Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
OMG, it just happened again, but in SGN this time. I must have SUCKER written on my forehead. Anyhow, I'm almost glad the BKK cabbie got me warmed up with his mere 100% mark up. In SGN, the meter read 760K VND (US$32) from airport to hotel! The driver conveniently "missed" the entrance to the hotel and wanted to drop me off at the street. I said no, take me to hotel. I refused to get out. So he started dropping his price. He went to 250K, then 200K, then 150K. I offered him 100K because he was a criminal, but he wouldn't go any lower than 150K (US$6) which I knew was in the right ballpark so I paid it. Sheesh! 500% mark up. That's not greedy is it?
No you just don't look (or sound) like a local. When I was last in Vietnam I found Grab to be a great value (IME much better value/price than Thailand). One trip the hotel car was the same price as a taxi (advised by concierge and confirmed from online data) so I had the hotel pick me up - but this isn't usually the case
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by estnet
No you just don't look (or sound) like a local. When I was last in Vietnam I found Grab to be a great value (IME much better value/price than Thailand). One trip the hotel car was the same price as a taxi (advised by concierge and confirmed from online data) so I had the hotel pick me up - but this isn't usually the case
I looked at Grab, but the airport was a zoo and I wasn't sure where the pick up area was. Since my Vietnamese sucks, I figured I wouldn't be able to communicate with the Grab driver as to where to find me. So I figured I'd just go with a taxi since the prices were very similar according to Rome2Rio.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
OMG, it just happened again, but in SGN this time. I must have SUCKER written on my forehead.
FWIW, MG, Vietnam is someplace where I always have the hotel send someone to meet me at the airport.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I looked at Grab, but the airport was a zoo and I wasn't sure where the pick up area was. Since my Vietnamese sucks, I figured I wouldn't be able to communicate with the Grab driver as to where to find me. So I figured I'd just go with a taxi since the prices were very similar according to Rome2Rio.
For future reference, outside on arrival level furthest to the left is Vina Sun and My Lin. I did this last time with no Vietnamese language ability.
LIH Prem and margarita girl like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
We should probably get back to talking about BKK taxis rather than Vietnam. Is there a VN taxis thread?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: aa
Its been two years since we have been to bkk. Last time we got the mini van taxi from the queue... with the towel covering the meter and the driver trying to tell me that all the cars that size only do a set price and no meter.

Im trying to avoid having that happen again, especially coming from the Midwest and arriving at 230 am. This time we will have 4 adults and a total of 4 check in size bags. Would it cost a lot more to pre book something as opposed to waiting in the queue? We are going to the anatara riverside if that helps.

Thansk for the help!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:08 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
The key for the taxis and vans you get from the queue at the airport is to ensure that you keep the piece of paper that the machine prints. You can show it ot the driver, but never let them take it. Then they know you have their details if they try to pull anything.

You could book an AOT car online at https://www.aot-limousine.com/ or inside the baggage claim area. They have Toyota vans and Isuzu SUVs that would both probably work for you.

You could also use Grab and book a Grab Van.
travelinterpreters likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA - Blue
airport car service from DMK?

My family (wife, 9 yo daughter and ~2 yo son) and I will be arriving to DMK this sunday afternoon from HKT. We'll have one large suitcase, 1 big bag, stroller, and 3-4 smaller carry-on type bags.

We'll be staying at the IC in Bangkok. Assuming that their car service will be ridiculously expensive, what options will we have at the airport? I'm assuming a regular taxi will be too small? If we get a taxi van, what will be (approximate) price differential be for that compared with an airport-booked car service? And is there such a thing from DMK -- AOT appears specific for BKK. I know that we can also try Grab-van...I need to configure the app, so that will be my back-up option unless the consensus is that's the best by far...

thanks!

tb
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by trueblu
My family (wife, 9 yo daughter and ~2 yo son) and I will be arriving to DMK this sunday afternoon from HKT. We'll have one large suitcase, 1 big bag, stroller, and 3-4 smaller carry-on type bags.

We'll be staying at the IC in Bangkok. Assuming that their car service will be ridiculously expensive, what options will we have at the airport?
Define "ridiculously expensive." You're staying at the IC, hardly a budget property. A Mercedes S class sedan is approximately USD $100. That will probably be large enough, from your description. A van is available for slightly more. While hotel car services are essentially always more expensive than AOT or other options, they're incredibly easy. Driver already knows who you are and where you're going. S/he telephones the hotel just before you get there, and staff is typically awaiting your arrival at the front door. IMO this just enhances the luxury experience of staying at a top place like this. When I arrive at BKK, I always use my hotel's car service if I anticipate that there's a possibility that I may be stressed. After I've been flying for 25 or 30 hours, I want arrival to be as easy and mindless as possible.

And, yes, I've used the hotel car service even on a short flight like arrival from HKT. A couple of kids, a number of bags, easy for a minor burp to escalate. I love having someone waiting for me holding a sign with my name on it as I exit bag claim. Then I know that I can relax, stop thinking, and everything will be taken care of properly. Only you can decide what that's worth to you. For reference, my hotel charges closer to USD $65 for this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom

I wonder if there is a way for him to flip the meter from scam mode to normal mode or vice versa depending on the passenger.

Originally Posted by dsquared37

YES. Most absolutely yes.
Please provide details.

I would think the ability to offer a SCAM mode would be increased with the new fully digital meters rather than the black mechanical boxes with red numbers.

Last edited by arcticflier; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:09 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:03 am

I am a regular traveler to BKK and Im quite familiar with drivers not wanting to use a meter. However, I had a new issue last week and Id like to report a driver. I took a cab at 6 am from the Athenee to the airport. About 1/3 of the way there I noticed that the meter was 270 baht...

I sent all my pics to the Athenee, but have no way to know if they did anything with them. I really want to report this guy if only because he thought he could take advantage of a woman traveling alone.
1. Take heart. This type of thing happens to every farang, not just a woman traveling alone.

2. The hotel did nothing to follow up on your complaint.

3. Are you certain that the meter was zeroed to 35 upon entering? Absolutely certain? Not just a, Well I make a habit of checking?

Last edited by arcticflier; Jan 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticflier

Please provide details.

I would think the ability to offer a SCAM mode would be increased with the new fully digital meters rather than the black mechanical boxes with red numbers.
Hot meters don't run at a sped up rate all the time. They'll jump like crazy and then run normally and there most definitely is a trigger for the madness.
estnet likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Hot meters don't run at a sped up rate all the time. They'll jump like crazy and then run normally and there most definitely is a trigger for the madness.
Interesting.
A few weeks ago I thought one had increased too rapidly on a route I take with some frequency but I thought it unlikely.

That was in Sathorn to Asoke.

As someone who grew up pro-labor working class Democrat, I abhor the very concept of Uber and Grab for their hostile labor practices but at the same time some of these cabbies have put the noose around their own necks. I just wish the good cabbies, and BKK has many in my experience, didnt have to suffer as well.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arcticflier

....but at the same time some of these cabbies have put the noose around their own necks. I just wish the good cabbies, and BKK has many in my experience, didnt have to suffer as well.
The bolded [mine] is absolutely true and rest is, sadly, the consequence.
estnet and arcticflier like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Define "ridiculously expensive." You're staying at the IC, hardly a budget property. A Mercedes S class sedan is approximately USD $100. That will probably be large enough, from your description. A van is available for slightly more. While hotel car services are essentially always more expensive than AOT or other options, they're incredibly easy. Driver already knows who you are and where you're going. S/he telephones the hotel just before you get there, and staff is typically awaiting your arrival at the front door. IMO this just enhances the luxury experience of staying at a top place like this. When I arrive at BKK, I always use my hotel's car service if I anticipate that there's a possibility that I may be stressed. After I've been flying for 25 or 30 hours, I want arrival to be as easy and mindless as possible.

And, yes, I've used the hotel car service even on a short flight like arrival from HKT. A couple of kids, a number of bags, easy for a minor burp to escalate. I love having someone waiting for me holding a sign with my name on it as I exit bag claim. Then I know that I can relax, stop thinking, and everything will be taken care of properly. Only you can decide what that's worth to you. For reference, my hotel charges closer to USD $65 for this.
Thanks for the response. Just as an aside, the stay at the IC is an Award Stay. And I would definitely define US$100 as far too much. We don't need an S class merc, just a relatively hassle-free experience. It seems that a regular taxi would be about $20, so that's a lot, lot more. I'd be willing to pay twice the taxi price for less hassle. It's not that I'm averse 100% to a hotel car: in fact we got one from HKT airport to our current hotel (Holiday Inn Mai Khao), because the absolute differential was relatively small (in $ terms) and again, I wasn't sure we could fit into a regular taxi and didn't know if vans would be available.

Moving back to car service options from DMK: any information if the equivalent of AOT is available from DMK?

tb
arcticflier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.