Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I arrive in Bangkok at 5 AM on the 3rd of August, and then later that day I am off to Koh Phangan, but will be returning to Bangkok on the August 17th for a few days, if I went and had the suit measured on the first day, I could pick it up on August 17th for adjustments, is that a viable option?
Much better idea ! That should work. You'll go back for adjustments on 8/17 & they should have it pretty well done the next day. I would leave 1 more day in case it's not perfect. wj
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:49 am

From their website ToT looked very interesting, then I read the fine print. They do not accept cards and expect a 50% down payment. Not the kind of money I go around with in my pocket. The step ATM surcharges in BKK doesn't exactly help.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I visited ToT back in early December while on a short trip, and I came away impressed with their work. As a newbie to custom tailoring, I felt like they explained the options and went over everything quite well. I picked out three different fabrics and had shirts made, and they are the best shirts I own now.

I will go back later this year; the only thing I'd do differently is to get the holes where the sleeves join the body of the shirt cut a bit larger (despite having sewn a bit, I forget what that hole is called) to better accommodate my everyday wear of the shirts. I may look at a suit or two then, too.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:53 pm

Anyone have recent experience with Monet il Sarto tailor in Bangkok?

Does anyone out there have recent experience using Monet il Sarto tailor in Bangkok? I may be traveling there soon and had several suits made there years ago. Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:17 am

A question about Raja's, do you barter in here or would you regard the prices as "set"?

Also, their site say they do not take credit cards, is this current info!?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:40 am

i will recommend you Crown tailor, as they offer high quality fabric and stitching according to your requirements. the texture they uses is so fine that it appeals you more and more
Old Apr 20, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by SocialAdept
A question about Raja's, do you barter in here or would you regard the prices as "set"?

The real Raja's Fashions, inside Soi 4 at the entrance of Nana Plaza, doesn't have a website. They do take credit cards but prefer cash. If you're looking for a longterm business relationship, you typically don't barter there. When picking out your choices, mention that you won't barter and they'll make you a fair price. Maybe bartering could save you another 5-10 percent but if you plan on returning, not bartering will ensure you'll get the same prices for years to come.

I started buying dress shirts for 1,000 baht per in 1997, and I'm a big guy at 6'4" and 350lbs, and my price is still the same 15 years later.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by SocialAdept

Not sure which Raja's you are referring to, but many high-end BKK tailors deal in cash only.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Hello gentlemen,

I've travelled to BKK only three times but have tried several "tailors" there for simple suits and trousers. I am usually doing made to measure and bespoke in Europe (London, Paris or Rome) and products cannot be compared at all of course.
That's not the question.

I found the most reliable tailor in BKK to be Pinky Tailor not far from the Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee. He's much more expensive than others but knows his job, has real fabrics (but also awful ones). When I'm saying real fabrics, I mean ones that you could find in Europe, produced by drapers like Vitale Barberis Canonico, Loro Piana, Scabal and so on. He also had some with the name Patak Philippe which I found hilarious but well, that's not the topic here.

Trousers in Vitale Barberis Canonico are around 150 USD which is near what you would pay in Paris in made to measure at a starting price.

The product was well done overall but I don't think it's really worth the money after all. It's Thailand and the craftsmanship isn't that great. Once you open the trousers or jackets to see how the sewing is done, it's far from being an amazing surprise.

Another one that is still ok is Danny's near soi 18. Take the time to find a real fabric that is not mixed with anything else than wool as it's usually the case in Thailand (and Asia). They will tell you it's 100% wool or 95% wool and 5% cashmere but that's a big big lie. So take you time in finding an appropriate one and you can get out with a suit at 160 USD that looks not so bad.

I find it usually much better to bring a suit you like since they don't have the slightest training in being proper cutters so it's safer to have them copy something than creating a cut for you.

I'm usually telling them where to place the needles for alterations since I don't find them so knowledgeable, apart from Pinky that does know his job at least.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
When I'm saying real fabrics, I mean ones that you could find in Europe, produced by drapers like Vitale Barberis Canonico, Loro Piana, Scabal and so on.
Any idea how much they chage for a suit made from Loro Piana fabric?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Any idea how much they chage for a suit made from Loro Piana fabric?
Well, a Loro Piana fabric is quite vague.

The Tasmanian are not the same cost than the Zelander that are from the prices from the baby cashmere and even further from the Zibeline, all produced by Loro Piana.

If you were to look at a basic Loro Piana fabric, the suit would probably be around 400 EUR.
Old May 7, 2012, 3:54 am

Unhappy

Hope this isnt too late for your trip. Had some clothes made by this guy in Bangkok last year (Jack at Monet il Sarto) All Ok, but decided to send him $350 for a mail order in February. Still waiting on delivery! Had various excuses,bad die lot, Thai New Year etc. etc. But still no clothes. Dont deal with him. There are plenty other tailors.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Originally Posted by alexmike1956
i will recommend you Crown tailor, as they offer high quality fabric and stitching according to your requirements. the texture they uses is so fine that it appeals you more and more
I use Crown as well. They are not the cheapest, but the workmanship is good. The higher end places expect a haggle and so have inflated prices.

Clothes from other tailors have fallen apart. Crown's are still going.

Wish I could go back and get some more.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by SeamasterLux
Hello gentlemen,

I've travelled to BKK only three times but have tried several "tailors" there for simple suits and trousers. I am usually doing made to measure and bespoke in Europe (London, Paris or Rome) and products cannot be compared at all of course.
That's not the question.

I found the most reliable tailor in BKK to be Pinky Tailor not far from the Royal Meridien Plaza Athenee. He's much more expensive than others but knows his job, has real fabrics (but also awful ones). When I'm saying real fabrics, I mean ones that you could find in Europe, produced by drapers like Vitale Barberis Canonico, Loro Piana, Scabal and so on. He also had some with the name Patak Philippe which I found hilarious but well, that's not the topic here.

Trousers in Vitale Barberis Canonico are around 150 USD which is near what you would pay in Paris in made to measure at a starting price.

The product was well done overall but I don't think it's really worth the money after all. It's Thailand and the craftsmanship isn't that great. Once you open the trousers or jackets to see how the sewing is done, it's far from being an amazing surprise.

Another one that is still ok is Danny's near soi 18. Take the time to find a real fabric that is not mixed with anything else than wool as it's usually the case in Thailand (and Asia). They will tell you it's 100% wool or 95% wool and 5% cashmere but that's a big big lie. So take you time in finding an appropriate one and you can get out with a suit at 160 USD that looks not so bad.

I find it usually much better to bring a suit you like since they don't have the slightest training in being proper cutters so it's safer to have them copy something than creating a cut for you.

I'm usually telling them where to place the needles for alterations since I don't find them so knowledgeable, apart from Pinky that does know his job at least.
Finally someone who knows the trade.
I don't know pinky but made similar experiences, where only one (Tanika) knew about tailoring and even then the 50k baht suit was not of the quality I get from a Spanish made to measure.
So imo this comment was highly anticipated from my side in between the many opinions about getting most bang for the buck despite considering quality, which i often feel many people think Thailand is about.
I strongly agree with the poster and this statements.

(written from my phone out of Asia)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 1:01 pm

Vietnam or Thailand?

Do you guys find the Tailors in Bangkok much better than the ones in Vietnam?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.