Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
a sensible traveller always reviews options: complacency isn't sensible

Uber is/was a perfect solution at airport arrivals only when you are assured of internet access, and only when you are confident you understand pick-up arrangements/locations. For first-tme airports this could engender a high degree of insecurity without research, though i acknowledge that once you understand the set-up and its limitations, then given internet access you are onto a winner.
The first time I arrive at an airport, I default to having the hotel meet me, unless there's a better (and obvious) solution. I've never gone wrong using that approach.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave111
We are heading to the Anantara Riverside from BKK. Hotel has offered us a price 3200THB
Will AOT be much cheaper.
It obviously depends on the vehicle but my recollection is that the Camry might be 1,500 THB, and the SUV might be 1,250 THB to this general location. Those prices are all in (VAT and tolls included), one-way travel from the airport (SBIA/BKK) to the hotel.

Depending on the time of day, and number of arrivals there may be a few hundred greeters outside each of the two Customs exits ("B" or "C"). Your potential greeter, say from a hotel, could be at either exit, and while they should be able to determine which exit you might pop out of (based on flight/baggage carousel number), things can still get mixed up a bit. I think there is one single designated "meeting point" somewhere, maybe between the two exits.
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
We are heading to the Anantara Riverside from BKK. Hotel has offered us a price 3200THB
Will AOT be much cheaper.
Around 1200 or so (total cost, not 1200 off the 3200)
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Has anyone tried to get a taxi from the departures level recently?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:48 am

I am looking at the GRAB app.
For normal rides within Bangkok - would you select CAR or TAXI
cheers
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
cheers
I would choose CAR - it's similar to your basic Uber, private citizen picks you up and takes you to your destination. TAXI will get you an actual taxi and I generally prefer to avoid Thai taxi drivers.

IME, mostly in Chiang Mai, the CAR price will be slightly lower than the TAXI price.
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

cheers
You can choose either. I use Grab 3 - 4 times per week these days, I default to the shortest wait-time. You get some interesting vehicles with the Grab Car option.

I haven't tried Line Man Taxi yet, although I do use Line Man for food delivery frequently.
dave111 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:50 am

I see on the thaiairways website they have a link for https://thai.rideways.com
Similar prices to AOT?
1320 Baht from BKK to Siam Square. ( meet and greet in arrivals)
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
cheers
Question, and excuse my ignorance: If you order a TAXI does it work like a normal taxi where you argue over using the meter and pay cash at the end of the ride or like a traditional Uber where the price is set before you get in the taxi and charged to your cc?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Question, and excuse my ignorance: If you order a TAXI does it work like a normal taxi where you argue over using the meter and pay cash at the end of the ride or like a traditional Uber where the price is set before you get in the taxi and charged to your cc?
If you use the taxi then the meter runs as a normal taxi would but the driver then finalizes everything through the app. I've only done this once or twice (and LINE MAN once) and it was relatively easy and hassle free. I prefer the car with a set price but sometimes that difference between the taxi and car is great enough to go with this option.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
If you use the taxi then the meter runs as a normal taxi would but the driver then finalizes everything through the app. I've only done this once or twice (and LINE MAN once) and it was relatively easy and hassle free. I prefer the car with a set price but sometimes that difference between the taxi and car is great enough to go with this option.
Thanks. I prefer the set price Uber-style, too, versus the argument to get the meter on or the rip-off amount the taxi driver tries to get. My thought was i could avoid the slightly higher cost of taking money out at the airport ATM if the taxi could be charged, but then I remembered I would still need cash to tip the bellman and the hotel isn't a reliable exchange late at night, although I think the hotel staff will except tips in dollars.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thanks. I prefer the set price Uber-style, too, versus the argument to get the meter on or the rip-off amount the taxi driver tries to get. My thought was i could avoid the slightly higher cost of taking money out at the airport ATM if the taxi could be charged, but then I remembered I would still need cash to tip the bellman and the hotel isn't a reliable exchange late at night, although I think the hotel staff will except tips in dollars.
Lordy me, how this thread rumbles on with tales of cheating and scams. I'm a relatively infrequent BKK user, maybe half a dozen times a year, some years more. I've only been "scammed" once, and that was when i took a taxi from the departures level even then the scam was just that the driver stole my time by taking me via a filling station and leaving the meter running while he negotiated his fill-up. Quite possibly I've been scammed without noticing, which means the sums concerned were insignificant. And yes, I've sometimes have to remind the driver to put on the meter - but no drama.

I'm not being smug. I know other folk have had more serious troubles. But I've has more cab-related nastiness, and more serious nastiness, at some European airports than at Bangkok.

The scale, scope and frequency of BKK scams seem so low that this thread seems to scare readers unnecessarily.

It means that in my world worrying about the potential loss of a couple of dollars in taxi fares, while also worrying about running around finding change to tip hotel porters seems odd. If you don't have the cash, don't tip. If you are concerned, track the porter down the next day and give him something. OK, I realise tipping cultures are different for US travellers;, but, still, planning a trip to arrange a stop to get change to give porters seems weird to a cheapskate Brit
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
]It means that in my world worrying about the potential loss of a couple of dollars in taxi fares, while also worrying about running around finding change to tip hotel porters seems odd. If you don't have the cash, don't tip. If you are concerned, track the porter down the next day and give him something. OK, I realise tipping cultures are different for US travellers;, but, still, planning a trip to arrange a stop to get change to give porters seems weird to a cheapskate Brit
Sorry if being prepared to pay for a service when it is used seems odd to you, but the bellman deserves to be paid and shouldn't have to be tracked down later because I was too lazy or unprepared to pay for a service I knew I would be using.You should never stand in the way of someone getting paid immediately for a job done, but if you think it is okay to use a low wage worker and maybe hunt him down later to pay him then you and I are very different. I couldn't imagine thinking the bellman should carry my bags for free or on credit, but maybe that's me be a rude American.

If someone is going to travel the person should be prepared to pay for expected expenses.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Sorry if being prepared to pay for a service when it is used seems odd to you, but the bellman deserves to be paid and shouldn't have to be tracked down later because I was too lazy or unprepared to pay for a service I knew I would be using.
At the risk of opening up the whole tipping debate yet again, one could argue that the bellman is paid by his/her employer, and that assisting guests with their luggage is his/her job. One might take the position that tips are for service above and beyond what is required for one's job.
IAN-UK and dsquared37 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
At the risk of opening up the whole tipping debate yet again, one could argue that the bellman is paid by his/her employer, and that assisting guests with their luggage is his/her job. One might take the position that tips are for service above and beyond what is required for one's job.
You are correct. Nobody wants to reopen that can of worms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.