Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:46 am

Two excellent Chinese tailor shops -- Ah Song very close to the Oriental Hotel and Burlington Tailors on Soi Ruam Rudee right behind the Conrad and Plaza Athinee Hotels. Excellent quality at both. Burlington more expensive.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:26 pm

The place in the Oriental did wonderful work...although it was quite expensive. Also, if staying there, it is wonderful just be able to walk down and be fitted. If your hotel has a tailor in it, I recommend using him (assuming that it appears to be a good tailor, of course).

The Oriental's place was Sartorial. It was an outbranch of another place (whose name I don't know).
Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Peninsula Hotel sent me to Premier on the second floor of the upscale shopping complex a block or so behind the Oriental Hotel. Good work and service. They also kept a record of all final measurements. This has allowed me to order more clothes, from home, that fit perfectly and arrive when promised.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by hartd
Nice article in this month's Conde Nast article includes Raja as well as his cousin's place (I think)
I get my suits/shirts made here and more than satisfied with the quality. Emailed him the other day about the article. Bobby was quite excited to hear this and asked if I wouldn't mind mailing the US edition to him.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:17 pm

Location: x-17 yr AC*SE100 1MM, now E50 Gold :(, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Yadayadayada
Thumbs up Raja's Fashions highly recommended...

Originally Posted by SFWanderer
I get my suits/shirts made here and more than satisfied with the quality. Emailed him the other day about the article. Bobby was quite excited to hear this and asked if I wouldn't mind mailing the US edition to him.
I had the same question as the first poster and cautiously tried Raja's :-: after reading other posts. ^ I have gone back 4-5 times since first trying Raja's last November! (last week being the most recent). After 4 suits, one navy blazer, and about 35-40 shirts I don't think I'll get clothes anywhere else! Bobby and his dad Raja will know your name after the first time you walk in - great customer service. Other staff is great as well (I have a hard time deciding on shirt fabric to match suits, but they provide great help). Prices are certainly not as cheap as other local tailors BUT it is great quality and it's a great deal compared to getting a tailored suit in CAD or USA. My problem now is... I can't go through BKK without going there and getting clothes.

Soi 4 across from the Nana Hotel. Good luck.

yvrdude
Old Nov 4, 2006, 4:42 pm

Don't mean to be contrarian, but after more than 30 years traveling to and living (12 years) in Bangkok, would never spend money with Indian tailors like Rajah and Raja or others along Sukhumvit or just inside the busier sois there, compared to Chinese shops. And I have met both Bobby and his father. They are very warm individuals and good businessmen, but my opinion is based on over 20 years of high quality and price at Chinese places like Ah Song or Burlington, a bit more off the beaten path.

Of course it helps to speak some Thai or Taechew with Chinese tailors, level of English much lower than the Indians like Raja and Rajah. Still not all that much a problem.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:52 am

How does Phuket tailoring compare to BKK? I know the Phuket guys all farm out the work. Is that how it is in BKK or is BKK more inhouse?

I didn't have time to get my stuff in BKK and without wanting to go home empty handed I bought 2 suits, 1 sports jacket, 4 shirts and they threw in 3 ties.

I got fitted 3 times and they met my deadline in 3 days. The tailor he uses for jackets came to the store all 3 times. I asked for only the best fabric they had. Super 120 wool was it, the ties silk, the shirts a blend, and the blazer was made in "Silk" fabric. He showed me the silk that fuzzes up, but then he showed me the better stuff and he scrunched up and said, "No Wrinkles No Fuzz."

BTW I tried Rajas near Khao San Road, but he couldn't meet my, "at that point in the trip," tight deadline.

My Phuket guy wanted more $, but I bargained down to $500 flat (which included the fee from the guy that brought me in from the street which he said, "2%," when I asked him outside the store walking to the ATM). It doesn't sound like a good BKK deal, but compared to home it was a steal. Are monograms on shirts extra or is that part of the price? I got monograms 'included' in the price. It seemed he wasn't used to doing monograms very often. How much did I overpay?
Old Nov 5, 2006, 2:58 am

500 dollars for all that i think is quite a decent deal, That works out to just under 20,000 baht for 2 suits, jacket and shirts and ties. Now all thats left is to see if the clothes are long lasting.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:37 am

Pointeater -- The Chinese tailors I mention do their work on site in upper floor(s) of their traditional shophouses. Can't speak for others like Raja's or Rajah's.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by sonoftheheartland
Don't mean to be contrarian, but after more than 30 years traveling to and living (12 years) in Bangkok, would never spend money with Indian tailors like Rajah and Raja or others along Sukhumvit or just inside the busier sois there, compared to Chinese shops.
This echoes the opinions shared by Thais whom I work with. Also the opinion of my tailor Maxcoco at OP Place (who's a 2nd generation Teochew tailor). Their collective opinion was that the Indian shops are just salesmen who farm the work out to Chinese tailors. Disclaimer: their opinion, not mine.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:08 am

Its apparent to me now that MOST tailors farm their work out. To Chinese or Thai tailors. The guy that owns the store I bought from basically told me that. He goes here for the jacket, here for the pants, here for the shirts, etc.

So what do most of these tailor shops have that the people that actually make the suits don't? Multilingual/English ability? Funds to open a store front? Both?

The guy I went to in Phuket was definitely middle eastern.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hartd
Nice article in this month's Conde Nast article includes Raja as well as his cousin's place (I think)
Indeed. Just read it the other day.

http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/...rticleId=10496
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Pointeater
Its apparent to me now that MOST tailors farm their work out. To Chinese or Thai tailors. The guy that owns the store I bought from basically told me that. He goes here for the jacket, here for the pants, here for the shirts, etc.

So what do most of these tailor shops have that the people that actually make the suits don't? Multilingual/English ability? Funds to open a store front? Both?

The guy I went to in Phuket was definitely middle eastern.
You're exactly right "Multilingual/English ability? Funds to open a store front? Both?" - basically both of that and some do a great job at being a tailor while others just basically try to get money from us foreigners and sell us the .Sh*ttiest suit we've ever purchased in our life and never see us again. I'm telling you, its true. Some of the sikh tailors are amazing, but some, are the worst you could possibly find.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by transpac
As one might say, "Not same, same. Different." The Raja's website you link to is for a shop on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 11. The Raja's shop referenced several times in this thread is on Sukhumvit Soi 4. Needless to say there are a lot of Raja's tailors in Bangkok.
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pretty much buy a business wardrobe while I'm over in Bangkok.

I've done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to either Rajawongse or Raja's (at Soi 4).

Does Raja's at Soi 4 have a website?

If anyone would be able to answer some of the questions below, I would really appreciate it!

Is there any substantial difference in price?

Will I be able to have everything (a few suits with extra pants, couple of sport coats, and a bunch of shirts/ties but I assume the suits and coats are the ones that will take longest?) done within a 7 days? 10 days?

Do they both mail items to Australia?

Thanks for all your help. All the information you guys provide for international travellers is really really helpful! Keep it up!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by rumblingtummy
Hey guys,

I'm looking to pretty much buy a business wardrobe while I'm over in Bangkok.

I've done quite a bit of research and have narrowed it down to either Rajawongse or Raja's (at Soi 4).

Does Raja's at Soi 4 have a website?

If anyone would be able to answer some of the questions below, I would really appreciate it!

Is there any substantial difference in price?

Will I be able to have everything (a few suits with extra pants, couple of sport coats, and a bunch of shirts/ties but I assume the suits and coats are the ones that will take longest?) done within a 7 days? 10 days?

Do they both mail items to Australia?

Thanks for all your help. All the information you guys provide for international travellers is really really helpful! Keep it up!

I can answer one of those - Rajawongse probably can do the job you describe in 7 days...that's about what it took for a similar order for my husband 2 years ago; but the most important thing is if you tell them what you need and when you need it, Jesse and Victor will be straight with you about whether they can do it or not. You might want to call before you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.