Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

I just had a suit and pair of trousers made at Tramps in OP Place behind The Oriental, where I had earlier had some shirts made. They have some very high quality wool fabrics. The suit was made very well, with excellent detailing. Service was very good. The shirts I had made earlier have worn very well.

I would strongly recommend Tramps, and will certainly go there next time I want to have some clothes made.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:08 pm

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by eutow
I am sure that this has been covered many times, but with the search function down...

Can anyone recommend a high quality tailor in Bangkok? I need to have some cotton shirts made, so the choice of cotton fabrics available is important. Somewhere near the Oriental would be ideal.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
As like most, I picked up some nice stuff for my consulting gig at Euro Boutique on Khao Sarn road for $15/shirts and $16/pants. Nice stuff and decent selection.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: NON ELITE
I had a bad experience

well...I am not as luck as the previous posters....had a bad tailor...I picked a thin wool fabric, was ready to be next day, fitted twice, still did not correct the problem (curly seams...uneven back and shouder...etc). I finally decided to forget about the whole thing. The suit was USD120, depost 50%, so I lost USD60....big deal. I then went to department store and bought the suits there. More expensive, but hey, I can see the final product before I decide if I want to buy it.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Anyone with recent experience with Jesse & Victor at Rajawongse? I am headed to LOS at the end of the month and am still on the fence about using Rajawongse or Mr. Bobby at Raja's
Old Mar 18, 2006, 2:06 pm

What about fashions for women?

See that Rajas (on Soi 4 and 11) is highly recommended here, but what tailors are best for women's clothes?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:15 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Has anyone tried Embassy Tailors or Pierre Boutique for men's clothing? These two have been recommended to me by the Four Seasons Hotel in BKK. Pierre Boutique also carry higher end textiles from the likes of Loro Piana, Zegna, and Dormeuil.

If any one has tried these two places I'd love to hear of your experiences.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 9:55 am

Good Topic!

There's also a good tailor shop in the Royal Orchid Sheraton. The name escapes me.

I'll be making a suit-run to SE Asia later this year. Not sure yet whether it will be SIN or BKK.

One point of advice: Most rack suits, including fancy designer ones are "glued". If you are ordering a custom suit in a hurry, it will more than likely be glued. If you want one to be completely hand-sewn, it's best to specify such in advance.

My grandfather [maternal side from Nicaragua] was a tailor, and owned a very nice sastrería in Managua. He made me my first handmade when I was 15. Took it right from a picture he saw in a magazine. Nothing beats a custom handmade, when it is properly cut and sewn. They last forever. I would advise most to get smart on the anatomy of a suit before visiting, so that when you meet with your selected tailor, you can dialog with him to your satisfaction.

As for fabrics, I prefer tropical worsted wool for most suits [make sure you have the pants lined if you choose this fabric]. I find TW fabric works great in both hot and cold climates. I also prefer my trousers cut with a 'West Point' break.

Don't forget tuxedos. A well made tuxedo should last a lifetime. I recommend a shawl collar, because the shawl collar is timeless and never goes out of style.

M8

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Mar 24, 2006 at 10:00 am
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I know this issue is of some interest.

I was in BKK recently, and had another suit made at Tramps. The tailoring and fabric quality are excellent (fabric was lightweight wool), and the service and attention-to-detail remain superb. The clothes I have bought here earlier continue to wear very well. He buys fabrics from Zegna and other top end names. He is also able to get Sea Island cotton for shirts, although it is very expensive. One of the key differentiators for me is the high quality of the fabrics, which I have not found at the (few) other tailors I have tried in BKK in the past. I haven't been disappointed yet!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:30 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by eutow
I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I know this issue is of some interest.

I was in BKK recently, and had another suit made at Tramps. The tailoring and fabric quality are excellent (fabric was lightweight wool), and the service and attention-to-detail remain superb. The clothes I have bought here earlier continue to wear very well. He buys fabrics from Zegna and other top end names. He is also able to get Sea Island cotton for shirts, although it is very expensive. One of the key differentiators for me is the high quality of the fabrics, which I have not found at the (few) other tailors I have tried in BKK in the past. I haven't been disappointed yet!
Can you compare the quality / value at Tramps to, say, Raja's and Rajawongse? I'm in the midst of having a suit, some pants and shirts made at Raja's, and am curious to hear about other places.

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited by Michael; Aug 17, 2006 at 3:27 am
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
Can you compare the quality / value at Tramps to, say, Raja's and Rajawongse? I'm in the midst of having a suit, some pants and shirts made at Raja's, and am curious to hear about other places.

Thanks,
Michael
Unfortunately not, since I have not had anything made at either of these. I have over the years tried other BKK tailors, and have always been disappointed with the fabrics available - I am fairly picky about this. I have also found that clothes made elsewhere were not as longlasting as those I have had made at Tramps. If you have the time, it might be worth going to Tramps and having one or two items made there so you can compare the quality.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: NW plat
My husband and I will be in Thailand in March and he would like to get a few new suits. We will be arriving BKK early AM on a Sunday (basically midnight Saturday). I would like him to get fitted and then we will leave for a beach vacation, destination unknown (suggestions always welcome) . We will be back in BKK Thursday and Friday nights (staying at the Dusit Thani Hotel) and leave early Sat. AM.

My questions:
1. Are tailor shops open Sunday?
2. Do you make an appointment?
3. We don't have a hotel for our early stay in BKK. If the tailors are available Sunday, I would like us to find a hotel for the hours until they open, have him fitted, and go to the beach. Any recommended hotels near Tramp's or Rajawongse? If they are closed Sunday, we would stay until Monday.
4. Would fittings Thursday and fittings/pick up Friday be reasonable timeline?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by tharris

My questions:
3. We don't have a hotel for our early stay in BKK. If the tailors are available Sunday, I would like us to find a hotel for the hours until they open, have him fitted, and go to the beach. Any recommended hotels near Tramp's or Rajawongse? If they are closed Sunday, we would stay until Monday.

Thanks.
Rajas is open on Sunday and I walked right in for my first appointment. We scheduled a fitting for the following day and then my third and fourth fittings were before I left Bangkok.

My recommendation would be go to straight to your tailor on Sunday morning - if you are having a large volume of things done (or anything that isn't a direct copy or a bit differen), I would recommend having your first fitting later that night or first thing on Monday morning.

If you did that, they would have all week to sew (and if you are having several like items done, they use the adjustments from the first as a pattern)... then go back on Thursday for your final fittings and they can make any adjustments and have items ready on Friday.

When I used Rajas for a large quantity of items in 2003, they actually packed my bag (I bought an extra roller for my purchased items) for me and brought it to the hotel for me after the final fitting with all the items neatly pressed and put together for shipping (and it all held up all the way back to Dallas).

Just a final note (and you didn't ask about Rajas but there are so many references to this upthread that I'm going to restate it anyway) - Mr. Bobby is NOT at Rajas. He has left - I still see references above to Mr. Bobby at Rajas (and its really more like Mr. Bobby formerly of Rajas - and Rajas still exists without him).
Old Aug 18, 2006, 4:08 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
A. song

Mr. Song Tailor, close to the Chao Praya area (sheraton royal Orchid, ShagriLa side) - Has done very well for me, several visits, excellent service/prices.
Do not go to Narry... got me 'good' my first time..

Can anyone tell me definitively - which/wear is RAJA's to go to??

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl
...Mr. Bobby is NOT at Rajas. He has left - I still see references above to Mr. Bobby at Rajas (and its really more like Mr. Bobby formerly of Rajas - and Rajas still exists without him).
As of when?

Mr Bobby was very definitely at Raja's Fashions (on Soi Nana) last fall. However, there are several tailor shops in Bangkok with 'Raja' in their name in some form or another.

I liked the tailoring and service that I got from Mr Bobby/Raja's Fashion, and both the prices and quality compared favorably to mid-level quality tailors in Hong Kong. However, as eutow suggests, the fabrics were ok, but not top quality. On my next trip this coming winter, I may well give Tramps a shot.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

My questions:
Answers For Tramps:

Yes
No, but if you are interested in Tramps I can give you the contact numbers, and you can let him know that you are coming in advance.
3. Any recommended hotels near Tramp's or Rajawongse? If they are closed Sunday, we would stay until Monday.
The Oriental is very nice, and is a 5 minute walk from Tramps. It is in Oriental Plaza, so any hotel in that vicinity should work (I don't know of any others, unfortunately).
Yes it should be. He can usually accomodate when there is a rush, and again, you might wish to contact him in advance to schedule this is you need to order a lot. On my recent trip, I only needed one suit, but I went first to be measured, choose fabrics, and discuss the design. I went back after about 24 hours for my first fitting, and the suit was ready 24 hours later.

I've noticed at Tramps that when I am there, many of the other customers that have come in are clearly regulars, and seem to be getting a lot made from him. He also seems to get a lot of orders from overseas for people whose patterns he has kept.

There are lots of nice beach resorts in Thailand, of course, but somewhere that I like near Bangkok is Hua Hin.

Have a great trip, and please let us know how you get on with the tailors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.