Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
and yet the Uber driver I had today was a pink taxi with Grab stickers all over - go figure.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by estnet
and yet the Uber driver I had today was a pink taxi with Grab stickers all over - go figure.
Funny. I once had a Grab driver pick me up in Chiang Mai in his 12 passenger airport taxi van, complete with company name and phone number painted in large letters on the side of the van.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
From my previous post...(#1085)

I think a standard metered taxi can also be dispatched as part of the UberFlash beta program in Bangkok, although I've never gotten one in ~ five UberFlash bookings this month...

https://www.uber.com/en-TH/blog/bang...rflash-launch/

UberFLASH launched in Bangkok

During this pilot project, we are accepting good quality taxi vehicles and allowing them to implement dynamic pricing via the Uber app,” she said.

So would expect a standard metered taxi, potentially also associated with Grab as the driver may be a bit more tech savvy, is a possibility with this Uber beta program. Although the taxi is probably rented in 12 hour shifts so shared among many drivers, and may not be a GrabTaxi at any particular moment.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I despise taxi drivers in BKK so I used AoT between BKK and my hotel. For trips within Bangkok that required a car, I used Uber but during one of the rides my driver was pulled over from the police and given a ticket. Since then, I realized that all my drivers have been hiding their phones from their dashboard and/or asking myself or my companion to get into the front seat due to the police. Disappointing that this is the case since there are a lot of taxi drivers who drive away if they're not happy with the fare and/or destination. I waited for a taxi at the St. Regis before getting into an Uber for roughly 20 minutes after the doorwoman was unable to get a taxi driver to drive us to our hotel.

I always recommend trying Grab(Taxi/Car) at least once. My progression is GrabTaxi, GrabCar, Uber but varies a lot on my location and destination. My primary concern is getting a vehicle as quickly as possible. I am often going between the city center and the suburbs. I also have a few local GrabCar drivers on LINE who I message first. They live very close to me, know where I live (difficult to find) and often come in a few minutes.

Uber vehicles are limos so require green license plates, so easy for the police to figure out who might be an Uber driver. It can be a pain. In a related issue, some Thais who are simply transporting foreign-looking friends have been pulled over and accused of being Uber drivers. In at least one case the Thai driver and passenger were surrounded by angry taxi drivers and held while the police were summoned.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'm sick and tired of Bangkok taxi drivers who refuse to go where I want to go (always in the CBD so no distance issues) or just quote a [high] flat fare and refuse to use the meter.

The first has always been a problem. The latter is just happening more frequently these days, even when I am speaking to the driver in Thai.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'm sick and tired of Bangkok taxi drivers who refuse to go where I want to go (always in the CBD so no distance issues) or just quote a [high] flat fare and refuse to use the meter.

The first has always been a problem. The latter is just happening more frequently these days, even when I am speaking to the driver in Thai.
Of the tens of thousands of official complaints made by Thais to the DLT, refusing to go to a destination is the number one complaint. Refusing to use the meter is usually #3 or #4 on the lists I've seen published.

After the police, I'd say taxi drivers are probably hated most?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Funny. I once had a Grab driver pick me up in Chiang Mai in his 12 passenger airport taxi van, complete with company name and phone number painted in large letters on the side of the van.
Yes, Uber flash seems like a "lottery" or something - but unlike other "rented" taxi's this one had WORKING seat belts , was clean without cigarette smell and a polite driver! (I paid 470ish baht from area near The Pen to bkk - I would guess about 100 more than meter with minimal traffic plus tolls - which were included in the uber fare). BTW grab car fares were at least 100 baht more.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: *A Gold, QF (ex-QP), AA, TG, A3 Gold, VA, SQ
Some of the stories here make me wonder if I've taken 100's of taxis in a different Bangkok to everyone else here, over the last 20 years. Rarely a driver will refuse my destination (so I just jump in the next cab, that usually arrives within 30 seconds), rarely do they want a flat rate (so again, get the next one), but most of the other supposed scams reported here I have either literally never experienced, or are so minor as to not be worth worrying about for the $1 difference they make. Compared to cities where the same distance costs 10 times as much, I much prefer Bangkok taxis. More of them could have passenger seat belts and better aircon, but that's about the extent of my gripes.
braslvr likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 11:01 pm

What's the best way (quickest, lowest chance of hassle, normal pricing) to go from BKK to a hotel in Lat Krabang? We will be a party of 4, which includes 2 kids. Arrival at BKK will be at midnight, so probably 1am or 2am by the time we are able to get in transport to the hotel.

I'd like to use Grab Taxi, but have never used it before. I don't know Thai; will I need to, in order to set pickup location and for the driver to pick us out of a crowd at the airport?

Same concern with Uber, though I've used it heavily in places but never had to speak much of the local language.

Should I just take a taxi? I figure it should be like 150 baht or so...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I had a trip today in Bangkok from Silom to Fortune Town - 167 via Grab Car, which I took because Uber said 286 at the exact same time (probably surge pricing). The app worked fine (had to first do an App store update), in some ways easier than Uber.

Also used Uber to/from Silom - BKK airport. Was 460 to Silom, 473 back to BKK, both middle of the day. I used Uber Flash both times, both times cars not taxis arrived. Less than 5 minutes wait each time.

For the truly nitpicky, I took the Uber from Door 2, I wonder if walking down to Door 5 would result in getting a car faster, the app seemed to show the car starting from that end, like they were also parking waiting but probably pushed along by police, etc. - ended up waiting for the driver to loop back around to Door 2.

Cheers!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Powers106
Also used Uber to/from Silom - BKK airport. Was 460 to Silom, 473 back to BKK, both middle of the day. I used Uber Flash both times, both times cars not taxis arrived. Less than 5 minutes wait each time.

For the truly nitpicky, I took the Uber from Door 2, I wonder if walking down to Door 5 would result in getting a car faster, the app seemed to show the car starting from that end, like they were also parking waiting but probably pushed along by police, etc. - ended up waiting for the driver to loop back around to Door 2.
Cheers!
That's overpriced compared to a taxi which would be in the range of 250-280 between Silom and BKK airport for a non peak period, but perhaps it includes toll charges? Even then, the toll shouldn't be more than an extra 55 baht max. With Uber you do get a private car.....
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
But how do you stop it? You don't speak Thai, and can't really jump out on the freeway from the airport by the time you realise the meter is fast. I think in many cases it just USD1 that we lose.
It can be much more than just $1....

The so called "fast meter" is mainly related to older model taxis as the DLT was considering to introduce a night rate about 16 years ago, so many of the taxis from this period have meters which are pre-programmed for a dual rate. (I'm leaving aside meters which have been intentionally rigged - a very serious offence in the eyes of the police). These older meters start button has to be pressed 2 or 3 times (depending on the meter model) to have this rate activated. Some have had new meters installed since so will not have the dual rate.

Basically, there are 3 models of registered taxis in BKK between the 20+ taxi companies and the owner drivers (yellow & green taxis). Newer models taxis from 2017/8, medium aged models from 2008-10 and old taxis from the turn of the century - early 2000s. It is these older taxis which can have the pre-programmed dual rate.
(You'll even see a few even older taxis from the 90s but they all tend to be unofficial, i.e.. unauthorised ones.)

There are a few simple steps which you can take to avoid this problem - which is as widespread as before in my view;

1) Only use new taxis - which are generally a more comfortable ride with better aircon,
2) If you do use an older taxi and the driver presses the button more than once to turn on the meter then that is a warning sign,
3) Use the 555 guide (prior to the last fare rise - which wasn't a rise at all but reduced the 35 baht initial fare distance from 2km to 1km - at 5 kms the fare was 55 baht. Currently, at 5 km the fare should be 57 baht! (This is excluding prolonged stoppages and the time charge per min). If the meter is between 57 and say 65 baht then you are okay. However, if it's 75-80 or higher then you are mostly likely being ripped off. It's not much of a difference if you're only going 5-8kms, but if you are doing 12-20km+ it will be an relatively significant difference. Two or 3 times the fare depending on the distance. 50% of taxis do carry the DLT distance fare table....probably another potential warning sign if your taxi doesn't.

In summary, new taxi, meter activated with one press and 555 guide.

Most drivers have given up on this tactic as they find plenty of gullible pax who stupidly agree to a fixed fare (unlawful pursuant to DLT regulations). Why run the risk when plenty of pax agree to 500 baht fare to and from the airports for fares which would be 200-250 baht on the meter. There's a reason why at any given time there are around 3k to 5k taxis waiting for hours in the taxi car park 2km from BKK terminal.....
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:42 pm

doesn't your hotel provide a shuttle (for free)? Many do - if not Grab or Uber both have English interface where you enter your location (by door number) and they give instructions where to wait (outer road if I'm remembering correctly) and you look for the car by license plate.

Originally Posted by 49er
What's the best way (quickest, lowest chance of hassle, normal pricing) to go from BKK to a hotel in Lat Krabang? We will be a party of 4, which includes 2 kids. Arrival at BKK will be at midnight, so probably 1am or 2am by the time we are able to get in transport to the hotel.

I'd like to use Grab Taxi, but have never used it before. I don't know Thai; will I need to, in order to set pickup location and for the driver to pick us out of a crowd at the airport?

Same concern with Uber, though I've used it heavily in places but never had to speak much of the local language.

Should I just take a taxi? I figure it should be like 150 baht or so...
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
That's overpriced compared to a taxi which would be in the range of 250-280 between Silom and BKK airport for a non peak period, but perhaps it includes toll charges? Even then, the toll shouldn't be more than an extra 55 baht max. With Uber you do get a private car.....
I think a taxi would be closer to 300 from Silom. Yes, Ubers include toll charges (75) and all my rides have been in nice, clean cars. So yes, there is a premium to taking a taxi but the convenience (and seatbelts tbh) is worth it for me.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I arrived Friday, 16 Feb. ~ 23:45 and utilized the official taxi queue. There was no wait - most of the arrivals (~615 on my flight alone) were probably on group tours with coach service - and the taxi was new, clean, well-operated, meter started immediately, fare accurate (same trip made multiple times), driver handled bags.

When I got dropped off, 12 Feb ~ 11:00, there was an arriving passenger who immediately stepped into my cab on level 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.