Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Connection time in BKK (Domestic to International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time in BKK (Domestic to International)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know what's actually going on?!

This policy change was implemented on/about 27 March 2016. Some say it is related to security issues, and pending ICAO/FAA "concerns".

Some (on Thai social media) are reporting that when pressed PG will waive change fees for those who might be impacted (not sure if they will open up sold-out, lower-priced inventory?).

Interlining is still possible on a singe ticket, with interline partners.

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/separate_ticket
Old May 21, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I'm a bit late but here goes....

Originally Posted by haarpquake
I double checked my connection and its actually 12:40 not 12:20 (giving me a 140 minutes from arrival to departure times). Our travel date for these segments is just under 2 weeks from now. So we'd most likely have time to connect if I pony up for the fast track pickup service. We'd maybe have time without it barring weather or crowd delays. Or we could fly out from USM at 7:45 and have time to connect + a more leisurely time in the airport, including lounge visits. I think given that our next flight is 12 hours long, it would be nice to have more time to walk around prior. Any more thoughts?

For what its worth, the dollar figures are $123 USD total to change both flights to be earlier, which includes fare difference and service charge. According to my interpretation of https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html, the booking fast track and golf cart service for two people would total $165 USD based on today's THB to USD exchange rate.

Thanks y'all for the comments so far. So many details to tidy up before next week haha!
And what do you do if your USM-BKK flight is late?

I'd change the flight to the earlier one and and lessen the chance of a hassle. The possibility that LX doesn't give Fast Track passes for a J ticket is somewhere between slim and none.

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I find it rather annoying that PG will no longer interline luggage at BKK, considering how much money they charge for their domestic USM-BKK route, compared to say KBV-BKK. After all, they do not consider themselves a LCC like AirAsia.
There is competition for KBV while PG owns USM airport.

Originally Posted by transpac

This policy change was implemented on/about 27 March 2016. Some say it is related to security issues, and pending ICAO/FAA "concerns".

Some (on Thai social media) are reporting that when pressed PG will waive change fees for those who might be impacted (not sure if they will open up sold-out, lower-priced inventory?).

http://www.bangkokair.com/pages/view/check-in-through

The policy also suggests it's possible on two tickets when one of the flights is a codeshare. How often that will be applicable is close to nil.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Sixt Plat, Avis Prez Club, Hertz Prez Circ, Nat'l EE
Any data on how often this USM-BKK route is on time or delayed? Due to the frequency and duration of this route, I'm not worried. Should I be?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by transpac

Never mind the luggage... I was just travelling hand baggage only on two separate tickets PG from HKT connecting to QR at BKK. The PG agents at HKT were ever so polite, but they definitely would not let me CIQ/pass through immigration at HKT, even though I had all my boarding passes printed out and ready to go... All I needed was the CIQ sticker!

No great problem for me - but it was just a detour at Suvarnabhumi and a waste of a premium lane voucher coming back through security. But, as is usual with PG, the flight was pretty delayed and remote stand at BKK, so I wouldn't have liked to have had a tight connection...

Incidentally, I think this is from another thread, but the CX lounge opening times on both the CX and oneworld webpages? Completely fictitious... They open when there's a CX flight. If the schedule changes or the flight is cancelled, it's closed. The JL lounge is perfectly acceptable though...
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
There is clearly something in the air about not accepting separately ticketed baggage any more if Oneworld aren't doing it either
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind the luggage... I was just travelling hand baggage only on two separate tickets PG from HKT connecting to QR at BKK. The PG agents at HKT were ever so polite, but they definitely would not let me CIQ/pass through immigration at HKT, even though I had all my boarding passes printed out and ready to go... All I needed was the CIQ sticker!

I infer that the new PG policy applies to people (with or without checked bags) no longer being able to be checked through BKK on separate tickets?

Or this could be a separate QR-related policy issue?

new policy: (doesn't appear to differentiate between people with luggage or without luggage?)

Bangkok Airways passengers having onward journey to international destinations with participating carriers can choose to check through their baggage to final destination, issue boarding pass, complete Customs and Immigration Quarantine (CIQ) at Samui (USM), Phuket (HKT), Krabi (KBV), Chiang Mai (CNX) ,Chiang Rai (CEI) and Trat (TDX).

Restrictions:

- Passengers required to remain in the transfer area at Suvarnabhumi Airport.
- Separated Ticket which was issued by all airlines, can not be checked through.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I have an alternate on this query. I'm trying to book a multi-city itinerary but on bangkok air's website the specific flights don't show up since the results are already pre-populated flight combinations and I can't choose a specific time.

I want to book: PNH-BKK-USM (this routes through BKK since there are no direct flights), and USM-BKK. Booked separately as two one-ways, these are much more expensive than multi-city (but multi-city doesn't display all flights)

My solution is to book PNH-BKK as one ticket, and BKK-USM-BKK as another it prices much lower.

Do you think I can check in for the BKK-USM flight at PNH itself and have baggage through checked? I will have 90 mins to connect at BKK.

Thanks so much everyone!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by geniza151
I want to book: PNH-BKK-USM (this routes through BKK since there are no direct flights), and USM-BKK. Booked separately as two one-ways, these are much more expensive than multi-city (but multi-city doesn't display all flights)

My solution is to book PNH-BKK as one ticket, and BKK-USM-BKK as another it prices much lower.

Do you think I can check in for the BKK-USM flight at PNH itself and have baggage through checked? I will have 90 mins to connect at BKK.
Yes, you should be able to do this.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an alternate on this query. I'm trying to book a multi-city itinerary but on bangkok air's website the specific flights don't show up since the results are already pre-populated flight combinations and I can't choose a specific time.

Thanks so much everyone!
As I read the new policy, I would say yes.

When passenger travel with two separate tickets, Bangkok Airways will no longer through-check bags to the end destinations on the secondary separate ticket, through-check bags will only be done when the secondary separate ticket is to travel on the following criteria:
• Bangkok Airways’ operating flights (PGXXX) 3 digits

• Bangkok Airways’ codeshare marketing flights (PGXXXX) 4 digits
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks so much everyone!
I've had luck calling to book multi-city flights when the website's limitations don't give what is desired, but quite often PG does indeed price dom-int or int-dom connections more expensively than purchasing separately.

As for baggage, according to PG's recently released regs you should have no problem through checking bags so long as both tickets are PG.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:12 am

Thank you both! I actually ended up just booking the multi-city itinerary on their website (which priced the cheapest of all combinations - when I called their reservation center in Bangkok they quoted me a higher price and said that tickets purchased outside of Thailand are priced differently) and then emailing them to change one flight, which they did without charge. Most of their fares - except the deep discount web fares - allow for flight changes with no payment. So essentially everything is on one reservation.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you both! I actually ended up just booking the multi-city itinerary on their website (which priced the cheapest of all combinations - when I called their reservation center in Bangkok they quoted me a higher price and said that tickets purchased outside of Thailand are priced differently) and then emailing them to change one flight, which they did without charge. Most of their fares - except the deep discount web fares - allow for flight changes with no payment. So essentially everything is on one reservation.

This is unequivocally inaccurate.

While it depends upon departure point among other things, a fee-free change can demand as high as an M fare (in the case of BKK-PNH r/t- only a K fare for a PNH-BKK r/t).

Similarly not all fares are constructed equally. An H fare exPNH comes with a $15 change fee while an H fare exBKK carries a 1000THB penalty.

Rules BKK-VTE are similar to BKK-PNH but a r/t starting in VTE gives fee-free changes with an H fare.

Also, for INT tix, all segments carry the most restrictive segment fare rules.

NB: I cannot speak to other routings but I'd guess this is reasonably representative as BKK-BOM r/t v.v. is roughly similar as above (and with a no-show fee which I haven't seen on other rules).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Taking an earlier flight on PG

Thank you both! I actually ended up just booking the multi-city itinerary on their website (which priced the cheapest of all combinations - when I called their reservation center in Bangkok they quoted me a higher price and said that tickets purchased outside of Thailand are priced differently) and then emailing them to change one flight, which they did without charge. Most of their fares - except the deep discount web fares - allow for flight changes with no payment.
I learnt recently that PG will not allow pax to standby for an earlier flight for free on discount coach tix. I arrived at USM 2 1/2 hours early and asked to take an earlier flight USM-BKK, if space available. Flights to BKK are basically hourly. I had a discount coach tix. I was told I would need to pay 2,750 THB to take an earlier flight (one way). I was annoyed, since of course UA allows me to stand-by for earlier flights free.

I just ate their sandwiches, drank their orange juice and used their Wi-Fi for the 2 hours. Flights were not full.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This is unequivocally inaccurate.
http://www.bangkokair.com/eng/pages/...king_condition

Look at the change section. That is what I was referring to/meant. In my case they didn't ask for any fee. I was able to change flights with no change fee (and no fare difference).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.bangkokair.com/eng/pages/...king_condition

Look at the change section. That is what I was referring to/meant. In my case they didn't ask for any fee. I was able to change flights with no change fee (and no fare difference).
The change without fee (all tickets) kicks in for Web Freedom which is full fare Y.

The level below this, Web Saver, starts at K.

The fare listings are: (Y), (M, K), (N, T, L, H, Q, V, G, B).*

So, revisiting the original statement:

Most of their fares - except the deep discount web fares - allow for flight changes with no payment.
Is not at all correct.

I'm curious what your ticketed fare class was.

* I grouped these as (Web Freedom), (Saver), (Promotion)

NB: V, G, and B are the promotional fares. Regular fares begin at Q. Full point earnings begin at H.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.