Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2020, 3:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Is that in addition to the broken meter surcharge?
estnet, Kalboz and joorinainen like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange. There are no international passengers arriving - they get bussed directly to ASQ facilities.

So domestic arriving passengers, who for the most part will be Thais, will be the first to experience this. Should be fun to watch the videos posted of the arguments.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
More details and this appears to apply everywhere not just airport:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/...ernal_referral
Kalboz likes this.

Last edited by estnet; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:12 pm
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:31 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by transpac
Strange. There are no international passengers arriving - they get bussed directly to ASQ facilities.

So domestic arriving passengers, who for the most part will be Thais, will be the first to experience this. Should be fun to watch the videos posted of the arguments.
We arrived Friday last week from Phuket and taxi'd back home from BKK. No luggage fee charged, but we only had a roller and small duffel. Of course, he decided to "save" us the tolls and took the Bang Na hwy which was very crowded and probably ended up costing as much/more that the tolls to Bang Chak.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
More details and this appears to apply everywhere not just airport:

It's a new rule, so like everything here you have to wait and see, but I'd be shocked if this applied to any taxi other than at BKK or DMK. Maybe the Nation article just failed to clarify that.

But do assume that when/if tourists return to Thailand that they will be hit with this fee when going back to the airport.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BP article is even more confusing. It does mention to/from BKK/DMK.

Evidently something was Gazetted, but that's in Thai of course.

The default will be 100 baht probably, maybe negotiable downwards?

Taxi passengers now face luggage charges

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning...uggage-charges
Kalboz likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:50 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Are there taxi vans? Will be traveling in a group of four with four carry ons and two large checked bags. We would like to all be in one car if possible.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Are there taxi vans? Will be traveling in a group of four with four carry ons and two large checked bags. We would like to all be in one car if possible.
There are - you can request a bigger car in the taxi queue. Not sure if they will charge you more though (I seem to recall them wanting 100 baht instead of 50 baht for the airport surcharge for big cars, but that was many years ago)
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
There are - you can request a bigger car in the taxi queue. Not sure if they will charge you more though (I seem to recall them wanting 100 baht instead of 50 baht for the airport surcharge for big cars, but that was many years ago)
this request is done on those little computer things in the queue?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
this request is done on those little computer things in the queue?
Yep. I actually believe there are separate queue lanes for the big and normal cars along with local area taxis (as opposed to city). I would not expect any issues, unless of course there are supply constraints at your time of arrival.

Another option would be to book AOT’s limo service - going to central Bangkok would set you back 1,100 baht for an Isuzu SUV which would have plenty of space for luggage.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Taxi this morning from central Bangkok to BKK.

First taxi driver wanted 500 thb flat rate. I declined.

Hotel employee asked me if I wanted him to get me a taxi.....I said yes and use meter.

Driver agreed to use meter. About three minutes from when we left the hotel, he told me it was 600 thb "everything included." I negotiated down to 400thb, tolls included, simply because I didn't want to start all over again with another scammer.

(I usually use Bolt or Grab.....lesson learned, again.)
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
I've had 3 experiences from BKK to Silom in the past month. Varied quite widely.
First experience was July 28th (there may have been some holiday as there were no highway tolls that day) - total was 350THB to the Meridien hotel at 15.00
Second experience was less pleasant - aggressive driver, asked for cash for tolls to pay (though he did give me all receipts - tolls were 75THB) - total incl. tolls was 500THB to Pullman Hotel G at 16.30.
First and second experience were metered taxis from the machine on -1 level
Third experience was with Grab - very pleasant overall - payment by card as opposed to cash - tolls again 75THB (driver paid). Total incl. tolls was 470THB to Pullman Hotel G at 17.00

I have two Grab fares from Meridien and Pullman G respectively (14.30 and 07.15) and they were 440THB (25THB toll - driver paid) and 455THB (75THB toll - driver paid) from late July/early August.

I will use Grab again today as I find the convenience much better and I don't want to have to deal with another aggressive taxi driver in cash fares and toll confusions. For me the fare differences between taxis and 'Grab Car' are minimal and the convenience and lack of stress make it a better overall experience.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisBub
I've had 3 experiences from BKK to Silom in the past month. Varied quite widely.
First experience was July 28th (there may have been some holiday as there were no highway tolls that day) - total was 350THB to the Meridien hotel at 15.00
Second experience was less pleasant - aggressive driver, asked for cash for tolls to pay (though he did give me all receipts - tolls were 75THB) - total incl. tolls was 500THB to Pullman Hotel G at 16.30.
First and second experience were metered taxis from the machine on -1 level
Third experience was with Grab - very pleasant overall - payment by card as opposed to cash - tolls again 75THB (driver paid). Total incl. tolls was 470THB to Pullman Hotel G at 17.00

I have two Grab fares from Meridien and Pullman G respectively (14.30 and 07.15) and they were 440THB (25THB toll - driver paid) and 455THB (75THB toll - driver paid) from late July/early August.

I will use Grab again today as I find the convenience much better and I don't want to have to deal with another aggressive taxi driver in cash fares and toll confusions. For me the fare differences between taxis and 'Grab Car' are minimal and the convenience and lack of stress make it a better overall experience.
yes indeed 28. July was Kings Birthday, therefore long weekend and tolls free (sometimes only tolls outside Bangkok are free while you have to pay within Bangkok)

Grab: so where did you meet the Grab driver? on which level or in the parking building?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 3:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BinSabai
yes indeed 28. July was Kings Birthday, therefore long weekend and tolls free (sometimes only tolls outside Bangkok are free while you have to pay within Bangkok)

Grab: so where did you meet the Grab driver? on which level or in the parking building?
When I got a Grab back in May, it was Arrivals Floor 2 door 7 outer road for the meeting point.
BinSabai likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
When you are booking you get the option of most of the departure or arrival doors, or Parking Zone 2 or 4.
BinSabai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.