Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Old Nov 7, 11, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
  • Is it possible to get enough fittings in within 4 days to leave with my clothes on the 4th day? I saw that they need 10 days for floating canvas - does that mean they need 10 days to make it, or do I need to be there throughout for fittings?
  • Can I get them to ship to me?
  • Is it advisable to call/email ahead with such a tight timeframe?
  • I know that some of the traveling tailors keep your measurements on file. Anyone know if Tailor on Ten does this? Is it even advisable to order MTM clothing this way?
I tend to refer to a poster a while back on this thread (page 4 or so).
The knowledgeable SOJU made a few points clear which other can only repeat in their words. The reference to some tailors might be old, the wisdom in his post is timeless.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/7678989-post135.html
read this!

I wrote something like this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16208177-post324.html before.

From my experience maybe this in addition:
I spend 4 months in BKK, a lot of money (40k for a suit at a capable tailor), had suits and roughly 40 shirts done by various tailors and still got not the results I wanted or I get at home (Europe) with comparable prices for my every day business suits/shirts (which is not entirely fair, since the handcraft and fabric quality in this price range is sometimes top notch... just not the fit)

Some facts that might help in the decision:
I can not advice to buy a MTM suit which should be ready in 3 days at all, when you have only time for a second fitting tops. Forget it. The result in this process can not be good and entirely depending on luck.
(A copy of a suit you have on the other hand might be possible - still risky time wise)

A good suit for little money like many ask here is impossible. The fabric alone costs in most cases more than what some tailors want for a whole suit... a suit for 10-15k baht can not be quality fabric.
And if you´re fine with the result of this process, cheap fabric & making, you´re probably fine with a cheap suit at home from the store (not MTM).

If you can wear regular cuts from the store, really ask yourself if you need a MTM suit. Beside the bragging factor you gain pretty much only the risk of failing (ok, you can be lucky also).
If you have the physique that needs MTM than you should be aware of what you need and want. If you need to think or find the answer for what cut, collar, cuffs, buttons (where, how, material) than you´re probably going to be overwhelmed, with bad results in the end.

You definitely should bring some experience into the process, because if you are a "newbie" in this, you have a hard time with Thai Tailors, since they tend to say "yes yes" a lot, even when an honest opinion would need a clear "no".
I always say "try this at home" first, wear the stuff for a while and find out what you like and more important need.

My expectations at a MTM suit are high. Also because in my line of work I wear them 5 days a week 16h a day. So shirts and suit have to fit, must be of good quality, comfortable and hopefully stunning looking.
If you have lesser expectations again, do you really need a (low quality, bad fit) suit?

Despite my harsh opinion and bad experiences, I still like to recommend Thai tailors... but different:
I had very good experience with casual shirts (or everything you wear up 4-6h tops)! Since I can not buy them in a store I have them done for a long time. And what really surprised me was the result for price and effort I got with casual shirts (all kind of fabric and color) with a straight cut for outside (of pants) wearing and a "tight" or "super slim" fit. This I can not buy anywhere else.
At this point a shirt for 1.200 - 2.500 baht in BKK is a bargain compared to what I would pay for even a cheap brand (regular shirt from store which does not fit). And even simple shirts made to measure (not high business standards) in Europe cost me 120+ € for the cheapest fabric... and they are designed for business, so the cut is more much spacier/bigger (means comfortable)... The comfort level is no concern of the woman on my side when we go out. She cares how I look and demand from me to wear tight, very slim cut shirts at dinner events, that she can be proud of me in the same way as I am of her...

If you still want to try, a last hint: Thai tailors are used to (and good with) very slim, straight Asian and very bulky (not to say fat) westerner physiques. They represent the majority of their customer. If you don´t fit in that description (athletic build or unusual out of common proportions), you need luck and still probably will not be happy in the end...

Hope that helps a little...

Last edited by FoodieOnTour; Nov 7, 11 at 1:47 pm
Old Nov 11, 11, 10:02 am
TLP

Originally Posted by newbiztraveler View Post
I'm heading to Bangkok for 4 days in January. Looking at Tailor on Ten, really positive reviews. I'd like to get 1-2 suits and 3-4 shirts. I've got some questions for those FTers experienced with bespoke clothing (or is this stuff really MTM?):
  • Is it possible to get enough fittings in within 4 days to leave with my clothes on the 4th day? I saw that they need 10 days for floating canvas - does that mean they need 10 days to make it, or do I need to be there throughout for fittings?
  • Can I get them to ship to me?
  • Is it advisable to call/email ahead with such a tight timeframe?
  • I know that some of the traveling tailors keep your measurements on file. Anyone know if Tailor on Ten does this? Is it even advisable to order MTM clothing this way?

Thanks in advance!
Perhaps my experience with Alex and his team will serve as an answer to your questions.

After reading reviews here and elsewhere I mailed ToT telling them I would be passing through BKK, arriving Sat pm and leaving Mon at noon. Would that be sufficient time for them to make me a couple of shirts? (A small initial order being a low risk route.)

The answer came back: yes it would but given the quick turnaround please bring along one of your own shirts.

Overnight flight. Cab. Hotel. Changed my shirt. Packed another shirt and strode out to find more shirts.

If you are staying locally and so choose to walk to ToT like I did you are going to pass tailor after tailor. Most offering incredible bundle deals and invite you into their store. Keep walking.

ToT is to be found down a side street in a low built, small, detached building. It’s certainly not Grade A retail space which I took as a good sign - far prefer for their costs to be materials and labour rather than rent.

Alex (or perhaps it was his brother) welcomed me, gave me a most welcome bottle of water and passed me to an employee to be measured. I volunteered the asked for shirt but it wasn’t wanted. Measurements taken I was given swatch books from which to choose materials before picking from a menu of shirt design options; choose from one of a dozen or more collar styles, one of a dozen cuff styles, choose the fit ,add a monogram ( surely not) . I handed over a couple of thousand baht as deposit and said see you Monday.

I don’t want to leave the impression the design process is limited or formulaic. In the store at the same time was a couple who had spent several hours finessing their order. It suited me to be brief, others might be in there all day.

Come Monday morning I return and the shirts are ready. Bang on time. They look good. They are well-made, have the correct collar, the right type of cuffs and no monogram.

Unfortunately they don’t fit. Not it’s-a-bit-tight sort of not fitting but the sleeves are up to the elbows and it’s the Dr. Bruce Banner in a bad mood look across the chest.

Alex and I quickly come to the conclusion , razor sharp brains that we are, that the measurements were taken down or read wrongly or muddled. Did inches become centimeters or arms become chest? We’ll never know.

So what to do? “ When are you leaving?” “Now, going to Tapei”

Here’s where it gets good: “This is your deposit back, we’ll re-make the shirts and they will be with you before you are back in London. There will be no charge” And they did and they were. And they fit perfectly.
Old Nov 11, 11, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TLP View Post
“This is your deposit back, we’ll re-make the shirts and they will be with you before you are back in London. There will be no charge” And they did and they were.
I have a local tailor with whom I'm very happy. I visited Tailor on Ten and decided to stay wtih my regular tailor. There is no doubt, however, that this is excellent customer service.
Old Nov 14, 11, 2:51 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by vincentinparis View Post
I have a question: nearly all the posts here are about suits and shirts, but does anybody have any experience having well-cut jeans made in this town?
My personal experience is to forget about it. The workmanship is usually good but the fabrics I've seen for jeans at different tailors are, at best, very traditional. Don't expect anything stylish.
Old Nov 15, 11, 8:52 am
formerly known as seanthepilot

Location: Don Muang, Thailand: AirAsia_Plat, UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_hater measly gold 4 life
If the story is true, kudos to you for bringing it and ToT for providing it. Time will tell.

Thank you for posting and replying.
Old Nov 15, 11, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2mm, AA Platinum- 2mm, Starwood Lifetime Platinum (Ambassador)
Originally Posted by seanthepilot View Post
If the story is true, kudos to you for bringing it and ToT for providing it. Time will tell.

Thank you for posting and replying.
While I agree a dose of healthy skeptacizm is important, I have a hard to time believing this is a shill.

First, why would they highlight a issue as a shill to make them look better -- wouldn't they be better served by making up some completely positive story.

Secondly, I am a repeat customer of ToT, and have always been happy with their work and customer service. All garments have been made perfectly, and any issues, however small, have been handled quickly and without fuss.
Old Nov 17, 11, 10:56 pm

Location: Usually Paris and Rome, but could be just about anywhere
Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by tnmlyger View Post
My personal experience is to forget about it. The workmanship is usually good but the fabrics I've seen for jeans at different tailors are, at best, very traditional. Don't expect anything stylish.
Thanks for this. I actually brought some nice denim with me from Paris, so hopefully I'll pick someone competent to make them.
Old Nov 20, 11, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by vincentinparis View Post
I have a question: nearly all the posts here are about suits and shirts, but does anybody have any experience having well-cut jeans made in this town?
Has anyone seen the feature in the latest BK Magazine on Ben Viapiana, a Canadian doing "bespoke" jeans in Bangkok?

Article here: http://bk.asia-city.com/shopping/article/denim-details
website here: viapiana.ca

B5000 a pair, so not exactly cheap, but pretty much what you'd expect to pay for some nicer jeans in the US or Europe...
Old Nov 20, 11, 11:56 am

He does high-end and ultra high-end stuff. 5,000 THB is one of his cheaper jeans. Didn't know you were looking at spending that sort of cash ;-). I got one made by him which wears no better than a $50 jeans from Macy's. But YMMV. Let me know how it turns out for you.
Old Nov 20, 11, 10:00 pm

He does high-end and ultra high-end stuff. 5,000 THB is one of his cheaper jeans. Didn't know you were looking at spending that sort of cash ;-). I got one made by him which wears no better than a $50 jeans from Macy's. But YMMV. Let me know how it turns out for you.
As is the case for most things, I'd be willing to pay if they were really good, but if you say the jeans are nothing special, then my every day tailor can whip up a pair for me for not much more than B1000.

The search goes on!

Last edited by vincentinparis; Nov 21, 11 at 8:52 am
Old Nov 20, 11, 11:59 pm

Well, your experience may be different than mine. Your body type could be completely different. Give it a shot :-)
Old Nov 25, 11, 4:21 am

Well, your experience may be different than mine. Your body type could be completely different. Give it a shot :-)
Exactly.
Old Nov 28, 11, 3:20 pm

Sounds like something Alex would do. He seemed very concerned about his businesse's reputation. He was nice to work with. Unfortunately my shirts also look about as described. They got worse after washing them a couple of times. The collars seem to be not well glued(?) because they throw little bubles. Some of the stitching on the floating canvas suite is coming undone. Sorry guys but that was not what I expected for the price!

Update: Alex emailed me after reading my review here and refunded the 150€ I paid to get the shirts fixed and we are working on a solution to get the suites fixed as well. He told me that they moved to a new shop and are working with a new tailor now.

Last edited by flo0816; Dec 29, 11 at 2:04 pm
Old Nov 29, 11, 1:54 am

Please keep in mind that many tailors in Bangkok wouldn't recognize a floating canvas if it stared them in the face. At Raja's (the one right next to Nana Plaza), they explained it to me like this: Maybe one in a hundred customers even asks for a floating canvas in their suit jacket, so your typical tailor (the Thais, not the Indian frontmen) simply don't have enough practice to keep their floating-canvas-making skills sharp. Raja specifically recommended to go to London for a custom-made suit with a floating canvas or at the very least to Hong Kong or Shanghai. He also mentioned two places in Bangkok that I could try, but the names escape me. I guess my advice is to take the hint.
Old Jan 8, 12, 11:03 am

Best Tailor in BKK near the Renaissance Hotel

Can anyone provide some suggestions for a tailor near the Renaissance Hotel in Bangkok? Looking to buy a suit and some shirts from myself and my wife.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: