Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]

Old May 12, 2005, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF_trotter
Well... a good suit isn't supposed to wrinkle.
I'm trying to imagine a wrinkle-free linen suit, however good the quality...
Old May 13, 2005, 11:45 am

-> retrav1K

Can you give some price examples for shirts and suits?

After falling into the hands of a terrible tailor in BKK in 1997 who made something that at the tailors place looked nice but once I brought it back to Europe seemed somehow "old fashioned", I never bought anything from any tailor in BKK.

I will be back in Thailand again this fall and could use some nice shirts in a proper material, that can handle my many train trips and still look good for the meetings I am to attend. Anybody with any tips on which material to look for, or any online resource that gives advice on what material to use for shirts and suits?

Thanks!
Old May 13, 2005, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mogensen
...any online resource that gives advice on what material to use for shirts and suits?
Best I've found is Ask Andy's Forum, where you'll find lots and lots of opinions and information.
Old May 13, 2005, 12:46 pm

after some hit and miss attempts with multiple thai tailors, i found that the trick was to bring them what i wanted copied. otherwise i just didn't get the exact result i was hoping for. both suits and shirts. now i do -- perfect.
Old May 24, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just went to Lucky Man fashion after examining about 6-7 shops in Sukhumvit. They are located in the mall of the Ambassador on Soi 11 methinks.

Arun, the owner, is extremely friendly and informative. It seemed to me out of the 6-7 shops, he was the least pushy and friendliest. I also liked many of the fabrics he had. I bought 1 suit, 2 sports coats, 8 pairs of pants, 9 shirts monogrammed, 4 neckties, and pocket squares for $500 all in. I have gone in for one fitting and am going for another next week when i get back to bangkok. I am very happy with the quality of these fabrics.

Thanks for the advice FT.

Originally Posted by retrav1K
My favourite tailor (for last 5 years since I stopped using Hong Kong tailors) is Lucky Man Fashions .. now in the Ambassador Hotel Plaza (between the hotel ans Sukhumvit Soi 11.... the family are very friendly -- have treated us and our friends really well and have good prices fro good quality (they do not stock the SUPER expensive fabrics but can buy in for you) ... I am still wearing shirts I had made there 5 years ago... and I am rough on them with my travel schedule.

Shop used to be along the big open strip between ambassador and Sukhumvit where the beer bar, etc was (closer to Suk Soi 11/1 ?)-- now pulled down and a lux Serviced Apartment tower going up (opposite Miami or Manhattan hotel next to what was a string of 7 or 8 foot massage places..
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:41 am

Programs: some
I have never had a suit made, so I hope someone can tell me if what I want is feasible... I have always wanted to have a `special` suit made, not a standard/formal type suit but something more adventurous. If I bring in a decent picture of what I want, can they imitate that? How many and what quality pictures do they need? It doesn`t have to be 100% the same but as long as the style is similar.

How much would I have to expect to pay extra for something out of the ordinary?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
We stayed at the Oriental last year and the concierge and a friend of mine recomended a place near there called World Group. I had two suits and two shirts made for $350 (after a considerable amount of negotiation). My shirts came out very nice and I was happy with them. My suits were ok, not great but conidering the price very reasonable. They have tons of pictures from magazines cut out and you can just point and they will do the work. Also, they can sew something on the internal pocket, like a "Made for Mr. Flier" which is a nice touch. However, my girlfriend had a request for a long coat and even though the lady claimed to completely understand what she wanted they really ruined it. It was not at all what she wanted and the material on the coat was not as nice as the sample fabric.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:59 am

Paging Mr. EUTOW

Just found this thread, and am curious whether Eutow tried Raja's or any of the other recommended tailors and can share his experience?

(From his various other posts in FT I'm confident he has impeccable taste!)
Old Sep 10, 2005, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jupitermars
Just found this thread, and am curious whether Eutow tried Raja's or any of the other recommended tailors and can share his experience?

(From his various other posts in FT I'm confident he has impeccable taste!)
I have truly awful taste, but thanks for that anyway!

I found an excellent tailor, and made a point of getting his card. Of course, I am too disorganised to be able to locate it now.

His shop is on the ground floor of Oriental Plaza, behind the Oriental hotel. I cannot recall the shop's name, but if you find Cotton House (a ladies' tailor) and face it, turn to your right, and the tailor I went to is 2 or 3 shops further down the corridor on the same side as Cotton House. He has a lot of men's suiting and shirting fabrics visible from outside.

The gentleman in the shop was very professional and charming, and discussed the merits of various shirt fabrics, and how I wanted the shirts cut. He has an extensive range of fabrics, and was happy to show me them, along with some of the other shirts he is making for clients.

I had brought along a shirt that I wanted copied, although with some modifications. He understood the variations I wanted, and indeed gave some advice about them. We negotiated the price for 6 shirts (price varies depending on the choice of fabric - I cannot recall what I paid, but it was not cheap by Bangkok standards, although seemed good value to me), he measured me up, and I went back the next day for a fitting. He promised to send the shirts to the hotel by the end of the day, and they turned up on schedule.

They had been made extremely well. I have had the chance to wear them frequenly since, and they have worn very well. He also called me the morning after delivery to make sure that everything was to my liking, which was a nice touch.

If I need a tailor when I am next in Bangkok, I shall not hesitate to return to him. He had a lot of suit fabrics too, and I may be tempted to get a suit made in November. The prices are not as cheap as at many other places, but I found his understanding of the requirements and then execution to be excellent. Do please give him a try, and let us know how it goes!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:10 am

Another recommendation for Raja's.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by eutow
I have truly awful taste, but thanks for that anyway!
Well, if not impeccable taste then certainly impeccable, detailed reports .... Thanks eutow!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Another HUGE recommendation for Raja's. I've done business with them on several occasions now and was thrilled with the outcome.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I am a huge fan of Ravis. His website is Ravistailor.com

I have purchased clothing from him since early 2000. The workmanship is excellent, and he does not charge for Big and Tall. He has a HUGE selection of fabrics and styles for each price range. Single breasted suites start at $209.00 for 100 percent wool.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 2:46 am

Programs: some
Just came back from Raja's - great service, very friendly. They had a few books, I flicked through it, chose a weird (and difficult) designer suit and they're making it now. Hope it will turn out well. Will see next month!
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jupitermars
Well, if not impeccable taste then certainly impeccable, detailed reports .... Thanks eutow!
It's a pleasure. Good luck with your trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.