Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Nok Air versus AirAsia

Nok Air versus AirAsia

Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by monahos
As for Bangkok Airways, sure, BKK is nicer and easier to access by public transportation than DMK, but their monopoly pricing to destinations such as LPQ and USM get them no sympathy vote from me!
No longer the case for either of these destinations I believe.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
When it come down to it, price should be your determining factor for domestic Thailand flights. If prices are similar, I will NOT choose Nok Air. But, they are a good airline. They use old Thai Airways 737s with lots of leg room.

Nok has fewer flights per day, usually no evening/night flights. At one time they had 11 aircraft. I'm guessing they don't have many more than that now.

Air Asia has broader flight times, more aircraft, and often greater frequency in flights. I think price is the relative factor.
Nok has expanded their aircraft number and flights immensely and, as pointed out, no longer utilize those old 734s. While I can't speak for all destinations Nok has a robust schedule to many domestic airports.

Originally Posted by ft101
No longer the case for either of these destinations I believe.
Domestically speaking USM is reachable by FD and DD only through a plane/bus/ferry routing which is only rational if you have time to spend half a day traveling. There are a few international routes these days but PG still maintains high prices... at least in the sporadic searches I've done.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Domestically speaking USM is reachable by FD and DD only through a plane/bus/ferry routing which is only rational if you have time to spend half a day traveling. There are a few international routes these days but PG still maintains high prices... at least in the sporadic searches I've done.
Yeah, "USM" for FD and DD is really "Ferry pier on KS after flying into NST or URT and taking a bus and ferry".

There is an LCC flying into USM... the irony being it's FY from Penang or Kuala Lumpur, not a Thai carrier...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nok Air has had four incidents, perhaps just routine but "clusters" may be telling, in the past few weeks.

LPG, door
PHR, door
NST, windshield
HDY, door

Not sure if these are the only incidents, but I do remember reading about these four.

The on-going issues with the CAD and ICAO may also be of concern?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I gues folks should take the train then, right? Probably a lot safer.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:05 am

Only if you go full Kevlar & helmet like a Moto Grand Prix racer.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I gues folks should take the train then, right? Probably a lot safer.
I'm not sure if the SRT has service to CEI or USM? Maybe the Royal Thai Navy will provide service to USM once they get their submarines?

Of the 50 injured in last weeks train collision near Ayutthaya, none have died, yet.

Most train deaths here are outright murders (on the train, no, not the Orient Express), or those killed at unmarked train crossings, although the odd inebriated foreigner does fall off while smoking between carriages.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Yes, but with TG going there from BKK, it's no longer a monopoly as was claimed up thread.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:14 pm

Yes, but with TG going there from BKK, it's no longer a monopoly as was claimed up thread.
PG owns the USM airport and makes sure TG cannot offer competitive fares by charging them outrageous landing fees. Have you ever priced TG's fares on this route? They are without fail higher than PG's already way overpriced ones.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TG has been flying there for years and their token two slots are more than likely due to the gov telling PG to allow it. Nothing more nothing less.

It's still a monopoly and priced as such. And the only reason TG still has 734s in their arsenal.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whomever you fly do stay away from OX.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_19938958.htm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by monahos
PG owns the USM airport and makes sure TG cannot offer competitive fares by charging them outrageous landing fees. Have you ever priced TG's fares on this route? They are without fail higher than PG's already way overpriced ones.
Yes, quite agree. Just pointing out for those not familiar with the route that TG is an (unattractive) option.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, quite agree. Just pointing out for those not familiar with the route that TG is an (unattractive) option.
domestic flights BKK-USM (v.v.):

PG 16
TG 2

Domestic flights HKT-USM (v.v.):

PG 4

Domestic flight CNX-USM (v.v.):

PG 1

I dare say TG doesn't have much to offer when it comes to getting to USM.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
I'm not sure if the SRT has service to CEI or USM? Maybe the Royal Thai Navy will provide service to USM once they get their submarines?

Of the 50 injured in last weeks train collision near Ayutthaya, none have died, yet.

Most train deaths here are outright murders (on the train, no, not the Orient Express), or those killed at unmarked train crossings, although the odd inebriated foreigner does fall off while smoking between carriages.
Trains don't travel fast enough in Thailand .....the ave speed due to the predominately single track 4000km network is around 45-55kp/h.

Murders on trains are very, very rare given the presence of Railway police.

297 people and just under 1000 injured have been killed in railway crossing accidents in the last 6 years!

According to the SRT, there have been 887 accidents at the nearly 2000 official crossings in that time. All but a few deaths were in motor vehicles and almost always whilst attempting to beat the train or due to not looking or due to using one of the 562 unauthorised (ie. locally made) crossings.

This year already there have been about a dozen killed at crossing accidents.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Mod note

Please, let's stay on topic. This discussion is about Nok vs AirAsia and/or travel CEI<>BKK...

Also, FYI, we now have a consolidated rail thread for discussions of rail safety, routes, booking, etc.: please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thail...g-bkk-arl.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.