FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1642525-bangkok-tailors-pre-2013-archive.html)

wideman Sep 19, 2005 1:54 pm

I have just had a bunch of clothes made by Mr. Bobby at Raja's, and I am very, very pleased. The quality is comparable to or better than the mid-level tailors in Hong Kong (though not up to the level of a top HK tailor such as WW Chan), and the prices are very fair.

Easiest way to find Raja's is to go to the Nana Hotel on soi Nana, and Raja's is directly across the street.

transpac Sep 20, 2005 2:32 am

Originally Posted by wideman
I have just had a bunch of clothes made by Mr. Bobby at Raja's, and I am very, very pleased. The quality is comparable to or better than the mid-level tailors in Hong Kong (though not up to the level of a top HK tailor such as WW Chan), and the prices are very fair.

Easiest way to find Raja's is to go to the Nana Hotel on soi Nana, and Raja's is directly across the street.

And if you want to watch as your clothes are sewn, head all the way down Sukhumvit Soi 4 (Soi Nana), past the Woraburri hotel. In that block before the Thai Tobacco Monopoly, on the right are a few open sewing shops. It's always a sight to see someone on the back of a motorbike taxi holding the suits in a plastic bag speeding up soi 4.

azmmza Sep 20, 2005 3:04 am

the best tailor in BKK

I have been going to BKK for a year now I just came back from my 4th trip.
I found my tailor through a friend and have bought over 50 shirts and 10 suits from him for myself. on one of my trips he taught me how to measure shirts and I have now ordered shirts for my grandfather, father, brother, and friends. All in all I have received well over 250 shirts from him.

I have NEVER had a problem

His shirts start at about 15 bucks and go up from there.

When he ships me shirts I have them at my door less than a week after I e-mail him.

Shipping runs about 5 buck a shirt but when you think about how far it has traveled to get to my door, its not that bad.

I have made suits and shirts in hk and in other shops in BKK no one comes close to the craftsmanship and service he provides.
pm me for his details.

Vulcan Sep 20, 2005 9:38 am

YGM

I will be in BKK next week.

quitecontrary Nov 17, 2005 4:16 am

I have been looking at this thread for a friend who is going to Bangkok and found Raja's website - www.rajastailors.com where it states that Mr Bobby left them in 2000!!
On the shirt fabrics that are generally available - do they have a choice of 100% linens?

transpac Nov 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
I have been looking at this thread for a friend who is going to Bangkok and found Raja's website - www.rajastailors.com where it states that Mr Bobby left them in 2000!!
On the shirt fabrics that are generally available - do they have a choice of 100% linens?

As one might say, "Not same, same. Different." The Raja's website you link to is for a shop on Sukhumvit Road near Soi 11. The Raja's shop referenced several times in this thread is on Sukhumvit Soi 4. Needless to say there are a lot of Raja's tailors in Bangkok.

Peregrine415 Nov 17, 2005 8:44 pm

The famous Bobby discussed here is with Raja's Fashion, not Raja's International Customer Tailor located next to Ambassador Hotel. Raja's Fashion is located on 1/6 Sukhumvit Soi, Nana 4, telephone 02-253-8379.

Needless to say, here's another vote for Bobby from a satisfied customer.

worldsense Nov 19, 2005 11:01 pm

process

I'll be in BKK for a few days at the end of this month.

I'm quite interested in getting a suit and some nice shirts.

What can I expect in terms of time needed to get it done (number of fittings/etc)?

What is the process in terms of payment? All at completion, all up front, etc?

Finally how does BKK compare to SIN and HKG as I'll be in these cities as well, albeit with less time.

Thanks!

wideman Nov 20, 2005 5:46 am

re worldsense:

You don't need to learn how to use 'Search' -- you need only read this topic to find answers to all your questions, except how to pay. For that one, figure a 50% deposit.

oceangirl Nov 20, 2005 5:53 am

Originally Posted by techgirl
Another HUGE recommendation for Raja's. I've done business with them on several occasions now and was thrilled with the outcome.

Did you have to bring pictures of styles you wanted? Did you find their stated prices to be reasonable? Or did you have to negotiate? I'll be there next summer and would love to have work clothing made.

Sandal Nov 20, 2005 9:42 am

Raja may good but......

Local businessmen never use...

Famous for the local both Thai and expat are Art's tailor, Perry's and Broadway. These tailors are most favourite among bankers and embassy staff. Other choices worth try are in the Oriental Hotel, Plaza Athinee and Grand Hyatt. These tailors also using Chinese tailors same as the first group.

Good Luck !!! :D

worldsense Nov 24, 2005 9:17 am

Good to know!

Are these folks cash only?

re worldsense:

You don't need to learn how to use 'Search' -- you need only read this topic to find answers to all your questions, except how to pay. For that one, figure a 50% deposit.

techgirl Nov 24, 2005 9:23 am

Originally Posted by oceangirl
Did you have to bring pictures of styles you wanted? Did you find their stated prices to be reasonable? Or did you have to negotiate? I'll be there next summer and would love to have work clothing made.

I brought some photos and also worked with one of their seamstresses on some sketches where I described what I wanted and she sketched until we both agreed.

FWIW, I've used Raja's International at Soi 11, not Mr. Bobby at Soi 4. So whoever posted that we were all referencing Soi 4 is wrong - the Soi 11 spot was recommended to me by several FTers.

jupitermars Nov 29, 2005 2:41 am

I found Mr. Bobby at Raja's Fashions through this thread (see my posts above) and have since purchased a number of suits and shirts. Here are my experiences that may be relevant to the recent posters:
- very good service, good standard products for an excellent price: top value
- high volume operation, not really set up for special custom work
- fabrics are good, but seems to be one standard grade / no "top-end" choice
- didn't see linen shirt choices; only saw cotton
- used mostly by foreign men, local and visitors (business, diplomats, military)
- from my observations I wouldn't recommend to my wife for women's fashion
- credit cards accepted; typically half on order and half on delivery
- seems to be standard package of 2 suits and 8 shirts for US$700
- I'm a satisfied customer; thanks to the many FTers for the recommendation!

worldsense Nov 29, 2005 7:00 pm

So what's the recommendation for "high end" fabrics. If I want to get something like an Armani equivalent where would I go and what would I pay?

Originally Posted by jupitermars
I found Mr. Bobby at Raja's Fashions through this thread (see my posts above) and have since purchased a number of suits and shirts. Here are my experiences that may be relevant to the recent posters:
- very good service, good standard products for an excellent price: top value
- high volume operation, not really set up for special custom work
- fabrics are good, but seems to be one standard grade / no "top-end" choice
- didn't see linen shirt choices; only saw cotton
- used mostly by foreign men, local and visitors (business, diplomats, military)
- from my observations I wouldn't recommend to my wife for women's fashion
- credit cards accepted; typically half on order and half on delivery
- seems to be standard package of 2 suits and 8 shirts for US$700
- I'm a satisfied customer; thanks to the many FTers for the recommendation!