Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Old Jan 8, 12, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lapo1234 View Post
Can anyone provide some suggestions for a tailor near the Renaissance Hotel in Bangkok? Looking to buy a suit and some shirts from myself and my wife.
A much discussed topic, particularly recently. Check out the Bangkok Tailors thread as well as this passionate discussion. Mods, maybe merge with the general Bangkok Tailors discussion thread?
Old Jan 17, 12, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, AA EXP, Hertz Prez Circle
Follow up - very positive experience at Tailor on Ten

The most observant of members may have noticed that I had taken down a review I wrote in August about my experience with Tailor on Ten. I wanted to follow up and relay my very positive experience and connect the dots.

I was originally in Bangkok over the summer and found Tailor on Ten via this website as well as another. My experience was terrific from a customer service perspective and I was quite happy with the selection I had made, appreciated Alex's advice and input, and very much felt like he was striving to do everything he could to make sure I was happy.

There were a few minor points that I had raised, such as wanting to make sure there wasn't a lot of material left in back that bunched up. Ultimately, I should have done one more fitting (I was a bit constrained on time. Alex even brought everything over to my hotel, which was amazing, but I think we were focused on making sure the two suits I had bought fit and didn't try on the shirts a final time)

To make a long story a bit shorter, when I came back to the US and started work (I finished up b-school beforehand), I noticed that the shirts were not exactly what I had hoped. Quality was there, but there was too much material left in back and on the sleeves under the arm. This was something I had brought up and they took some material off during the first fittings, but it hadn't ultimately been enough.

I was planning to contact Alex and took down my review until everything was straightened out. Alex proactively reached out to check how things were and I told him the situation. His response surprised me even though I probably should have come to expect it: He said he would pay to have the shirts shipped back to him and, if I sent him a sample of a shirt that had the right amount of material, he would make sure the shirts were corrected and sent back. Ultimately, instead of doing that, he had me pick a new selection of fabrics and sent me new shirts that fit perfectly on his dime. The shirts arrived a few days ago (definitely my fault that it is now January because it took me forever to mail out a sample as i was traveling and inundated with work) and they indeed fit perfectly!

Alex had initially impressed me with his attention to detail and emphasis on customer service and he has surpassed all expectations that I had. When I visited in July he was demonstrably keen on continuing to build his business up the right way. I can appreciate that sometimes things go awry, and tremendously respect when a business take the long term perspective and goes out of its way to ensure that the customer is happy at the end.

In summary, had minor hiccup with some of original shirts, but Tailor on Ten more than fixed the issue and made me a loyal fan. If you are looking for a shop that uses high quality fabric, works meticulously to ensure fit, and stands by its products even after you leave, I'd recommend you give Tailor on Ten a serious look, Alex and team wont disappoint.

Last edited by sziv50; Jan 17, 12 at 6:33 am Reason: added title
Old Jan 27, 12, 3:33 am
Hvr

Programs: QC WP/OWE, LTG:
Well my second visit to Tailor on Ten was just as successful as the first one last year when I visited Alex and the team at their original premises.

Now Alex and his team are in a much larger building at the very end of Soi 8.

Last time I got ten long sleeve shirts and five pairs of trousers which I am very happy with, this time I wanted five short sleeved shirts.

As per my previously visit I emailed Alex and determined that I had enough time to allow for initial measuring, a fitting and then time for preparation.

We arranged a time and upon arrival I was warmly welcomed on the Monday afternoon and Alex got my preferred drink (cold water) and we discussed my previous order and how well it had turned out. I was given a guided tour of these new premises and got to see all of the many rooms where clients are measured and fitted out.

I decided on the materials I wanted and then Alex and I discussed all aspects of my shirts, style, cut, where the pocket would be placed, what type of collar etc. All essential items that make a top quality short look great.

I was then thoroughly measured up and an appointment time confirmed for the next day to test the first shirt. On Tuesday I arrived at the appointed time and tried on the first shirt. A great fit and demonstration of the expertise of both the measuring man and the tailor. We confirmed our final time for the collection and I left very pleased.

On Friday I arrived and was welcomed in again to try on all of my shirts, I am very pleased with both the quality of my shirts and the service I received.

Alex has put together a great team who are obviously proud of their work and in building the business. For example, upon arrival I was greeted by one of the ladies on staff and she ensured I had my cold water. They are a great team and I have no hesitation in recommending Tailor on Ten.

Be aware they do need enough time to prepare your clothing, I suggest you email ahead of time and discuss your requirements beforehand.

The final word goes to my work colleagues who get to see me in my tailored clothes and regularly comment quite favorably on the fit.
Old Jan 27, 12, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hvr View Post
Now Alex and his team are in a much larger building at the very end of Soi 8.
Is he changing the name of the shop?
Old Feb 3, 12, 2:00 am

Trying to summarize the last few years activity in this thread it appears as if though Raja's and ToT are the most recommended. Or would someone disagree with this?
Old Feb 3, 12, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SocialAdept View Post
Trying to summarize the last few years activity in this thread it appears as if though Raja's and ToT are the most recommended. Or would someone disagree with this?
I would say that you're asking for trouble with a question like that. This is, after all, FT, where the number of opinions often exceeds the number of posters. I will say that it depends greatly on what you're looking for. Beyond that, I'll just sit on my hands and smile politely.
Old Feb 3, 12, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I will say that it depends greatly on what you're looking for.
I'm looking for... a well-tailored suit. What are the categories?
Old Feb 3, 12, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
I'd strong suggest Tailor on Ten! These guys are great!
Old Feb 4, 12, 11:03 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
You opened a can of worms there, my friend ;-)

I've been using Raja's (Soi 4, entrance to Nana Plaza) for 15+ years for all my tailoring and am still very happy with the quality of workmanship and materials. I have a suit that I've flown at least 1,000,000 miles in and it still looks fantastic.
Old Feb 5, 12, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
If you prefer and can afford genuine, name-brand, high-end fabrics and meticulous tailoring, go to Tramp. You will not be disappointed.

If you're on a tighter budget, try Tailor on Ten.
Old Feb 6, 12, 8:36 am

Programs: UA-Silver, AA-Plat, Marriott PPlat
I saw a link to go to "ask andy" for cloth and suit type questions, are there other similar sites FT'ers would rec'd to check out. I'm not sure I "need" a MTM suit, and looking to not put the cart before the horse. Looking at the price sheet from ToT, $400 for a custom suit is nice (at their bottom end), and I'm sure not in the same category, but the suits in the $600+ category of Men's Warehouse / Jos A. Bank, aren't too bad when only wearing every couple weeks or so. Course, adding in tailoring and "custom fitting" pushes up the price, as do taxes...so I've been happy w/ $750USD suits (sometimes BOGO, so $375).

1. other site similar to askAndy
2. How much better is the quality for a 12000THB suit (approx $350ish) compared to a similarly priced suit here locally?

I should note, not slim, I don't believe I have a tough frame to tailor, but am the "typical American" w/ a few extra lbs in the belly and broad shouldered. B/c of travel, my weight/frame fluctuates over the course of a year.
Old Feb 7, 12, 3:39 pm

Can anyone recommend a tailor near the Renaissance Bangkok? I am looking to get a suit and my wife is as well. If you have suggestions can you please private message me.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 7, 12, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I will in Bangkok in August one weekend Friday morning to Monday evening, is that adequate time for them to complete a suit and shirt from one of the dozen or so recommended tailors on this thread?
Old Feb 8, 12, 6:26 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
It's possible but I would recommend against it because there is no wiggle room for detailing. You most likely won't get good quality in that short time frame.
Old Feb 8, 12, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I arrive in Bangkok at 5 AM on the 3rd of August, and then later that day I am off to Koh Phangan, but will be returning to Bangkok on the August 17th for a few days, if I went and had the suit measured on the first day, I could pick it up on August 17th for adjustments, is that a viable option?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: