Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:22 am

The 555 rule is definitely a very useful tip ^
Anyway, I've noticed that if the driver does not want to turn on the meter, another way to get a quite faire quotation is to speak a bit of Thai.

You'll save some money by asking how much it will cost and negotiating the price in Thai. This is what I've experienced.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:15 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I rarely take taxis anymore, despite over 100 airport trips over the last few years.

Friends have been using Grab for rides all around town, so I tried it to BKK, recently. It worked perfectly! Meter, plus the call fee, and the 25 baht toll. Cash paid curbside at the airport.

I fly back through BKK soon and may try it on arrival, too.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I rarely take taxis anymore, despite over 100 airport trips over the last few years.

Friends have been using Grab for rides all around town, so I tried it to BKK, recently. It worked perfectly! Meter, plus the call fee, and the 25 baht toll. Cash paid curbside at the airport.

I fly back through BKK soon and may try it on arrival, too.

I believe you used GrabTaxi which is different than just saying Grab. The Grab service that many, if not most, people use for rides in Bangkok is a ride sharing service similar to Uber; there is no meter involved. The rides are booked via an app and the fare is quoted at the time of booking. You ride in a privately owned/leased vehicle.

Conversely, GrabTaxi is just a way of paying 25 thb extra to book a regular taxi. (Not intended as a knock on you - if you're happy with it, you should definitely stay with it.)

Last edited by Diplomatico; Mar 5, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Diplomatico

Conversely, GrabTaxi is just a way of paying 25 thb extra to book a regular taxi. (Not intended as a knock on you - if you're happy with it, you should definitely stay with it.)
You say that, but if you live on a small soi, or maybe a tricky place to call a taxi, maybe a gated apartment building where you'd have to walk out to the main soi to have any chance of finding a taxi, in the rain/heat/etc., well then GrabTaxi is cheaper than an Uber, you can book it from your apartment/hotel room, and they have the same type of messaging alerts, contacts, etc, it can be extremely convenient. For a whole 25 thb extra. I highly recommend it as an app in the "toolbox" because sometimes availability is tricky.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Powers106
You say that, but if you live on a small soi, or maybe a tricky place to call a taxi, maybe a gated apartment building where you'd have to walk out to the main soi to have any chance of finding a taxi, in the rain/heat/etc., well then GrabTaxi is cheaper than an Uber, you can book it from your apartment/hotel room, and they have the same type of messaging alerts, contacts, etc, it can be extremely convenient. For a whole 25 thb extra. I highly recommend it as an app in the "toolbox" because sometimes availability is tricky.
GrabTaxi is always cheaper than an Uber or Grab car? Perhaps in the situation you describe above (and I can certainly see how it might be helpful in such situations) that is the case.

In Chiang Mai, GrabTaxi is nearly always the most expensive of the Grab options and usually more expensive than Uber. (But, as always, what works for one person may not be the best solution for another.)

(Apologies for drifting off topic.)
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:37 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I believe you used GrabTaxi which is different than just saying Grab. The Grab service that many, if not most, people use for rides in Bangkok is a ride sharing service similar to Uber; there is no meter involved. The rides are booked via an app and the fare is quoted at the time of booking. You ride in a privately owned/leased vehicle.

Ive got an app. Its called Grab. I selected the cheapest option.

I needed to go to the airport on a Friday afternoon. Taxis in my area will not go. I live inside a soi.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:23 pm

Taxi from Bangkok airport

What would be an average 'negotiated price' for a taxi hailed at Suvarnabhumi to the Sukhumvit MRT station on Sunday (late) afternoon?

For the return trip on a Monday morning around 9 AM, what is the least that I should expect to pay?
Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
What would be an average 'negotiated price' for a taxi hailed at Suvarnabhumi to the Sukhumvit MRT station on Sunday (late) afternoon?

For the return trip on a Monday morning around 9 AM, what is the least that I should expect to pay?
If you insist upon negotiating a rate (most would advise you to insist on having the driver use the meter), the going flat rate from BKK to your destination is 400 THB.

Same going back.

Lots of discussion here:

Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

Negotiated? Why do you want to pay more than you should?

The least that you should pay would be by using the legally mandated meter.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
If you are familiar with Uber or Grab, I would recommend those over a metered cab.

Advantages being:
  1. Private car pick-up is on the same floor as arrivals. So after immigration and luggage collection, it is basically 20 steps out of the terminal instead of going to the taxi bay in the basement at which you need to collect a queue number.
  2. Cab drivers often conveniently forget English, receipt printing paper or the ability to turn on the meter despite it being harshly prosecuted and enforced nowadays. Miscommunication and misroutings are a common sight.
  3. Accountability: you have a fixed upfront fare agreed via the app, can track the route and complain to the app provider if necessary. What I also value the most is the digital receipts for claims purposes. Bonus: Grab offers a loyalty program, which allows you to accumulate points for redemptions such as ride vouchers.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards

Bangkok taxis lesson #1

Do NOT negotiate fare. If they won't use the meter, find another taxi.
From the airport, using the official taxi queueing system, the drivers are required to switch on the meter, and you pay a 50 baht airport surcharge in addition to the fare+tolls on arrival to your destination

Visitors to Bangkok who continue to take taxis on a fixed fare just make the situation worse.

Please please forget this notion of 'negotiated price'
dsquared37 and CJKatl like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Just got an email saying Grab and Uber will merge under Grab Is this for real?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by estnet
Just got an email saying Grab and Uber will merge under Grab Is this for real?
Correct. Announced over the weekend, and its getting a lot of airtime and web coverage today.

LINK
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by seavisionburma
Correct. Announced over the weekend, and its getting a lot of airtime and web coverage today.

LINK
Thanks Too bad since there often was a price difference☹ Im in Thailand and hadn't seen any news
Old Mar 26, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks Too bad since there often was a price difference☹ Im in Thailand and hadn't seen any news
Might not be on the local Thai news yet? But I arrived to Bangkok yesterday and its been all over Channel News Asia, Bloomberg, CNBC Asia etc.
I actually saw it on twitter. There were reports on the merger a few weeks ago, but nothing had been confirmed until yesterday

I live in Myanmar, and Grab is clearly dominant there. Uber started strong last year in Yangon but then failed dismally

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.