Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
This thread is for Thailand news/events and general discussion. It is meant to reduce clutter in the main forum. If you notice a topic here that deserves its own thread, please alert a moderator.

READ FIRST: Thailand Lounge-Thread Guidelines

• This thread is subject to the general FlyerTalk Rules and will be moderated accordingly.

• Like all FT Forum Lounges, this thread provides a place for members to engage in off-topic discussion. Please be reminded, however, that this is not OMNI or OMNI/PR. Content that strays too far into such controversial areas as politics or religion may be edited, moved or deleted by moderators.

• As always, when challenging other members' viewpoints and opinions, please do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Posts containing personal attacks are unacceptable and will be deleted. Replies to such posts will also be deleted.

• Please alert a moderator to any concerns via the "Report Bad Post" button that appears in the lower left corner of every post.

• Repetitive posting that unnecessarily clutters the thread, or appears to be for the primary purpose of post-padding, is subject to merging or deletion. If you wish to reply to several prior posts, please use the multi-quote function to create a single response.

Special thanks to FlyerTalker Kalboz for launching the original Thai News & Open Discussion lounge back in 2009!
Print Wikipost

Thailand Forum Lounge-Thread: Thai News & Open Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been following this a bit on Twitter, and it's clear that without the intense social media attention she might have ended up Khashoggi-ed. And the history, as a result of the Saudi Gem Heist and subsequent murders and cover-ups, between the two Kingdoms probably helped her situation?

As Saudi Arabia charge d’affaires in Bangkok Mr. Alshuaibi said “they should have took her phone instead of her passport”.

Saudi teen runaway in Bangkok is 'legitimate refugee': UN

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/wor...ate-refugee-un
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Interesting that initially reports were she was "just transiting" but suddenly today the story changes to blame the airline with Thai authorities claiming 1 she did not have a return ticket and 2 she did not have an onward ticket to Australia so they will fine the airline for "insufficient documentation" AND review the laws that govern these fines/laws

Thai immigration warn Kuwait Airways over Saudi teen
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by estnet
Interesting that initially reports were she was "just transiting" but suddenly today the story changes to blame the airline with Thai authorities claiming 1 she did not have a return ticket and 2 she did not have an onward ticket to Australia so they will fine the airline for "insufficient documentation" AND review the laws that govern these fines/laws

Thai immigration warn Kuwait Airways over Saudi teen
This is certainly a different twist to the story. Sounds like she was very lucky. She got to keep her phone and to travel as far as BKK without onward travel ticket. It is now unlikely Kuwait Airlines will allow anyone else to do this now.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This is certainly a different twist to the story. Sounds like she was very lucky. She got to keep her phone and to travel as far as BKK without onward travel ticket. It is now unlikely Kuwait Airlines will allow anyone else to do this now.
Theoretically they are supposed to check if passenger has return ticket or sufficient funds not to become a burden.

I had a TG ticket booked with UA miles from SIN to BKK, and they gave me a REALLY hard time about not having a return ticket until I showed them a few hundred dollar bills and almost half dozen credit cards.

FWIW, I've never been asked for anything at Thai Immigration, though I normally have a return ticket, this was only the second time.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 9, 2019 at 5:17 pm Reason: OOOPS, how didi that NOT get in there :rolleyes:
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Theoretically they are not supposed to check if passenger has return ticket or sufficient funds not to become a burden.

I believe Saudi Arabian women, regardless of age, need the written permission of their legal male guardian (husband, father, etc.) to travel. So maybe another item to be checked before allowing boarding? And her father is said to be a "Governor" in KSA.

I'm not clear on what exactly happened here, even a review of her Twitter feed doesn't provide a lot of detail. Maybe she had a ticket through to Australia, but was detained for reasons unknown making the int'l-int'l connection? Maybe the KSA authorities asked the Thai authorities to detain her in the international transit area. Or else she planned to buy a ticket in Bangkok to Australia - some reports say she had a tourist visa for OZ - but was stopped at the VoA channel (Visa on arrival, KSA is one of the countries) for lack of onward travel within 15 days, or sufficient funds?

There have also been reports of a betrothal so the father may be on the hot-seat to provide a bride, or face the sword?

Last edited by transpac; Jan 9, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
What is not clear is if the original story that she already had an onward ticket or not. If so no need to go to VOA at all - also contradicts original report that Saudi officials met her at the gate! Sooo grateful not to live in a country where I am treated as a non person.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Theoretically they are supposed to check if passenger has return ticket or sufficient funds not to become a burden.

I had a TG ticket booked with UA miles from SIN to BKK, and they gave me a REALLY hard time about not having a return ticket until I showed them a few hundred dollar bills and almost half dozen credit cards.

FWIW, I've never been asked for anything at Thai Immigration, though I normally have a return ticket, this was only the second time.
I've been asked by originating airline USA- BKK sometimes but never asked to show the actual return ticket and NEVER asked at Thai immigration. Could be that I am older and going through Priority line in BKK - but still with the huge lines I've never seen anyone asked for additional paperwork (return ticket).
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canada Grants Asylum To Saudi Woman Who Fled Her Family

Canada has granted asylum to the 18-year-old Saudi woman who barricaded herself in a Bangkok hotel room after escaping what she called abuse and oppression by family members.

"The UNHCR has made a request of Canada that we accept Ms. Alqunun as a refugee, and we have accepted the U.N.'s request that we grant her asylum," Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters Friday, referring to the office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/11/68445...led-her-family
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:09 am

According to The Nation she left yesterday for Canada

UNHCR welcomes Saudi teen's resettlement in Canada

Canada takes in Saudi teen asylum seeker
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:46 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by estnet
What is not clear is if the original story that she already had an onward ticket or not. If so no need to go to VOA at all.
As anyone who has flown from the Middle East can attest to, there’s NO WAY she didn’t have onward travel. These countries are very strict and nobody gets checked in for their flight without a visa or proof of onward travel. In Bahrain, a few months ago, it took me an hour and several supervisors to accept my Thai re-entry permit instead of onward travel. The process was just as severe flying from KSA.

It’s no surprise that she went to Canada. Their row last year with Saudi still has people riled up, with citizens demanding a cancellation of upcoming arms and military sales/shipments. The Canadian PM almost wears his distain for them as a badge of honour.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:16 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
For at least 5 hours today, Democracy movement advocates staged a demonstration at the Ratchadamri/Ratchaprasong intersection just at the corner of Gaysorn. Police dispersed the crowds and sent them home before 9 PM without any violence. There were police with dogs at every BTS station I was at today. It seems like election crisis are brewing again!

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
As anyone who has flown from the Middle East can attest to, there’s NO WAY she didn’t have onward travel. These countries are very strict and nobody gets checked in for their flight without a visa or proof of onward travel. In Bahrain, a few months ago, it took me an hour and several supervisors to accept my Thai re-entry permit instead of onward travel. The process was just as severe flying from KSA.

It’s no surprise that she went to Canada. Their row last year with Saudi still has people riled up, with citizens demanding a cancellation of upcoming arms and military sales/shipments. The Canadian PM almost wears his distain for them as a badge of honour.

Good for Canada & congratulations to the teen!

I hate to assume, but I'm 99% positive that she had assistance and support network before embarking on such an undertaking. Female members (and even some males) of her family most likely assisted her and probably arranged something (wassata) at the airport to get this done. Kuwait is a conservative country but it is much more liberal than KSA.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There were police with dogs at every BTS station I was at today. It seems like election crisis are brewing again!

I was on the BTS quite a bit both Saturday and Sunday and didn't notice the special branch police or K9 units. It was "Children's Day" (both Sat and Sun), and a bazillion tourists, so trains were packed.

The ruling military Junta wants to push elections out again, for the 14th or 15th time, due to the Coronation, and I think even regular folks are getting a bit tired of the delays? On the plus side, no bar closures or alcohol sales bans over two consecutive weekends when they hold pesky elections. The Junta will allow elections when it is very obvious that they can retain power, and that may take a few more years?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:14 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Agree, but there have been three bits of the story floating around which seem to contradict each other.

1) She was met at the plane by Thai authorities accompanying Saudi embassy staff.
2) She barricaded herself in the transit hotel which would mean she had an onward ticket and was able to get up to the departures floor.
3) She was stopped at the VOA desk as she didn't have funds or an onward ticket.

Anyway, good that she is now in a place where she can try to continue with her life according to her own wishes.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by transpac
There were police with dogs at every BTS station I was at today. It seems like election crisis are brewing again!

I was on the BTS quite a bit both Saturday and Sunday and didn't notice the special branch police or K9 units. It was "Children's Day" (both Sat and Sun), and a bazillion tourists, so trains were packed.

The ruling military Junta wants to push elections out again, for the 14th or 15th time, due to the Coronation, and I think even regular folks are getting a bit tired of the delays? On the plus side, no bar closures or alcohol sales bans over two consecutive weekends when they hold pesky elections. The Junta will allow elections when it is very obvious that they can retain power, and that may take a few more years?

Here's another one with a different dog! This one was on the BTS with us getting off at Phrom Phong.

I'm keen about the Children's Day as my kids fully participated in the festivities at the 2nd Royal Cavalry King's Guards barracks at Sanam Pao
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another one with a different dog! This one was on the BTS with us getting off at Phrom Phong.

I can see his "Special Branch" (191/RTP) keystone patch. My guess was this was for show on Children's Day and not due to "political" issues. ISOC (RTA) and the Junta have tens of thousands embedded and monitoring the "political situation".

But that's just a guess as I didn't see anything similar on dozens of lengthy BTS and MRT trips over the weekend, before and after. The Special Branch guys usually move in teams of two, during times of duress.
Kalboz likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.