Wiki Posts
Search

Unofficial Bangkok (BKK & DMK) Airport thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by transpac
I was thinking more of the nice, comfy hotels in nearby Lat Krabang, which are on the order of 1,000 - 1,500 THB with free airport transport.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks. I'll have to look into it.

You're not going to be able to remain "airside", you'll have to clear Arriving Immigration, get your bags, then clear Customs.
I don't think I implied otherwise, but sorry for any misunderstanding. With the golf-carts and expedited service, I previously mentioned that I don't anticipate this eating up too much time.

There is but one terminal, albeit with a domestic "wing and half-ish" and bus-gates.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

Then you will be landside until whenever. After domestic check-in, clearing security you will be in the domestic airside space. Can't see that happening much before 04:00-ish?

If your fiancee wants to remain up for 24 hours and trundle around the airport - there is a food court (for locals) and some food options on level 3/landside, and some hard plastic chairs for her comfort - then go for it.
A landside food court with local food sounds perfect, thanks for the tip. Again, I expect we'll catch enough sleep on the ride to Thailand (IAD-NRT-BKK), so wandering around on our feet will be a good way to work off some jetlag energy.

Yes, it looks like there is a 06:00 departure, it had already left today when I looked so missed that one, PG 103. That seems to qualify as a "day flight" so not sure if that's acceptable?
Beats the hell out of me, this is the first I'm hearing of it. I've just been instructed that early morning departures and red-eyes are preferred, so that's what I'm rolling with. I appreciate all the help transpac, it would be great if check-in did indeed open at 04:00.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
As far as I'm aware, PG's counter opens at 5AM as does domestic security.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by dsquared37
As far as I'm aware, PG's counter opens at 5AM as does domestic security.
Thanks for the information dqsuared37. The additional hour is a point in favor of going to Lat Krabang for a while.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:01 am

BKK handled 59 million passengers in 2017.
"Handled" and "Capacity" are two completely separate things, which also does not make sense to me.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
I was thinking more of the nice, comfy hotels in nearby Lat Krabang, which are on the order of 1,000 - 1,500 THB with free airport transport.

You're not going to be able to remain "airside", you'll have to clear Arriving Immigration, get your bags, then clear Customs.

There is but one terminal, albeit with a domestic "wing and half-ish" and bus-gates.

Then you will be landside until whenever. After domestic check-in, clearing security you will be in the domestic airside space. Can't see that happening much before 04:00-ish?

If your fiancee wants to remain up for 24 hours and trundle around the airport - there is a food court (for locals) and some food options on level 3/landside, and some hard plastic chairs for her comfort - then go for it.

Yes, it looks like there is a 06:00 departure, it had already left today when I looked so missed that one, PG 103. That seems to qualify as a "day flight" so not sure if that's acceptable?
Transpac-Do you have any recommendations for those nice comfy hotels with shuttle?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
"Handled" and "Capacity" are two completely separate things, which also does not make sense to me.
Correct, and I didn't mean to imply anything other than that. My only point was that 59 million was 14 million over current capacity, and 65 million, when completed in several years, may well be below the actual "handled" figure"? A third runway, not sure if that is in phase 2, 2.5 or 3, would probably help with "capacity"? DMK is limited owing to the runway configuration - too close together for simultaneous ops, and the crossing issue, but clearly, UTP has some upside potential, especially for those tourists headed for the eastern seaboard.

Based on the local customs - reading the press stories, my best guess is that "handled" is some actual measure of real passengers transiting SBIA/BKK, while "capacity" is some theoretical figure based on take-off/landing capability and average load.

Originally Posted by odie11
Transpac-Do you have any recommendations for those nice comfy hotels with shuttle?
I do not, but there have been quite a few first-hand recommendations here on FT over the years. More recently I had a colleague who stayed here

at-residence

and he said it was pretty decent. I think I recommended it to him based on a post I saw here on FT.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:06 am

Based on the local customs - reading the press stories, my best guess is that "handled" is some actual measure of real passengers transiting SBIA/BKK, while "capacity" is some theoretical figure based on take-off/landing capability and average load.
Yeah, I did some Googling, and capacity seems to be just that. Those A380s might be throwing off the numbers a bit.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:51 pm

Flying CNX>BKK>SGN December 24. 2018

December 24
Does Bangkok air check luggage through to SGN on Vietnam air?

Two choices:
CNX>BKK Bangkok air 6:50 am — 8:15 am
BKK>SGN Vietnam air 11:20 am — 1:05 pm

Enough time?
Thanks
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eeraby
December 24
Does Bangkok air check luggage through to SGN on Vietnam air?

Two choices:
CNX>BKK Bangkok air 6:50 am — 8:15 am
BKK>SGN Vietnam air 11:20 am — 1:05 pm

Enough time?
Thanks
PG does not interline bags on separate tix unless both carry PG flight numbers, native metal and code shares included. In other words, it isn't going to happen on this itin. However you have plenty of time to collect your bags and deal with check in and immigration in BKK if you're married to these flights.

And welcome to FT eeraby.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:12 pm

Thanks, dsquared37!
Flight's on Dec 24th
I'm trying to land in BKK at 1:30 (only other landing is at dark - 5:30 PM). Headed straight to My Tho and would like to get there at a reasonable time.
So, if you're certain (barring acts of nature, mechanical issues, etc.) that Bangkok air will get me there in time and 3 hours is plenty of time to get bags and get onto Vietnam air at 11:20, then I'm booking. There's a 2:00 to SGN if I miss it, right?

Thanks so much for the info. I've not been able to find anything anywhere else.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eeraby
So, if you're certain (barring acts of nature, mechanical issues, etc.) that Bangkok air will get me there in time and 3 hours is plenty of time to get bags and get onto Vietnam air at 11:20, then I'm booking. There's a 2:00 to SGN if I miss it, right?
You are on 2 separate tickets and VN is under no obligation to allow you onto the later flight. Under most circumstances the three hour window is sufficient but nothing is certain and should PG ops go pear shaped you could be in for a world of hurt. You need to mitigate the risk against the last minute costs should things go awry against the time wasted by giving a longer layover or arriving in Bangkok the night before. Only you can assess the risk you're willing to handle.

In most cases this itin is fine, certainty is not in the equation.
eeraby likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Bangkok Airways (PG) has a code-share agreement with Vietnam Airlines (VN) for their three daily BKK-SGN flights? So, in theory, you may be able to book one single ticket - that 11:20 departure is also PG 4291, for CNX-(BKK)-SGN, and avail yourself of departing imm.at CNX, through check-in luggage, and mid-field procedures at BKK, and some "protection"? Otherwise, three hours would normally be sufficient, to retrieve bags, check-in, clear departing imm. at BKK.

Last edited by transpac; Oct 11, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:05 am

TRANSPAC
It's very ODD.

I can see the PG/VN fights together on several search engines with either a "operated by" VN or PG but when I go to book it at either airline site, it says the other airline's flight doesn't exist.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:06 am

Yes, I thought so, too as I can see the PG/VN fights together on several search engines with either a "operated by" VN or PG but when I go to book it at either airline site, it says the other airline's flight doesn't exist.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's very ODD.

Yes. I can only see bookings - 4 seats available - through 30 Nov. Perhaps the code-share agreement will end then, or PG only allows bookings through some fixed period. I can do a multi-city booking for CNX-BKK/BKK-SGN on the PG website through 30 Nov.

If you are currently in Chiang Mai check with a travel agent or maybe even the ATO at CNX, they can sort it out for you. Otherwise maybe contact Bangkok Airways, or book the separate tickets on PG and VN - as stated three hours should be sufficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.