More posts from the OP isn't the determining factor in a thread.

I've been back. But, the material others have posted is far more interesting than my contributions may have been. It's a busy time of year for me. And, I'm not on FT daily. More stuff coming, when time allows.

I think it's a good place for the info. I don't think I've ever been to an FT wiki.
Ok then, let's get discussing.

I've never been across the bridge at DMK. Is there anything noteworthy to try over there? I see there's an American style bar at the Amari.

Any advice for taking a train to/from DMK?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
The SRT train station at Don Muang gets you to Hua Lamphong Bangkok main station. From there, you can connect to the MRT.

Comes at least once every hour; more frequently at peak times. Schedules at railway.co.th
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by tide
The SRT train station at Don Muang gets you to Hua Lamphong Bangkok main station. From there, you can connect to the MRT.

Comes at least once every hour; more frequently at peak times. Schedules at railway.co.th
I was looking for more "insider information" type of advice. Like, great place to eat all the way down on the left, never sit in this area, is there a woman only car, you can ride free if you follow this one simple trick, train conductors hate him for this, if you get off at this one station the fee is much lower and it's quicker to the Ferrari dealership at Paragon, etc.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:28 pm

I was looking for more "insider information" type of advice.
Only tip I have is to get off at SRT Bang Sue station (3-4 stops from Don Muang, depending on train) to connect to MRT. MRT station (also named Bang Sue) entrance just across from SRT station.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My advice would be to not take the SRT train, unless you are trying to catch an outbound train.

What is your destination?

If you are heading into town various trains from the central, north and northeast stop at the Don Muang SRT rail station. More in the AM as these are overnight trains which departed from their starting points. Roughly every hour or so. Fares range from a high of 21 baht (first class, where available) down to 5 baht for third class. The trip might take upwards of 1 hour as these trains have to cross many surface crossings in Bangkok.

As mentioned, all these trains will also stop at the SRT station at Bang Sue, where you can walk to the MRT (subway) terminus.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
is there a woman only car, you can ride free if you follow this one simple trick
Must be thinking of Manila and their rail or whatever it is they have (I paid the fare, but left when I saw how crowded it was).

Free Public transport in Thailand is so cheap even I don't bother trying to use it for free. And I've walked for miles in Manila so I would not have to pay for Jeepney. Come to think of it, even walked in Bangkok to save 20 Baht
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure why you'd consider taking the train when the A1 bus to/from Mo Chit BTS/MRT runs every 20 min or so.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Not sure why you'd consider taking the train when the A1 bus to/from Mo Chit BTS/MRT runs every 20 min or so.
I wouldn't. Just trying to keep the thread going.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:39 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Food Options Airside Domestic DMK

While I agree getting to DMK is more of a hassle, without a rail link, the thick traffic, and the higher tollway charge, once you're checked in, there are lots of food options to choose from.

Here's a photo array of most of them...

ALL THE PHOTOS ARE FROM BEHIND SECURITY, DOMESTIC DMK

7-11, where as promised the government forced 10THB water (although you have to look for it)

Nuanraya

Thai Airway's Puff & Pie

Muan Chon

Bread Talk

Retail Shopping

Starbucks

The Coffee Club

Subway & Krispy Kreme

McDonald's

Mr Cup, retail, Naraya

KFC

1 of 2 Burger King s

Thai Express, Bill Bentley

There are a few more, with some stands recently opening deep in the 50 gates.

Anyway, just an FYI post...

Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Could someone please explain where the Magic Food Court is at BKK? Wanted to go to it last week but couldn't be bothered searching as we were pretty hungry!

Thanks

Edit:

Found this link:

http://www.wayfaringrambler.com/2012...ional-airport/

Doesn't say which "end" it is though. Is it under the domestic end or the other end?
Thanks
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by manymany
Doesn't say which "end" it is though. Is it under the domestic end or the other end?
Originally Posted by wayfaringrambler.com
Getting There:

Magic Food Point, Suvarnabhumi International Airport’s food court, offers the cheapest and arguably the best food in the airport. It’s where I spent the last of my baht after buying souvenirs and over the course of 3 hours crammed three good sized meals in, before I embarked on a 6 hour flight to Narita. The food court is in level 1 of the airport where you catch legitimate metered taxis. If you are exiting the baggage claim on the arrival level, take the ramp or escalator down one floor and the food court is in the corner at the end of the hall.
Yes, that's it. It's right by shuttles / buses, and I've gone to it pretty much straight down after exiting customs.

Yes, food was good, though only ate there once.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manymany
Could someone please explain where the Magic Food Court is at BKK? Wanted to go to it last week but couldn't be bothered searching as we were pretty hungry!

Thanks

Edit:

Found this link:

http://www.wayfaringrambler.com/2012...ional-airport/

Thanks
Door 7, Floor 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.