FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thailand (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand-624/)
-   -   Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thailand/1642525-bangkok-tailors-pre-2013-archive.html)

haveric Feb 25, 2007 7:32 pm

Once you find a tailor, and he has your measurements on file, how do folks go about choosing fabrics for a new order of shirts?

grahamb Feb 25, 2007 10:59 pm

Any good Chinese-Thai tailors in Bangkok?

Does anyone know of any good Chinese tailors in Bangkok? The ones listed in this thread (and most of the ones I see about town) are Indian tailors and I find that the cut is different. I've tried to get an Indian tailor to cut a suit with a similar shape to a Chinese tailor but to no avail. I first experienced tailored suits in Hong Kong and I'm trying to get something similar without having to fly to HKG.

There was a thread on FT talking about a Chinese-Thai tailor in Amarin Plaza. I tried there and initially had good experience when I was dealing with the 'main guy' but after a while he never seemed to be there and the service went downhill. I've not been back there since.

Any other suggestions?

garyphil Feb 26, 2007 9:33 am

There's actually one i've heard of in silom. I think he goes by the name Arts. I'm not entirely sure on this though.

sonoftheheartland Feb 27, 2007 4:43 pm

I use Ah Song in one of the sois off New Road very close to the Oriental Hotel. Been very satisfied all the way around.

BaldEmu Feb 27, 2007 4:45 pm

Rajawongse (Jesse & Victor) vs Raja's Fashions (Bobby); Tramps prices?

Has anyone had suits done by both of these places, and so are able to compare them? I'm considering an extended mileage run to BKK and would pick up some suits while I'm there, but am wondering if one is clearly better than the other. My understanding is that Rajawongse (Jesse & Victor) is on 130 Sukhumvit Rd nr Sio 4, and Raja's Fashions (Bobby) is 1/6 Sukhumvit Soi Nana 4......

(Raja's International on Soi 11 seems to be a third Raja's with less reviews).

ALSO - eutow or anyone else who has used Tramps - I'm wondering if you have a sense of the price difference between the Raja's and Tramps?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

peni Mar 11, 2007 5:39 am

I have been to rajawongse and made two shirts and I was quite dissapointed as they were rather boxy and unshaped to my size, in hope for something better, I asked for ladies dresses, and he said "I am not a ladies tailor" I was surprised as I believe that a "good" tailor makes both for men and women and if he was not a "ladies tailor" then why didn't he tell me before I got my shirts made? Very dissapointing. So I walked further into the Landmark Hotel Plaza, not too far from rajawongse and then I spotted Nickermanns, a tailor shop that makes both for women and men. I made a couple of dresses and suits and they were perfectly tailored to my size. My husband seemed to be very happy with his suits too and he has stopped using Rajawongse for Nickermanns. I will surely stop by to visit them during my next visit to bangkok.

garyphil Mar 11, 2007 11:19 am

This is actually the first time i've heard of rajawongse even doing ladies clothes. I thought they only did men's clothing anyways. How did you get them to do your stuff. Very puzzling indeed.

l etoile Mar 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by garyphil (Post 7382406)
This is actually the first time i've heard of rajawongse even doing ladies clothes. I thought they only did men's clothing anyways. How did you get them to do your stuff. Very puzzling indeed.

They do advertise that they do clothing for women. And there's a Thomas Pink book in their shop with photos of women's clothing you can basically have copied.

MilesDependent Mar 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by MilesDependent (Post 7290843)
I will be arriving Bangkok on a Thursday morning, and departing on a Sunday afternoon. Do you think this is enough time to get 2 suits and about 10-15 shirts made? I was hoping for Rajawongse based on the comments here.

In the past I went to "New International Boutique House":
http://www.nibh.com/html/

I would rate them as "so so". I am quite pleased with ths suit I bought from there about 6 months ago - but not that pleased. The 7 shirts are another story. The collars have gone all bubbly and I have thrown 2 of them out already, and the rest are on their last legs. Very disappointing.

I went to another tailor a few years back down near the Shangri-la and got a sports jacket made. Absolute disaster - the thing fell apart after a few months.

Unfortunately Rajawongse is going to be closed while I am in BKK (they are shut from Apr-9 to Apr-21) :(

I will be trying Raja's. Is the best Raja's the one at Soi 4? Does anyone have the actual address or email?

MD

Peregrine415 Mar 28, 2007 4:26 am

Raja is located at 1/6 Sukhumvit Soi Nana 4, across from Nana Hotel, which is behind J.W. Marriott Hotel. I believe they open at 10:30 a.m.

broadwayboy Apr 5, 2007 9:49 am

Enlever Ses Vetements looks great and I think I'll visit them in May!
Does anyone have the address for TRAMPS? They're highly regarded in some publications I read.

Originally Posted by BobbySteel (Post 6479658)
Louis at Enlever Ses Vetement did some AWESOME work for me. He was kind of pricey ($500 for a nice suit w/ amazing shirt) but it was a really stylish cut. Highly recommended. Also mentioned in the Luxe Guides.

http://enleversesvetements.com/newsite/main.htm

gfowler-ord-1k Apr 6, 2007 12:44 am

I have had clothing made twice at
Tom's International Collection (formerly Tony's Fashions)
12 Mahanakorn Road Mahaphruttaram
Bang-Rak Bangkok, 10500
Phone 02 236-1497 or 02 236-1766
They provide round trip transport in their van or taxi for all fittings. I have been happy with their service and quality. Last year I got 2 Armani style Italian wool suits, 4 extra pants, 6 cotton shirts and 6 off-the-shelf silk ties for THB40,000. They take credit cards. If you have a picture of something you want copied bring it. I found that they want to keep the quoted price constant but will bargain to throw in extra shirts, pants and ties. They also do women's clothing.

I will be wearing one of them that the 2007 Freddies if anyone wants to see the quality.

jessicate Apr 7, 2007 12:54 pm

Does anyone have more information/ advice on having a tuxedo made in BKK?

Here is the situation:
My fiance and I will be getting married in July in the Caribbean, but we will be in Bangkok until the end of June. We were told by our wedding planner that there are not many options for tuxedo rental in the town where we will be married. So we are considering having three tuxedos (for my fiance, my father and the best man) made for the wedding while we are here, but my fiance is the only one who will actually be in Bangkok.

Is it possible/ advisable to have a tuxedo made based on measurements taken from a tailor elsewhere? I saw that it was mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere that a lot of tailors will make suits for customers whom they have already measured and fitted at some point, but can this be done for customers who merely send a list of their measurements?

Also, can anyone give me an idea of what a tuxedo should cost here? We obviously want something that will look good for the wedding, but the tuxedos need not be of the absolute best quality, as they probably won't get too too much use. We are students and do not have much money, so we'd like to spend as little as possible without wasting our money on something awful!

There seems to be a lot of discussions on this and other forums about suit materials, quality and prices, but very little about tuxedos.

I'd really appreciate any information and/or advice that anyone has to offer.

TIA :D

garyphil Apr 7, 2007 11:45 pm

You'll have a list of tailors come up who can make tuxedo's in Bangkok for you. I think i'll summarize the list for you more or less:

Rajawongse www.dressforsuccess.com front of sukhumvit soi 4
Crown www.crowntailor.com sukhumvit soi 8
Rajas (dunno the website) in sukhumvit soi 4
WW Chan (in HK)
Tramps (no website) (someone will let you know again the location of this one)

I guess your fiance is going to be the main man in the wedding so its good HE's in Bangkok, so he'll be able to get a couple of fittings done.

If you just send the measurements of the suit to the people, you are more then likely going to have to make some amendments to the suit when it reaches you. Maybe take it in here, too tight here etc etc. If you can find someone you can do all that for you, then go ahead and order from them. You'll be able to find tuxedo's in Bangkok for much cheaper then where youre from for sure so np with that! :p

Gluck with your tuxedos' and congratulations on your wedding! (in advance :cool: )

mikeinseattle Apr 8, 2007 3:08 pm

Came back and visited Raja's Tailors. Here's the skinny:

Shop is very busy but coming in at 10:30am is a good option. I ordered the following:

1 Suit
4 shirts
3 pants

total bill was 26,000 bahts. Here's my take on the quality.

1. I think custom shirts are great buy as they are relatively cheap and really do fit you very well. What's the use of a good fitting suit if your shirt collar is too tight or if clothing will bunch around the waist. Shirts are approx. 4 for a $100 USD. I was very impressed with the stiching and attention to detail.

2. Make sure you let them know you want full inside lining. If you do not request it, you will not get it. I forgot to ask.

3. For a while there with the article, the owner was quite busy and turned away customers. I understand he can do the shirts in his own factory now and can turn those around quite quickly.

4. If you have the time, go for at least 2 fittings. What's the use of a tailor made suit if you don't go for the proper fittings. Also, give them enough time so that your order is not rushed.

5. Let them know what you like: looser waist, slim fit, pleats or no pleats. If you are not sure, you can always ask them to make you look slimmer :p

Mike