Covid incarceration when traveling as a family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold

Curious to hear people's thoughts about what happens if/when a covid incarceration occurs when a family is traveling together.

For example, a husband/wife traveling together. One or both of them tests positive in the PCR on arrival or the 6-day follow-up, or a test required to board the plane to go home from Thailand. I'm imagining that the couple is separated as they're carted off for incarceration, and will not be allowed to be in hospital together.

There are a number of variations on the theme... children separated from parents; or what happens if one person in a couple tests positive and the other doesn't, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:49 pm

1. I would suggest that there should be no way for the "self test" (on day 6) to show "positive" :/
2. Test on leaving Thailand (such as required to re-enter US) should probably be done privately. If by any chance it shows "positive" - my plan would be to travel out to a country that *does not* require testing prior to entry, then re-test there and decide

I did read somewhere that COVID jail is individual (i.e. husband and wife would be held separately). Based on the twitter link in the other topic, seems like children are incarcerated with their parent (one of them, anyway).

P.S. Perhaps, to maintain neutrality, we should refer to it as an "involuntary confinement".
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by tr3k
2. Test on leaving Thailand (such as required to re-enter US) should probably be done privately. If by any chance it shows "positive" - my plan would be to travel out to a country that *does not* require testing prior to entry, then re-test there and decide
I wonder where you can do a PCR test "privately"...all those test facilities, who do the test and issue the according certificate have the obligation to provide details of postive tested persons to the authorities, also for infection tracking
That is not only in Thailand the case but also in many European countries I know...

I also wonder, where all the rumors are coming from, that everybody in Thailand who tests positive MUST go to hospital. My neighbor, who tested positive and had no symptoms did home isolation under the supervision of the authorities (by smartphone). But probably the majority of people in Thailand do not have a home, where they can isolate from others...
there are also hospitels (actually hotels providing this service), where people with mild symptoms can stay and isolate with very basic health care service at much lower prices than private hospitals
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by BinSabai
I wonder where you can do a PCR test "privately"...all those test facilities, who do the test and issue the according certificate have the obligation to provide details of postive tested persons to the authorities, also for infection tracking
That is not only in Thailand the case but also in many European countries I know...
I did not say "PCR". Antigen test, required to travel to the US, can be handled privately.

I also wonder, where all the rumors are coming from, that everybody in Thailand who tests positive MUST go to hospital. My neighbor, who tested positive and had no symptoms did home isolation under the supervision of the authorities (by smartphone). But probably the majority of people in Thailand do not have a home, where they can isolate from others...
there are also hospitels (actually hotels providing this service), where people with mild symptoms can stay and isolate with very basic health care service at much lower prices than private hospitals
The "rumors" come from personal experiences of people who were involuntarily placed in a hospital or other facility by whatever local "authority".

And here is non-rumor kind of information, FYI: https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/11/04/...ive-for-covid/
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:43 pm

Here is some more information: https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/Fro...cate-en-2.html
If the result is positive for COVID-19, it means that you can not travel as you planned.
If it’s positive, you will have to be admitted to Hospital for Tropical Diseases, other private or public hospital or hospitel (designated hotel) or stay at your place waiting for the assigned healthcare facilities. This will be based on the clinical judgement of the Hospital for Tropical Diseases.
So, locked up in one of the above facilities at the discretion of someone at the hospital. Hope that clarifies things :/

And this, earlier in the year: https://www.fox9.com/news/minnesota-...-covid-19-test
Old Nov 4, 2021, 8:54 pm

I did not say "PCR". Antigen test, required to travel to the US, can be handled privately.
lucky US guys, who can test themselves. That's not the case for other countries. That's why I did not talk about USA...

The "rumors" come from personal experiences of people who were involuntarily placed in a hospital or other facility by whatever local "authority".
And here is non-rumor kind of information, FYI: https://loyaltylobby.com/2021/11/04/...ive-for-covid/
I did not say, that there were not positive tested people brought to healthcare facility. of course there are a lot.
I was stating that NOT ALL positive tested people are brought to mentioned facilities giving the example of my neighbor

the quoted article is a bit a mix of facts and rumors; rumors in particular about passengers sitting close to a positive tested person...this is still completely unclear and based just on one case at the beginning of the sandbox and some rumors or guesses
if this was regularly done, there would be much more cases in the media
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:25 pm

if this was regularly done, there would be much more cases in the media
1. Not the (well controlled) Thai media. So - would be classified as rumors, I guess.
2. Any significant amount of travel only began 2 days ago. We need to wait a bit for the results.
Diplomatico and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:59 pm

1. Not the (well controlled) Thai media. So - would be classified as rumors, I guess.
2. Any significant amount of travel only began 2 days ago. We need to wait a bit for the results.
1. was not talking about the Thai media; even in Thailand there are media reporting rather critical about certain problems authorities are facing
2. There were alread tenthousands of people entering through ASQ and sandbox program and a couple of hundreds testing positive as well; but so far there was only one case of a person sitting beside a positive tested person put in hotel quarantine in the media...
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:33 am

Have there been any rumours of Thailand dropped hospital quarantine? I too have a family, but we'd love to travel to Thailand soon - however, the chance of hospital quarantine is stopping us from booking.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
I had heard that it is possible, in asymptomatic cases, to transfer to an ASQ (quarantine) hotel. This might just be tolerable if you can find (and afford) a place which has family size pool villas!

The current positivity rate on arrival is still, I believe, around 0.1%, so you'd have to be pretty unlucky to test positive on arrival.

I haven't heard anything lately about being required to quarantine if you were seated adjacent to someone who did test positive. I wonder if this is no longer a live issue. Does anyone have any info on this post November 1st?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
I had heard that it is possible, in asymptomatic cases, to transfer to an ASQ (quarantine) hotel. This might just be tolerable if you can find (and afford) a place which has family size pool villas!

The current positivity rate on arrival is still, I believe, around 0.1%, so you'd have to be pretty unlucky to test positive on arrival.

I haven't heard anything lately about being required to quarantine if you were seated adjacent to someone who did test positive. I wonder if this is no longer a live issue. Does anyone have any info on this post November 1st?
The only info I've seen was the news reports stating that if somebody tests positive within 2 rows of you and limiting that to just sitting next to...here is one example:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...d-travel-rules

However, I have yet (and I've searched a lot) to read or hear about anybody that has been quarantined based off the 2 row rule. The only known incident was the German lady (I think she was from Germany) that had that happen several months ago during the sandbox entry. The only other incident was the two friends that shared a ride from the airport that Richard Barrow has tweeted about. So, not sure they are enforcing it...or maybe it has flown way under the radar and nobody is reporting their experience? I'd be curious to know as well...my flight from NRT is starting to fill up, so my hope of moving to an open row after boarding is probably not an option and based on fare buckets left to sell, I'd be willing to bet that my flight will be very full.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:54 am

I doubt we'll hear much even if this is happening. Most travelers to Thailand are not on this (or any other) forum, naturally. Nor is it in the interest of Thai news to talk about it (and not important enough for the foreign media, with all the other stuff in the world that's going on).
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
The only info I've seen was the news reports stating that if somebody tests positive within 2 rows of you and limiting that to just sitting next to...here is one example:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...d-travel-rules

However, I have yet (and I've searched a lot) to read or hear about anybody that has been quarantined based off the 2 row rule. The only known incident was the German lady (I think she was from Germany) that had that happen several months ago during the sandbox entry. The only other incident was the two friends that shared a ride from the airport that Richard Barrow has tweeted about. So, not sure they are enforcing it...or maybe it has flown way under the radar and nobody is reporting their experience? I'd be curious to know as well...my flight from NRT is starting to fill up, so my hope of moving to an open row after boarding is probably not an option and based on fare buckets left to sell, I'd be willing to bet that my flight will be very full.
Correct. Barrow reported that it was reduced to seat directly beside you instead of rows...so greatly reduced number of possible people effected. The 2 row "rule" was at the beginning of the Phuket Sandbox scheme.

And moving to an open row after boarding is not officially permitted, and will make no difference. They will go by your assigned seat when making isolation decisions.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:14 pm

I doubt we'll hear much even if this is happening. Most travelers to Thailand are not on this (or any other) forum, naturally. Nor is it in the interest of Thai news to talk about it (and not important enough for the foreign media, with all the other stuff in the world that's going on).
I am in several FB groups with thousands of people discussing current travel to Thailand and with hundreds of reporting back their experience. I have not seen one report about someone been put into a hospital or quarantine, because he was sitting on the plane close or next to someone who tested positive
Old Nov 22, 2021, 6:53 pm

I am in several FB groups with thousands of people discussing current travel to Thailand and with hundreds of reporting back their experience. I have not seen one report about someone been put into a hospital or quarantine, because he was sitting on the plane close or next to someone who tested positive
Are you saying that the rule has been repealed? When did that happen and why was no one notified?
And if it has not - clearly there are dozens of people per day who are thus "tagged" and must quarantine.

So which is it? Thailand not following its own rules, or Thailand quietly changing the rules without telling anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.