Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IluvSQ
READ THIS FIRST:
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Taxi at Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK)

BKK Terminal Map

Source: AOT

MAP KEY

Arrival Gates - Level Two
Immigration
Baggage Claim Carousels
Customs and Exits to Landside Terminal Area
Elevators/Escalators to Ground Floor Level One
Numbered Exits to Outside (taxi queues are near exits 4 & 7)

WHAT TO DO

Taxis accept cash only. There are ATMs and currency exchangers inside the terminal.
  • Take an elevator or escalator down to the ground level.
  • Follow the signs to one of the two taxi queues outside of the terminal on Level One.
  • The taxi queue attendant will ask your destination and write it on a taxi slip. UPDATE: There are no longer attendants to write your destination at BKK. You get a slip from a touchscreen kiosk which directs you to a parking stall number where you meet your car/driver.
  • The larger part of the taxi slip is yours to keep, the smaller part goes to your driver. Be sure to keep your taxi slip as it contains information you will need if a problem arises. Do not give your portion of the taxi slip to the driver, even if he asks for it. UPDATE: There is no portion of the new slip from the kiosk to give the driver.

BASE COST
  • Airport Fee - THB 50 per taxi levied from the airport (never to the airport)
  • THB 35 - flag drop through 1km
  • +THB 5.50/km for kilometers 1+ through 10
  • +THB 6.50/km for kilometers 10+ through 20
  • +THB 7.50/km for kilometers 20-40
  • +THB 2 per minute waiting or standing in traffic (less than 6kph)

TOLLS
  • THB 75 to city center (two toll booths)
  • THB 60 to DMK

SAMPLE FARES FROM BKK TO...
Amounts are approximate and will vary with traffic, specific drop point, etc.
  • City Center - THB 170-200
  • Grand Palace - THB 215
  • Don Mueang Airport (DMK) - THB 290
  • Hua Hin - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)
  • Pattaya - THB ___ (typically a negotiated flat fee)

FARE CALCULATOR TOOLS
Reasonably accurate fare estimates are available from a number of websites and apps. These services provide estimated base fares only. Calculations do not include traffic, tolls, airport fees, etc. Reliability varies - use at your own risk.
FAQs

Q: Should I use the hotel's airport transfer service instead of a taxi?A: It depends on your comfort zone, budget, time of day, number of people/bags, etc. In general, the cost will probably be about two to three times the typical taxi fare, or more. If you are relatively new to Asia, it might be a bit overwhelming, and you might find it reassuring to see someone holding a sign with your name as you walk out of baggage claim.
Q: Is it best to take the expressway or surface streets?A: Depending on your destination and time of day, surface streets might be quicker and/or shorter. However, expressway tolls will usually add less than THB 200 to the trip (see above), so you may wish to defer to your driver.

Q: What types of scams should I watch for?A: The most common thing you'll encounter is taxi drivers who do not want to use the meter. They will often ask for a flat fee that is usually much higher than the meter would register. If a driver refuses to use the meter, it's best to exit the taxi and get another. Do not get angry or argue with the driver. If a driver demands more money on arrival at your hotel, wait until your bags have been offloaded from the vehicle, then seek out a porter or other hotel employee to assist you. Again, do not get angry or argue with the driver. A driver may say there is a THB 50 fee to go to the airport. There is no fee to go TO the airport. If the fee is mentioned at the outset, get out and flag down a new taxi. If it is mentioned upon arrival at the airport, remove all your belongings from the taxi and calmly state that there is no such fee while handing over the metered amount. If the driver is insistent, offering to call over a police officer to assist will usually put an end to the discussion.

Q: What is the most common meter scam?
A: Very often, when you enter the taxi, the meter is obscured with a rag or towel, so you do not see that it has been running prior to your entrance,
and is now well over 100 Baht. Always ensure that you observe the driver starting the meter.
Q: If the driver does scam me, how much money are we talking about?A: Usually no more than THB 200-300, which is about USD 7-10
Q: I think I still have other questions...A: Just hit the reply button and get feedback from other helpful FlyerTalkers who take Bangkok taxis regularly!

Q: This all sounds like hassle. Is there some way I can use a small amount of money to make that go away?A: The AOT limo stands before and immediately after customs are trustworthy, although their initial quote will be for their most expensive vehicle. Ask for the Isuzu SUV. You'll be looking at 1,050THB / $33.50 to the center of town, inclusive of all fees and fares, and a small increment on that for a sedan. Credit cards are accepted. You will get a printed receipt before you get in the taxi. The vehicle will be well-driven, clean, and will have seatbelts.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker c_9 for building this wikipost.

This is a member-maintained wiki. FlyerTalkers are invited to update, add missing information and make corrections as needed. Thanks for helping out!
Print Wikipost

Catching a taxi at BKK and general Thailand taxi discussion

Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Informpage
Going to Soi 8 off Sukhumvit Rd, usually take a cab, but was considering using the airport link to avoid whatever traffic mess is caused by protests, Figuring Asok would be more of a bottle neck than usual, but it sounds like there's not a lot of complaints of traffic on Sukhumvit Road? (Land at 7pm)
Actually it is a bottleneck at that time as you get close to soi 19 which everyone is using as a bypass given the Asoke protest site (and soi 23 on the other side).

I'd take a taxi as it can enter east bound sukhumvit direct from the expressway. Then exit at the top of soi 11 and just cross the road to soi 8 and walk up to your digs (you'd be doing the same walk if you took the ARL-MRT-BTS combo). That way your taxi doesn't have to go slowly down Sukhumvit towards soi 19 to do the U-turn in order to enter soi 8 which could take some 20mins or so...

Your taxi might try to be ambitious and do an illegal right turn into soi 8 from Suk rd but that is usually very difficult if not impossible as west bound traffic turning into soi 11 blocks the way.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Originally Posted by Yappofloyd
Actually it is a bottleneck at that time as you get close to soi 19 which everyone is using as a bypass given the Asoke protest site (and soi 23 on the other side).

I'd take a taxi as it can enter east bound sukhumvit direct from the expressway. Then exit at the top of soi 11 and just cross the road to soi 8 and walk up to your digs (you'd be doing the same walk if you took the ARL-MRT-BTS combo). That way your taxi doesn't have to go slowly down Sukhumvit towards soi 19 to do the U-turn in order to enter soi 8 which could take some 20mins or so...

Your taxi might try to be ambitious and do an illegal right turn into soi 8 from Suk rd but that is usually very difficult if not impossible as west bound traffic turning into soi 11 blocks the way.
Exactly what I would advise...although go for the illegal turn if no cars oncoming
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is pretty easy to make that right turn onto Soi 8, or make a u-turn (outbound) now at Soi 11/Soi 8 - the temporary barriers have been removed - given there is very little traffic in-bound there on Sukhumvit. I've seen a lot of cars and taxis doing that, and been in ~ 8 taxis so far myself - they never would have done it previously, and I assume the police are forgiving given the traffic situation at Asoke?

You could also exit your taxi at Soi 7, go up the Nana/BTS escalator, then back down the stairs on the other side and walk past Soi 6 to Soi 8. Crossing Sukhumvit on foot might be challenging there.

Last edited by transpac; Feb 28, 2014 at 3:09 am
Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transpac
It is pretty easy to make that right turn onto Soi 8, or make a u-turn (outbound) now at Soi 11/Soi 8 - the temporary barriers have been removed - given there is very little traffic in-bound there on Sukhumvit. I've seen a lot of cars and taxis doing that, and been in ~ 8 taxis so far myself - they never would have done it previously, and I assume the police are forgiving given the traffic situation at Asoke?

You could also exit your taxi at Soi 7, go up the Nana/BTS escalator, then back down the stairs on the other side and walk past Soi 6 to Soi 8. Crossing Sukhumvit on foot might be challenging there.
Assuming you don't have a lot of bags, true.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by transpac

That was the plan, going up and over, but there was such light-ish traffic and the driver was still droning on how I should have gone with his offer for 400 bhat flat because I had to put a bag in the front seat I was done interacting with him. Really the only people going towards Asoke were people making u turns. Didn't seem like the barriers would allow for an earlier left then usual. Thanks guys.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use GrabTaxi if you want a metered cab.
Have you, or anyone else here, used GrabTaxi here in Bangkok?

Any experiences, especially details, would be appreciated.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: OneWorld, SkyTeam
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Assuming you don't have a lot of bags, true.
Actually, it would have been fairly easy, plenty were doing last night, but now Asoke has reopened and traffic is back to normal.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I think 225 is about correct using the Tollways. IMO the distance traveled is a bit longer. Mine was 199 because the surface streets take a more direct route.

As for 250, I have an opinion on these fares that are close but over. As dsquared37 mentioned recently, some meters count minutes and add 'waiting' time to the fare even though the entire journey is at highway speed. This can add 30THB to a 20 miinute ride (1.5THB/minute). Sound about right?
The "scam" that I have encountered several times ( say 5-6 times out of
over 100 cab rides from BKK) is that the meter is already running when you
get into the cab. The driver had turned it on when he parked, and the
waiting time brings the meter up so that the first click occurs when you just pull away. That adds about 20-30 baht to the total, since you are not getting
the mileage that should be included in the drop.

Solution is to be certain that you see the meter turned on and the flag drop.
Admittedly, I sometimes forget this until too late.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The "scam" that I have encountered several times ( say 5-6 times out of
over 100 cab rides from BKK) is that the meter is already running when you
get into the cab. The driver had turned it on when he parked, and the
waiting time brings the meter up so that the first click occurs when you just pull away. That adds about 20-30 baht to the total, since you are not getting
the mileage that should be included in the drop.

Solution is to be certain that you see the meter turned on and the flag drop.
Admittedly, I sometimes forget this until too late.
make sure meter says 35 THB when you enter taxi. The meter adds the wait time charges as they occur....if thet meter says more than 35 THB make him reset it or get another taxi
Old Mar 4, 2014, 1:22 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I've seen this scam before too. The meter will still say 35THB, but the km will have already clicked up. As soon as you move, it jumps to 37. But, while you are still loading up, it still says 35.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by skibum7732
make sure meter says 35 THB when you enter taxi. The meter adds the wait time charges as they occur....if thet meter says more than 35 THB make him reset it or get another taxi
You can also clearly see on most meters the accumulated wait time and mileage. Small numbers, but they can be seen. Should be 0/0. Of course some taxis may argue (as they do in the states) that if a hotel flags them down and they stop and agree to the fare, they are on the clock while you are loading and getting in.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
You can also clearly see on most meters the accumulated wait time and mileage. Small numbers, but they can be seen. Should be 0/0. Of course some taxis may argue (as they do in the states) that if a hotel flags them down and they stop and agree to the fare, they are on the clock while you are loading and getting in.
They should be seen but a handful of taxis i've taken recently had one OR the other or neither functioning. Since the routes being traveled were known well to me it really didn't matter in the long run.... but it sure made for interesting conversation once at my destination.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A taxi should be around 300 THB. YOu can get an airport or hotel limo for 1000 baht.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Mar 19, 2014 at 11:27 am Reason: Post copied from another thread; removed unrelated quote.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:25 am
Suspended

A taxi should be around 300 THB. YOu can get an airport or hotel limo for 1000 baht.
if you don't want to drive on the tollway you might find a taxi for 300 baht. most taxis use a fixed rate to the airport of 500 baht.

anyway, it's dirt cheap, even at limo prices.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:29 pm

If the cabbie won't flip the meter, don't get in. Don't take taxis that hang around the hotels, they're going to over-charge you. At the hotel tell your doorman that you want taxi-meter. If the driver wants a flat rate, get out and complain to the doorman and/or the front desk. It's always best to grab on one the move. Guys that are parked are lazy and usually won't use the meter. No tollway (which means no traffic) to/from say Asoke is 200 or less. I've gotten there for as low as 170. To/from Lumpini will be a little more and from the River will be a little more than that. Tchiowa is correct though. 300 should do it from anywhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.